Thread: QD stud

danny73 Guest

QD stud

Hi, All
    I want to fit a QD stud for a bipod and i need some advice on postion and are there any tips or tricks do i use glue? i have seen some with what looks like white washer which has not come with the QD stud i ordered? what size drill bit?
    Anyone Help
    Cheers Danny

Erm....

Unless I missed something it would help people if you say what rifle as different models have different pitfalls.

The white "washer" is to help finish it off nicely and to vary the depth slightly so you end up with the stud in tight and 90 degrees to the bore.

SBD

danny73 Guest

sorry its 7 LT

the rifle im fitting qd to are HW100 and AA S200 target model

Hi Danny,
    According to "Uncle Mike's" instructions on fitting swivel studs you should first drill a countersunk hole with a 7/32" bit to a depth of 1/8" - then drill in the same hole with a 5/32" bit to a total depth of 1/2" for the fore-end and 7/8" at the rear. The first hole is to accommodate a little of the stud base or white spacer and neaten the installation - the main hole is for the wood screw. This is after you've removed the stock from the action and supported it in a well padded vice.

The recommended positions are 13" -17" forward of the trigger and 2" - 2.5" forward of the recoil pad BUT before drilling make sure you are clear of any fixing screws and that there is enough thickness of wood at the fore-end to screw into.

I would recommend you try a trial hole or 2 in some scrap wood before tackling the rifle. Also, you should be careful to make sure you drill square and plumb with the stock. Ask someone to help align things up if you don't have a drill press. It often helps to stick some masking tape where you plan to drill so that you can easily mark the place and not risk the drill bit slipping.

I had some studs with no white spacers so I made some from an old white plastic pen barrel sawed to about 1/8"

Good luck.

I'll say it again

I know it's been mentioned but for gawds sake remove the stock/forend first. You DO NOT want to drill through the compressed air reservoir.

I have no experience on a HW100 but on my S200's I used metal thread studs on the forend with a rebated waser on the inside to spread the load to avoid it pulling out or splitting. There's not a huge amount of room if i remember correctly.

danny73 Guest

Thanks for advice

Hi,
    Thanks for your advice will have a go at it tomorrow.
    Who is uncle mike?
    Cheers
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by danny73
    Hi,
    Thanks for your advice will have a go at it tomorrow.
    Who is uncle mike?
    Cheers
    Daniel
    It's a brand name of Michaels of Oregon, an American firm who produce a vast range of shooting accessories Click here. I've only tried their QD swivels, which are about all of their products that I've seen on sale in the UK, but most people consider them to be the best.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by danny73
    .... and AA S200 target model
    Doesn't your S200T have an accesory rail under the fore-end?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk