Thread: Osprey

Smile Osprey

Here's the thing.

My Osprey is missing the fore-sight. The barrel diameter is machined to accept the sight; it measures 0.5625" dia x 1.375".
    I think that is 9/16" x 1 3/8" for you old school types

Can anyone confirm that the Webley Hawk MK2 sight is identical to the Osprey? Can they be interchanged?
    The question is this. Chambers has them listed with the same stock number; which is a bit of a hint ( but currently unavailable ) .
    What say ye gentlemen?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 20-08-2012 at 11:51 AM.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    The original plastic sight was the same general shape, but was relieved on the bottom of the ramp to allow for the Osprey's thicker barrel. The original sights aren't interchangeable. However, Webley re-designed their fore-sights part way through the Hawk MkIII production run so that they were made of alloy and much stronger than the originals, which were prone to cracking. The alloy sights are interchangeable between Hawk, Osprey and Vulcan Mk1. They may fit others, but I'm not sure. The ones Chambers will be supplying are the later, alloy ones.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Thanks Harry.

Are they not interchangeable due to the relief or is it more complex, like centre heights, diameters etc?

I may have access to one; if it just a matter of relieving the ramp section, then that is possible.

Unless someone has an alloy version available or is willing to provide the specifications so I can fabricate a unit.

"Moccona has more Mmmmmmmmmmm"

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    You could relieve the bottom of a Hawk fore-sight to fit an Osprey I suppose, but I think you'd run the risk of damaging the sight.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

M1 and A1 - routes back to Lancashire

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    You could relieve the bottom of a Hawk fore-sight to fit an Osprey I suppose, but I think you'd run the risk of damaging the sight.
    "The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire"

The South of England has three good things actually- the M6 along with the M1 and A1 can all help you on your way to the Red Rose County of Lancashire !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

The Hawk plastic sight is the same size as the Osprey one, but designed for a slimmer barrel. I machined the ramp on one to fit; it wasn't perfect but when I filled the gaps with black silicone you couldn't tell. The Hawk alloy one is the same shape, but much smaller, and even if you can make it fit it'll look daft.

Osprey plastic sights are thin on the ground because overtightening them cracked them down the middle.

Thumbs up

Hi

One of my Ospreys had a broken plazzie foresight, Out of the blue a mate got in touch and asked if I could use any Webley sights, I went and collected them, The foresight is something like Zinc alloy or aluminium and is much more robust than the plastic ones although I think I fitted this the wrong way around!!

The rearsight went on a Webley Hurricane that I acquired without one!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

There's one on the auction site (UK) just now that would suit you (am I allowed to say this?) if you search "14.5 barrel"

- sorry just realized where you are!