Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'second hand' Rohm Twinmaster Top (SSDD)

'second hand' Rohm Twinmaster Top (SSDD)

Hi, I have the possibility of purchasing an alleged virtually unused Rohm Twinmaster Top pcp with additional CO2 cartridge, 3x 8 shot mags and the all-important single shot mag which I use, open sights of course. I've been shooting now for two weeks and amassed a 4 card score of 170 on tuesday last which i was quite chuffed with (i've been using this gentleman's gun on loan).

I purchased some pellets from the club and found them to be 4.49mm JSB Match Diabolo most of which i got my score with (first card had two inner 10s using the pellets the chap had in the case (no idea on specifics of those pellets).

I have the opportunity to to purchase this weapon for £350, my question being, with the date code on the pcp cartridge indicating that it was made in 2008 and me being a total novice should i part with this cash in the hope it will serve me for a year or so and hold most of its value before I buy a Steyr or Morini (forgive the naivety on my part in this sentence but I plan on taking this sport very seriously) or perhaps try and haggle the price down to £300 because i'm a tight yorkshireman. I believe equivocally the gentleman who owns this pistol has put less than a tin of pellets through it.

in summary:

1. How many years will it take to out-shoot my weapon?
    2. Are 4.49mm diabolo ok with the TM Top?
    3. Am I being daft looking for a reduction in price would one of you gents jump at this pistol at this price?

4. Can one really out-shoot their weapon or are we just looking for excuses to up our game

Kind regards
    Sat

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    1 That depends on you and your coach
    2 I've never seen paper shot with a pistol using other than flat nosed pellets
    3 What you pay for a second hand gun is up to you, I've seen Rohm Trainers sell for over £300
    4 The better you get the better results you'll get with whatever you shoot, you should be happy with your pistol though, if you are not then you'll always be wondering if you'd have done better with a Steyr ;-)

If I were starting out in 10m I'd buy a Gamo Compact, fettle the trigger and use stick on wheel weights to get the muzzle weight right then move straight to something more interesting after a season or two,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Nick
    what about the HW75 is that about the same or better than the Gamo ......only asking as i am getting into pistols after being in air rifles fo r afew years and need another challenge ...plus another wallett lol
    cheers
    Dave
    HW 100 Carbine .177
    HW77k .22 tuned by Lyn Lewington

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby1 View Post
    Nick
    what about the HW75 is that about the same or better than the Gamo ......only asking as i am getting into pistols after being in air rifles fo r afew years and need another challenge ...plus another wallett lol
    cheers
    Dave
    Dave,
    I'd have said HW75 if they'd given us the option of a palm shelf, it's still a great gun and I wouldn't part with mine but without a palm shelf it will never be an option for serious 10m work. If you're not shooting competitively then the HW75 is a nicer bit of engineering,
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    1 That depends on you and your coach
    2 I've never seen paper shot with a pistol using other than flat nosed pellets
    3 What you pay for a second hand gun is up to you, I've seen Rohm Trainers sell for over £300
    4 The better you get the better results you'll get with whatever you shoot, you should be happy with your pistol though, if you are not then you'll always be wondering if you'd have done better with a Steyr ;-)

If I were starting out in 10m I'd buy a Gamo Compact, fettle the trigger and use stick on wheel weights to get the muzzle weight right then move straight to something more interesting after a season or two,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Hi Nick, thanks for the reply, just to clarify on point number 2 they are flat nosed "JSB Match Diabolo 4.49mm" pellets. It was specifically the use of the 4.49mm rather than 4.5mm that I was curious about. my last three cards of the evening used these pellets and seemed to do okay but I don't want to mess up this weapon. As for coaching, I'm absorbing all the information I can from the small club I'm a prospective member of but in terms of one on one coaching, i'm a little bit at a loss.

Most of the gentlemen at the club intimated a lot of the information they possess was from personal experience but I'd like to know what level of coaching is available out there and how much use it could be to someone at my beginning stage of learning this sport. Regarding your last point, the club chairman - my introductory guide and true gentleman recommended against buying the gamo, hw45 or alecto (the latter of which i tried after firing a match pistol and it felt like a toy) and going straight for a second hand pcp match pistol.

Thanks again for your help

Sat

Nick
    thanks for reply ......is there any way (and you should know lol ) can the 75 be fitted with a palm shelf and adjustable grip
    HW 100 Carbine .177
    HW77k .22 tuned by Lyn Lewington

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Hi Sat

To try and answer your questions....
    1. Technically we are all capable of continuous improvement with practice (until such things as age start to take their toll) so you can work with poor triggers etc. its just that improvement process will be much harder and take much longer
    2. Modern pellets are very, very good and cheaper pellets such as RWS Geco are certainly capable of putting 5 shots in the 10 ring through my Morini when rested, these pellets are very popular at our club - however the pellets you mention are no doubt just as capable and certainly won't be hampering your scores IMO.
    3. As you say you are going to be taking this seriously - then from my own experience I would definately put the money toward a S/H Steyr/Morini/FWB from the off and this very question has been covered both here.... http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....sters-any-good
    My own thoughts are you'll quickly want something much better than the Rohm's trigger and then take a hit when you come to sell the Rohm.
    4. see answer 1

It looks as though you have joined a club already so perhaps you can have a chat with a few others there and try some other guns, all the people I know are more than happy to let new shooters try their own guns and offer their own opinions both good and bad of their pistols.
    For other opinions of other seasoned target shooters can I suggest you ask the same or a similar question in the Target shooting section of this BBS or a more focused forum such as targettalk.org

Quote Originally Posted by satyris View Post
    Regarding your last point, the club chairman - my introductory guide and true gentleman recommended against buying the gamo
    I would recommend against a Gamo Compact without a reworked trigger, with a reworked trigger the gun is transformed and truly a match pistol,
    Regards,
    Nick

Thank you for your help guys, especially Harvey, i've got 165 and 168 from 4 cards each tonight so I'm really really torn. I've pledged that on tuesday I will write the guy a cheque for the twinmaster for £350 but you've thrown so much in the air and so much I need to think about an balance with my funds/funding. I'm going to seek private funding* to help me buy a new weapon like you suggest and in the mean time try and negotiate a price more in the £270 range that I might not lose money on when it becomes time to move up.

Have you ever had any coaching in the sport of pistol shooting and have you found it any use or have all your improvements come from personal research and experience?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Mark

also chrono'd the Top at 2.8 ft/lbs which is kinda low powered is it not?

It's plenty, 6fpe is very low powered anyway, however it is far more than is required for target shooting.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Thank you for your help guys, especially Harvey, i've got 165 and 168 from 4 cards each tonight so I'm really really torn. I've pledged that on tuesday I will write the guy a cheque for the twinmaster for £350 but you've thrown so much in the air and so much I need to think about an balance with my funds/funding. I'm going to seek private funding* to help me buy a new weapon like you suggest and in the mean time try and negotiate a price more in the £270 range that I might not lose money on when it becomes time to move up.
    Nowt to do with me, but might be worth a PM to this chap first to see how close your £350 gets you.... http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....Whats-it-worth

Have you ever had any coaching in the sport of pistol shooting and have you found it any use or have all your improvements come from personal research and experience?
    If you can get it, good coaching is worth having definitely, as skilled observation can point out small flaws in your technique that can otherwise go un-noticed for years.
    A chance conversation between our coach and one of the countrys top international shooters resulted in me tweaking my trigger position which seems to have helped my consistancy no end and their conversation wasn't even intended for me

Sounds a bit low to me. I don't know what this particular gun should be putting out as standard, but I'm guessing this works out around the 400 fps mark or less which is powerful enough to put a hole in the card alright - but may be tearing the holes rather than punching them.
    All the top flight guns will be pushing that lil' 'ol pellet down the barrel at about 500 fps to keep the lock time as short as possible.
    Last edited by harvey_s; 01-09-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Thank you all very much for your help, the problem being I think i've fallen in love with my Austrian girlfriend, she's a bit slow, Harvey you were correct, 420fps with a 500mg pellet (7.81gr), there's only one stage to the trigger and testing it with the 500g weight she feels a bit on the heavy side (more like 650g trigger pull) so this heavy Austrian bird is sweet talking me to purchase her but would you believe i've found a brand brand new one for not a lot more, so this chap selling me it can forget three fifty and come Tuesday I will probably offer him £100 less.

I know these things hold their value but i feel i'd be taken for a ride at £350. if there is no budge on the price, I will probably go for the new one!

Thanks again for your help

Sat

Pleasure... Hope you and the fat Austrian chick are happy together

(no smiutty comments from me about her requiring excessive fingering you notice....)

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Hiya

I'd certainly recommend going for the Top while you learn the basics and save up for something better.

I had one for a coupe of years, and really enjoyed shooting with it. Even won a comp or two.

Mine seemed happiest using RWS CO2 flatheads. I reckon it's worth giving them a go.

Whatever . Have fun and keep on learning

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member