Thread: Where to find a competion gun

Smile Where to find a competion gun

Hi all,
    just found a new club close by and tried hand airpistol and wonder where to get information and sales advice.
    i'm a leftie but seem to shoot just as well right handed.
    Is it better to buy a left handed gun or persevere right handed?
    Cheers

Hi Check to see which eye is dominant. Hold a thumb up and line up, using both eyes, with something 6 metres away, (light switch for eg) close left eye and see if you are still lined up. Then try closing right eye to see if the left eye lines up. If you are left eye dominant and left handed, then shooting left handed would be the best option. If you are right eye dominant and can shoot right handed that would be your best option.
    Evo 10 Compact.

just found a new club close by and tried hand airpistol and wonder where to get information and sales advice.
    Your club is the best place to seek advice. Seek out one of the club pistol instructors and ask them. Part of their training includes how to advise new shooters on the selection of appropriate equipment.

Rutty

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    Hi Check to see which eye is dominant. Hold a thumb up and line up, using both eyes, with something 6 metres away, (light switch for eg) close left eye and see if you are still lined up. Then try closing right eye to see if the left eye lines up. If you are left eye dominant and left handed, then shooting left handed would be the best option. If you are right eye dominant and can shoot right handed that would be your best option.
    Hi
    Just checked out my eyes and as it happens i'm right eye dominant.
    Thank you for that.
    Dave

Just checked out my eyes and as it happens i'm right eye dominant
    Hi , that's interesting, I'm the other way round - right handed but left eye dominant.
    good luck with your shooting.

Also a Dave
    Evo 10 Compact.

At least with a pistol you can be right eye dominant and hold the pistol in your left hand (as I do) - not so with a rifle! Don't forget to blank off your non-shooting eye with a translucent 'blind' - this equalises the light to both pupils - much better than closing one eye.
    Also Dave

Hi Dave (#3 )

I noticed you are in Woking, I have booked a hotel there for the Pistol champs at Bisley, are you going ?

Dave #2
    Evo 10 Compact.

ZOOMAs got them all!!!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hi , that's interesting, I'm the other way round - right handed but left eye dominant.
    good luck with your shooting.

Also a Dave
    I think its amazing how many shooters are left eyed and right handed.... now whether thats because shooters are the only people who actually care, and non-shooters never even check, i've no idea...

Hi Dave (#3 )

I noticed you are in Woking, I have booked a hotel there for the Pistol champs at Bisley, are you going ?

Dave #2
    Hi Dave (2)

I normally go as a visitor - getting a bit ancient now to compete. I shoot 10m match pistol at Chobham, and go to Bisley several times a week to shoot air rifle (modern & vintage) at the BFTO. I will pm you my phone no if you want to let me know when you arrive in Woking

Dave (3)

Can anyone explain why this is important for a static target sport? Do you need both eyes open once you've gauged the distance?

I'm new to air gun, but used to do clay shooting a lot. I'm left eye dominant and right handed and find that having my right hand doing the work is far more important than having both eyes open, which tends to only be an issue on a couple of stands during skeet shooting. Also found that if I practised my gun mount enough my right tends to take over when I look down the barrel.