Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FX Verminator Mk2 0.177" 12ft lbs

FX Verminator Mk2 0.177" 12ft lbs

Well ive finally after a week of waiting got my first new Rifle in many years to get back into shooting

Got it home and managed to put my old FT scope on and fit a Harris bi-pod
    ive only put a couple of mags tho it and ruff zeroed on a bit of wood but its definetly accurate for grouping

ive also got the FX extra Silencer which at £48 is a bit of a disappointment as its just a empty tube with a thread on one end and a small hole in the other and think it would benefit from some baffles and sound absorbing matting it does make it quieter but not as much as it should

mounting the scope is fun due to the Height of the mag its position and the height of the Cheek piece

My sports match 30mm high mounts have 21mm clearance and do just fit fine with the mag HOWEVER there is no way i can get my eye to the scope as the Cheek piece is to low and wide Sports match Medium mounts with a Riser block help a little but still not close enough

Finally High mounts with the Risers giving 34mm of clearance and the butt slide back more and we are just about ok but cant quite manage a full head up

thats ok i like a high Scope LOS to barrel center as it helps flatten the trajectory at longer ranges jsut have to be a bit more careful at close ones

the mag being in the middle of the rail is going to make mounting my NV scope a PITA the old FX 2000 the mag was much further fwds

Harris was simple enough just drilled a 4mm hole and screwed in a Wood thread sling stud tho if i was going to leave it ( im putting a picatinney rail on later ) i would replace it with a nut and bolt one with a nut and washer

so far its nice feels good and will update here after Ive had a more serious shoot

ATB
    for now
    Duncan
    Last edited by FGYT; 31-08-2012 at 06:25 PM.

verminator

hi there
    nice little review what pellets have you tried so far?
    as you say and by the look of your photos getting your eye in the correct place looks very tricky
    the way i solved this was by rotating the but section slightly by doing this it makes a huge difference to cheek to scope locating.
    hope this helps
    regards phil

I tried rotating the butt stock but didn't like the Way the Butt pad sat
    Im happy with the current position
    I still dont liek the way teh butt pad sits but im swapping it for one of a army LSW with a top shoulder hook which ive had on my old FX for years the top hook makes bipod shooting a lot easier and with the Verminator being back heavy helps in all positions allowing the shoulder to take some of the weight more easily

So far i tried JSB exacts which i bought with it but am getting mixed results hopfully due to bedding in and have found a fairly high bent skirt rate out of the tin tehy do seem fragile

ive also tried some old old Crossman premier ive had for years which still work well

Ive tried single loading and with Silencer off with mixed results

ATB

Duncan

Verminator mk 2 .177

Evening duncan i had uk neil make up an adaptor allowing me to use any half unf female threaded silencer. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE BERRY View Post
    Evening duncan i had uk neil make up an adaptor allowing me to use any half unf female threaded silencer. Dave
    Yes if I had known i would have made up an adaptor and skimmed back a Logun silencer like on my Old FX

But the Smartie Tube they sent has cost me £48 so i think I will make up some baffles and have a play see if i can get it to work better

ATB

Duncan

**** Just an ask These targets are Free to download and print off for your own use as much as you like BUT please dont Rip the PDFs and reload onto other sites Or sell for profit.
    If you would like to post the links on other Sites Please ask first.****

If you would like some other design please PM me CAD can be very precise if you need something accurate or specific

Here are the targets I designed in CAD for me to use nothing fancy/artistic but I use them to Zero then Trajectory check and practice

Ive uplaoded them as PDF to my website you need to print off with NO Page scaling set for A4 paper ( check your first print is giving 1" squares)

All aim points are

1/8" white center 1/4" black donut
    1/2" dia line
    3/4" -1" Black donut (Hunting min grouping)
    35mm Dia line
    40mm Dia line ( FT std kill zone)
    2" Dia line

1 off Zero / scope set up target PDF

This is the first target i use to zero a new scope plenty of room allround

2 off trajectory checking targets

This is the targets i use to check trajectory at all ranges ie once zeroed i shoot one target at every 5 yrd distance 5 to 55yrds always aiming the crosshair at the center aim point ( do not hold over or under do not dial ) clos up i use 3 shots further out 5-8 shots to get a idea of group spread as well

12 off Practice target PDF

These I use just as multi target practice once zeroed and trajectory checked I should be able to hold over or under or dial in to hit center

ATB

Duncan
    Last edited by FGYT; 03-09-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Here's what FX call a silencer

and dimensions

PDF version Here<<<< so you can read the numbers if you want

to sort the but/cheek piece is simple ,black and decker power file then halfords cammo paint job done
    Huntsman Classic. bsar10 .ripley hog.hw45 177. skan r32. 22 . falcon fn12tw 22. logun s16evo 177. HW100 22. bsa xl tactical 25. fac custom rapid 177. fac custom ranger 22. mosberg pump. sako finfire rimmi.SIG 522. anie hmr. .STEYR AUG 223. tactical scout 243

Ok after a massive and online shopping bender ive got all the bits I wanted to sort the rifle to how I want

Basically I wanted to change the for stock to fit me and found the Magpul AFG2 which looked like it might save me bodging some blocks of plywood
    First was to fit a 6" picatinny Rail on the bottom this would give some options on what and where to fit things
    it also meant that the Harris bi-pod i had wouldn't fit and if i got the adapter it was to long for the remaining rail . Plus i wanted to fit the Lamping kit (my old surefire P6 with Remote ) here as i dont like them on top of the scope
    I saw a side mount job that would mean also the bipod can be folded up and out of the way and was going to fit front side Picatinny rails for this but after finding a reasonably cheap on on (i suspect is a copy but solid enough )
    when it got here i founf i could ubbolt the lugs and screw them directly to the stock which is a lot neater and saves a bit of weight

Also i fitted my old LSW Butt plate with the over shoulder folding rest which is great for Bipod shooting and for rear heavy guns like this

Forthe NV battery ive used a std Maxpedition 6x4 x 1.5" pouch its more than big enough cna can hold the mag and pellets etc when not being used so they dont get lost

Close up of the Rail AFG and Lugs the rail Ive fitted parallel to the barrel so the lamp points where you aim

the bi-pod legs just click on and off easily and can be stow front or back

Fully fitted

the AFG grip is actually very good giving positive stops for Kneeling and sitting as well as for me a more comfortable hold for standing

just waiting on a replacement Infra Red drop in for the torch as it will mainly be used with the NV kit above

ATB

Duncan

Hi , have you found some pellets that suit the gun ? I also own a mk 2 and found the aa field .452 go well in it . But had some real good results with rws Super mags that I got for some ratting work , zeroing them in at 25 yards it was literally pellet on pellet ! Not really my first choice but for short range vermin work try a pack let me no what u think . Cheers Jon

Hi read some were that some silencers have hair curlers in them for baffles . This is what I put into my verminater mk2 silencer,
    don't have a decibel meter but I think there is a slight improvement , the action makes more noise than the pellet now . Worth a try like u say 48 quid for a empty tube is ott

Hi Duncan, looks a great setup you have there, both my vermys are the x3 power setting , x1 in.177 and
    x1 in.22 great little guns,i use the hw silencer on both my guns.
    good luck with your gun and enjoy.
    atb brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jmc1 View Post
    Hi read some were that some silencers have hair curlers in them for baffles . This is what I put into my verminater mk2 silencer,
    don't have a decibel meter but I think there is a slight improvement , the action makes more noise than the pellet now . Worth a try like u say 48 quid for a empty tube is ott

Hi i have some baffles and curlers on the way to try unfortunately i dont have the set up any more to make my own ( i have found an old Delrin Prototype silencer i made year ago its sectional so you can swap it about but is 1/2" UNF male

tho i think the barrel tube may make a noise as i dont think its damped if its still not any good i will consider a huggett shroud silencer or maybe blocking the air back into the shroud so it wont resonate

tho the action does make a fair bit of noise and i can feel it go off in the stock

ive modified the magazine to reduce the spring tension that seems to have reduced fliers.

Ive got soem Falcon AP ans a light pellet (couldnt get the Daystate Li ) ok but the second tin of JSB are much better than the last ones so far even out to 65 yrds
    Ive the old AA4.52

now i need to sort my air supply as my old 5ltr 300bar cylinder is at 170bar and is CF and as its 15yrs old is end of life

all my dive bottles are out of test and are only 232bar those that are full have Nitrox in them so cant use them for airguns
    now I need a 12ltr 300 bar bottle

ATB

Duncan

Thumbs up Excellent work Sir!!

Excellent Write up Duncan
    I have Really enjoyed reading this and Seeing the innovative modifications you have done to
    Your Mk2 it looks....

Very Tactical!!

Reading what you said about pellets ...On another forum below:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537...nator+Mk2+-177
    The Gentleman said he had tried JSB's and FX and the ones that gave the best grouping was the JSB RS,

I have some of the JSB RS .177 pellets So....If
    you'd like me to send you some to try/test let me know Sir? They are a light pellet at only 7.33gr but
    Well placed shot and they'll do the necessary,

That's a Real Shame too about the "FX Smarty tube" I thought FX would have made an
    Exceptional silencer for this rifle £48 for an Empty tube is Extortionate!!

Glad i've got a UK Neil one that looks like an extension of the barrel And Very very Quiet!! too
    (Silver when it came But now sprayed Black satin and a Good match it is)

Reading and Seeing this Beauty has now made me think....Do i Really want to sell mine

Kind regards, Have a Really Good weekend and Happy hunting,
    Les

PS. .......What night vision will you be using on this Please Duncan?
    (Might have missed it whilst Drooling over the photos)
    Rapid mk2 in 22cal, Oiled Walnut CS700 Thumbhole Stock, Scalloped Block, MK4 Trigger, Quick Fill,Fast Flowed 400cc Btl, 16" Barrel, Reflex AWT Silencer MFR .177 Hawke Vamint 2.5-10x44 - Needs 2nd Magazine Yet

Cheers Les

fro NV im playing with DIY add on and have this so far

The battery now goes in the butt pouch

and im playing with a google set up for viewing next is 2 swichable cameras one for general view walking about wide angle and one scope view

Well Ive got some bits in the Tube now and its calmed it down just playing with spacings to see if it makes a difference.
    the below layout with gun to the right is definatly better than the same spacing reversed ie a very small inital space was hoping to make force more blast back into the shroud but i think with nothing in it its jsut amplifies