Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best single stroke pneumatic air pistol for 10m targets?

Very true indeed.

I know I am going to turn up one night only to find out I forgot to charge the cylinder!

I'll usually have the Gamo Compact close by just in case.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

I can only speak for the IZH-46 stapler , which I find surprisingly easy and comfortable to 'stroke'.

Much much easier than an over-lever (Compact, HW40 or FAS etc).

Don't know about the newer 46M though (which I believe is more par'ful, so may be stiffer to charge).

I would go for a Feinwerkbau 103 as the best possible SSP if the budget would allow and if it was possible to find one.

The previous 100 series pistols from Feinwerkbau would also be an excellent choice, and all benefit from the superb build qaulity and excellent "direct from factory" spare parts service.

The Walther LPM-1 is also an extremely well engineered SSP pistol and worthy of consideration.

The above SSP pistols are all obsolete and can only be bought second hand, but the build qaulity could make them last at least as long as a new SSP such as a Baikel or FAS 604 and have a better spares and service support if ever needed.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I would go for a Feinwerkbau 103 as the best possible SSP if the budget would allow and if it was possible to find one.

The previous 100 series pistols from Feinwerkbau would also be an excellent choice, and all benefit from the superb build qaulity and excellent "direct from factory" spare parts service.

The Walther LPM-1 is also an extremely well engineered SSP pistol and worthy of consideration.

The above SSP pistols are all obsolete and can only be bought second hand, but the build qaulity could make them last at least as long as a new SSP such as a Baikel or FAS 604 and have a better spares and service support if ever needed.
    Why is it that so few SSPs are made? They seem to be perfect for people trying to get into air pistol shooting. Is it because CO2 is considered to be better? I always thought that the CO2s varied in consistency (had one once, but it didn't work very well and seemed a bit toy).

Quote Originally Posted by raistrick View Post
    Why is it that so few SSPs are made? They seem to be perfect for people trying to get into air pistol shooting. Is it because CO2 is considered to be better? I always thought that the CO2s varied in consistency (had one once, but it didn't work very well and seemed a bit toy).
    There is more engineering needed to make an SSP than a CO2 or a PCP pistol, so most manufacturers have quit making full match SSP air pistols leaving only the countries that are able to produce budget products to take up the challenge - Baikel being a good example.

Sadly, it is unlikely that we will ever see the likes of Feinwerkbau and Walther ever start making them again - the price would be prohibitive.

There is more engineering needed to make an SSP than a CO2 or a PCP pistol, so most manufacturers have quit making full match SSP air pistols leaving only the countries that are able to produce budget products to take up the challenge - Baikel being a good example.

Sadly, it is unlikely that we will ever see the likes of Feinwerkbau and Walther ever start making them again - the price would be prohibitive.
    Makes sense. So if you were starting out looking for a match pistol would you bother getting a SSP or would you go straight for the PCP? Would you then get a hand pump or the gas bottle to charge? (I wouldn't know where to start with the gas bottle)

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Simple answer, if you can afford it, go straight for the modern PCP's, its not just fashion that they are used by the top level shooters.
    Mine is not a collection, it is simply that I did not sell my old ones when I bought new so I have my match air pistol shooting history for the last 40 years, from my original FWB 65 through the SSP's, Co2's to modern PCP's. I still occasionally shoot the old ones, they are nice, and I did my personal best ever 40 shot at ten metres with a FAS 604 of 384 but I was 30 years younger then! The old guns are just not in the same league as the modern PCP's, things do move on.
    Most good clubs have an air bottle so filling is no problem, if yours does'nt better to buy your own bottle unless you are very fit and enjoy the heavy exercise of a pump!
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 03-09-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Simple answer, if you can afford it, go straight for the modern PCP's, its not just fashion that they are used by the top level shooters.
    Mine is not a collection, it is simply that I did not sell my old ones when I bought new so I have my match air pistol shooting history for the last 40 years, from my original FWB 65 through the SSP's, Co2's to modern PCP's. I still occasionally shoot the old ones, they are nice, and I did my personal best ever 40 shot at ten metres with a FAS 604 of 384 but I was 30 years younger then! The old guns are just not in the same league as the modern PCP's, things do move on.
    Most good clubs have an air bottle so filling is no problem, if yours does'nt better to buy your own bottle unless you are very fit and enjoy the heavy exercise of a pump!
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Come and join us in the MPL Robin and dig that 604 out again and relive your youth ( a little) !

Unless you are going to shoot where it is very hot or very cold or you want to shoot 60 shot matches there is nothing wrong with a Co2 target pistol. They are cheep to run and you won't ware your arm out cocking the thing. If you want to shoot a 60 shot match just change the capsule after 40 shots and carry on. some of them ares still made so they are easier to find. They will certainly take you to a level where you will know if you want a PCP pistol assuming you have £600 upwards spare. I have a divers bottle but it is only 30p to refill my cylinder at the club I go to.
    if you are interested I have a nearly new Alfa Proj classic pistol for sale (£280) (£399 new)
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

The SSP pistols are ideal for use in the MPL as they qaulify by needing their energy from "Muscle Power" and they are also fully recoiless.

CO2 and PCP pistols are banned from the Muscle Power League so their only rivals are spring powered pistols - and both have their followers.

I like SSP pistols and we have FAS 604, Walther LPM-1, Feinwerkbau 103, Feinwerkbau 100, Pardini, GAMO Compact and Baikel IZH-46 pistols currently being chosen by MPL shooters each month.

No body has mentioned the old Daisy 717 and the far better 747.

I think I will give my old 717 a dusting off and see if the old girl can still perform (or even work ).

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    if you are interested I have a nearly new Alfa Proj classic pistol for sale (£280) (£399 new)
    Bit late for me now as I've purchased an LP5 to replace the FWB 103 (although seem to shoot better with the 103... early days :-\), but I might know someone who would be interested!

Cheers.
     •   Morini 200EI
    •••••  Steyr LP50E

Quote Originally Posted by raistrick View Post
    Bit late for me now as I've purchased an LP5 to replace the FWB 103 (although seem to shoot better with the 103... early days :-\), but I might know someone who would be interested!

Cheers.
    Have you sold your 103 ?

Have you sold your 103 ?
    No, keeping it for back up (or until I need extra money for deposit on a house )
     •   Morini 200EI
    •••••  Steyr LP50E

I am pleased you are keeping it and not sending me a PM - you may have saved me making another compulsive 103 purchase!