Thread: Should all new air cylinders be date stamped?

Should all new air cylinders be date stamped?

Can anyone advise if all new air cylinders that are supplied with new pistols should be date stamped?

Both my son and myself have bought new Benelli Kite pistols from our local RFD ( one late 2011 and one this year) and there is no date stamp on any of the four supplied cylinders.

My thoughts are that this makes a nonsense of all the talk about 10 year life cycles for these air cylinders, but also that it makes it impossible to age date them in the future.

Does the importer ( and RFD) have any responsibility to ensure that all new cylinders sold either with the new pistol or as a seperate item are correctly date stamped?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    There is no requirement for them to be date stamped, air gun cylinders are under the legal size to be covered by pressure vessel legislation, this issue origanaly came from Germany, where of course they are all stamped, it is not a legal requirement nor an ISSF requirement, the Germans do it for their own interest and a***covering!

Being Italians Benelli will of course do their own thing, in their own inimitable Italian style!
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    There is no requirement for them to be date stamped, air gun cylinders are under the legal size to be covered by pressure vessel legislation, this issue origanaly came from Germany, where of course they are all stamped, it is not a legal requirement nor an ISSF requirement, the Germans do it for their own interest and a***covering!

Being Italians Benelli will of course do their own thing, in their own inimitable Italian style!
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Thanks for that Robin -and I fully understand your comments about the Italian interpretation of the need ( or not) to stamp an air cylinder now and again - and possibley if the mood takes them.

I bought a new Benelli Kite Young in 2011 and the two cylinders were correctly stamped 2011.

My eldest son bought himself a new Benelli Kite in 2011 and neither of his two cylinders had a date stamp on them.

Being very happy with my Kite Young and my son's Kite I decided to reinvest some cash I had from another target pistol I had just passed on to a fellow club member earlier this year, and buy a new Kite for myself.

This also came with two unstamped cylinders ( also in two different shades of blue!) so it seems like Benelli stamp them..sometimes!

All other manufacturers seem to date stamp their cylinders - every time..unless you know different.

I also think most other manufacturers make the effort to get a uniform colour on their cylinders too!

We like our Benelli pistols very much - but a little more effort and attention to detail would have been nice.
    Last edited by zooma; 24-08-2012 at 04:49 PM.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Come on Bob
    They are Italian! And I speak as one who has a collection of Italian Motorcycles! And I love them! When they work they are superb, the operative word being when! When they don't there is generaly no logical reason, perhaps they just don't feel like it that day, perhaps tomorrow.
    They follow the philosophy of never let good engineering practice spoil design, some thing that looks good but is fragile is much better than some thing that is reliable but looks poor!
    You hate them, then they run beatifully on a sunny day and all is forgiven.
    They make beatiful collectors pieces though!

The Italian Olympic team was typical, all entered the stadium dressed by Armani, medals? Who cares, they looked good!
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Unfortunately - you are right!

........but the Benelli match pistols do actually work very well indeed and exhibit plenty of Italian flair, and I hope they prove to be more reliable than the electrics found on the old Dukes and Guzzies !

My guess would be the dated cylinders were from a batch to be sold in germany and never went there. I have seen the new lp10 in my club has date stamped on it. It was bought last year.
    Walther CPM 1

Quote Originally Posted by john_almighty View Post
    My guess would be the dated cylinders were from a batch to be sold in germany and never went there. I have seen the new lp10 in my club has date stamped on it. It was bought last year.
    Hi John - I bought my Benneli Kite Young new from Checkmate Guns last year and it came with both cylinders dated 2011.

My son bought his Benelli Kite from the same RFD last year and had no stamps on his two blue cylinders.

I bought my Benelli Kite from the same RFD recently this year and my two new cylinders had no date stamps and two different shades of blue cylinders.

Maybe the RFD did buy my "Young" from Germany, but as far as I know he sourced them all from the official UK importer/distributor and so the mystery continues.

I have never seen any other manufacturer supply air cylinders that are not date stamped - only Benelli are guilty of this as far as I can see.

This reply was inadvertently duplicated at the time but nothing regarding the "date stamp on a cylinder" subject has really changed over the years.
    Last edited by zooma; 25-11-2015 at 05:08 PM.

This may help answer some of the questions about date stamps on cylinders