Thread: Weihrauch HW77 MkI Foresight/underlever reataining assembly failure

Weihrauch HW77 MkI Foresight/underlever reataining assembly failure

Hello guys

I recently bought a mint condition 1984 MkI HW77, beautiful wood and unmarked blueing. I have fitted a Vmach kit and improved the performance, smoothness and hushed it up some what in the process. (Although it was still pushing 11.6 ft/Ibs after 27 years!)

Anyway, here's the issue. For a few weeks the whole forward sight/underlever retaining assembly has become loose and moves backwards and forwards a few mm, then, I was cleaning my rifle yesterday and as I pulled the under lever out the retaining spring and ball bearing flew out! To be able to fix it properly requires the edges of the metal to be crimped in to stop the ball bearing coming out which looks to be very difficult to fix whilst on the rifle. As the forward sight assembly was already a bit loose I decided to give it a tap with a plastic hammer to see if it would come off.....well it wasn't actually much of a tap but the whole thing came off instantly! Glad it didn't fall apart in the field as I would have been really in the sh**t!

Anyway, has anyone experienced this issue before? If I can get the ball bearing and spring to stay in place with a small cold chisel making the original cold headed marks a bit bigger there is always the issue of the whole assembly still being loose on the end of the barrel. Will locktite work? Any suggestions? Also been thinking, as the end is already off what about the Vmach race muzzle brake/moderator kit? Does anyone know if this is still available as I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet. Are they any good?

All thoughts welcomed!

Adrian

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    Usually held on with loctite, not sure which one though.

I'd go for the race muzzle brake

http://www.air-rifle-tuning.com/v-mach/Home.html

email v-mach@air-rifle-tuning.com

I'll email you a price list, it's a little out of date but not that much.
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

If I can get the ball bearing and spring to stay in place with a small cold chisel making the original cold headed marks a bit bigger there is always the issue of the whole assembly still being loose on the end of the barrel. Will locktite work?
    I have tried to peen over the metal (using a small pin punch, not a cold chisel) but it was never successful as the material used for the front sight/underlever retainer is cast from something which I think might be known as "monkey metal". My solution was to bore out the casting and fit a brass insert to retain the spring and ballbearing. Fairly straightforward if you have access to a lathe. Loctite will hold it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    I have tried to peen over the metal (using a small pin punch, not a cold chisel) but it was never successful as the material used for the front sight/underlever retainer is cast from something which I think might be known as "monkey metal". My solution was to bore out the casting and fit a brass insert to retain the spring and ballbearing. Fairly straightforward if you have access to a lathe. Loctite will hold it all together.
    Thanks. It does look a bit poor quality on close inspection. Think I might well go for the VMach RACE Brake/moderator. Just been in touch with Steve Pope (thanks for the link imorik) He still does them and they are made to order. 4-6 weeks delivery depending on the 'blacking' turn around. £110 + postage for the silencer or £125 including the baffles for the RACE Brake. Silencer will have to come via an RFD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitpie View Post
    Hello guys

I recently bought a mint condition 1984 MkI HW77, beautiful wood and unmarked blueing. I have fitted a Vmach kit and improved the performance, smoothness and hushed it up some what in the process. (Although it was still pushing 11.6 ft/Ibs after 27 years!)

Anyway, here's the issue. For a few weeks the whole forward sight/underlever retaining assembly has become loose and moves backwards and forwards a few mm, then, I was cleaning my rifle yesterday and as I pulled the under lever out the retaining spring and ball bearing flew out! To be able to fix it properly requires the edges of the metal to be crimped in to stop the ball bearing coming out which looks to be very difficult to fix whilst on the rifle. As the forward sight assembly was already a bit loose I decided to give it a tap with a plastic hammer to see if it would come off.....well it wasn't actually much of a tap but the whole thing came off instantly! Glad it didn't fall apart in the field as I would have been really in the sh**t!

Anyway, has anyone experienced this issue before? If I can get the ball bearing and spring to stay in place with a small cold chisel making the original cold headed marks a bit bigger there is always the issue of the whole assembly still being loose on the end of the barrel. Will locktite work? Any suggestions? Also been thinking, as the end is already off what about the Vmach race muzzle brake/moderator kit? Does anyone know if this is still available as I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet. Are they any good?

All thoughts welcomed!

Adrian
    I have so far successfully crimped in the edges of the tube the ball bearing goes in by as you say deepening the original (four in my case) dents a bit more. I ground down a hex screwdriver blade to the exact size and then gently tapped using a hammer with the foresight on a metal block (7lb weight). As you say soft metal and not magnetic. Holding so far. Hardest bit was keeping the ball in the hole while peening it. Needed a helper with small pair of CK pipe pliers.

HW77 Foresight

If you are really stuck I have a MK2 unit if required. Mach 1.5

Cabinet catch. Easy modification and works well tho' obviously sacrifices originality.

sparko is offline One of Tiger Woods' lovers...
    As below ��
    Not sure where I`m going.....But I`ll get there someday

sparko is offline One of Tiger Woods' lovers...
    I can happily recommend a ‘Race Muzzle Brake’ I had on on on a MK1 77 that I sold for some reason, now have one of Steve’s 97’s with a Brake fitted ... They give off a lovely crack! ... That’s when I shoot it, it has been under the bed for 3 yrs.

One day eh? 😊

If I knew how to put pictures up I would show you one in the flesh.
    Not sure where I`m going.....But I`ll get there someday