Thread: Re-finishing an LP53 barrel.

Question Re-finishing an LP53 barrel.

Would appreciate any recommendations for any company who can restore the colour on my Walther LP53 break-barrel air pistol barrel.
    Unfortunately the material isn't simple steel (so it can't be "blued"), it's some sort of aluminium alloy sleeve over a steel .177 cal. liner. The colour has got worn off where the barrel is gripped if the wooden cocking aid isn't used.
    Been in contact with Carl Walther Germany who confirm that the original factory finish was a form of anodize, but tacked onto the end of their reply were the words "but it's not much use......!" ??!! Think the last bit lost something in the translation!
    Ta very much!
    PS: only just joined the BBS - this is my first post, so please excuse any goofs - got a lot to learn.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Welcome aboard! That's a tough one. The body of the LP53 has a kind of crackle-finish paint on it, and Walther say the barrel is anodised ... There must be something that binds to aluminium alloy and turns it black ... Can only think it might be an idea to ring up a company that makes scope mounts like Sports Match and see if they can help. They make things out of aluminium alloy and anodise them or black them some how, so they should know.

I LOVE the LP53 but it is a bit of a collectors item now (i.e. expensive!) so I have never owned one myself. Quality piece of kit it is too.

This company popped out of Google, but it may be that they don't do small jobs for individuals. Worth giving them a call anyway.

http://www.tecan.co.uk/UK/_03Metalfinishing.html
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 03-04-2005 at 12:47 AM.

Rat Reaper Guest
    There's a tool company called 'Chronos' (search engine will locate web site) who sell a range of products under the 'Koolblak' name, these come in a range of kits for different metals and colour finishes. Not affiliated with them in any way, just do a bit of model engineering as a hobby.

Acrylic Satin Black car spray is as good as anything, apart from a professional refinish.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Keep it quiet ...

But there is an article on THE OTHER FORUM - airgunforum.net , in the technical section called 'Anodising Small Parts' which might be helpful to you.

Thanks guys (& gals?). Will follow up yr suggestions & keep you posted on the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee
    Keep it quiet ...

But there is an article on THE OTHER FORUM - airgunforum.net , in the technical section called 'Anodising Small Parts' which might be helpful to you.
    Gotta get signed up for this one first, but will give it a try.
    Thanks v. much!

Have look here and scroll down to Birchwood Casey products - there's a product which is designed to blacken aluminium...

HTH

Rat Reaper Guest
    Damned good link that