Thread: Weihrauch HW77 MkI Foresight/underlever reataining assembly failure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If I can get the ball bearing and spring to stay in place with a small cold chisel making the original cold headed marks a bit bigger there is always the issue of the whole assembly still being loose on the end of the barrel. Will locktite work?
    I have tried to peen over the metal (using a small pin punch, not a cold chisel) but it was never successful as the material used for the front sight/underlever retainer is cast from something which I think might be known as "monkey metal". My solution was to bore out the casting and fit a brass insert to retain the spring and ballbearing. Fairly straightforward if you have access to a lathe. Loctite will hold it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    I have tried to peen over the metal (using a small pin punch, not a cold chisel) but it was never successful as the material used for the front sight/underlever retainer is cast from something which I think might be known as "monkey metal". My solution was to bore out the casting and fit a brass insert to retain the spring and ballbearing. Fairly straightforward if you have access to a lathe. Loctite will hold it all together.
    Thanks. It does look a bit poor quality on close inspection. Think I might well go for the VMach RACE Brake/moderator. Just been in touch with Steve Pope (thanks for the link imorik) He still does them and they are made to order. 4-6 weeks delivery depending on the 'blacking' turn around. £110 + postage for the silencer or £125 including the baffles for the RACE Brake. Silencer will have to come via an RFD.