Thread: bp and use in a club

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting

bp and use in a club

From my understanding of the regs if black powder in being used on a club range there has to be a qualified instructor presant on the range, can anybody confirm this and point me in the direction of the legislation relating to this ?

Or is it possible for those who have the said firearm on their fac and hold there bp certificates to use at their own pleasure ?

sorry not well up of the laws regaurding bp hence trying to learn quickly
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

Never heard of that before re qualified person.
    Plenty of BP at my club and everyone just gets on with it!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by markreid View Post
    From my understanding of the regs if black powder in being used on a club range there has to be a qualified instructor presant on the range, can anybody confirm this and point me in the direction of the legislation relating to this ?

Or is it possible for those who have the said firearm on their fac and hold there bp certificates to use at their own pleasure ?

sorry not well up of the laws regaurding bp hence trying to learn quickly
    1. Never heard of that condition anywhere and not adhered to at any of the clubs i frequent.

2. Yes, our club allows members (min of 2 people) access to the range 24/7 to use whatever is legal.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

The same

What Mag44uk says. We have a club rule that BP shooters have to have a basic level of instruction at the club and are then free to shoot as they wish. This rule was brought in ('elf n safety dontcha know) after somebody tried to use nitro in a BP gun.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

I would say if you have never done BP before then some instruction is a good idea, we just shoot outside on our on and we are left to get on with it. As long as you are proficient then I can't see a problem.

Is markreid only getting part of the story that he has heard?

I thought the Home Office had introduced a rule that said new members had to be instructed on a one-to-one basis in the use of their respective firearm until they were considered proficient enough to shoot on their own?

This does not affect experienced shooters who turn up with a different gun than they normally use.

The club I belong to requires that someone acts as RCO while anyone is shooting. I think this has something to do with the insurance.

Basically this dosent bother me as such as I don't shoot black powder, but cut a long story short this came from our ex secetary who was a qualified bp instructor and was the range officer when members where shooting bp. Now that he is no longer avialable the other members who where also told the same, so I have told them I would make some enquires just to make sure we are not contrevining anything we shouldn't. Thanks for the help all appricated

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Is markreid only getting part of the story that he has heard?

I thought the Home Office had introduced a rule that said new members had to be instructed on a one-to-one basis in the use of their respective firearm until they were considered proficient enough to shoot on their own?

This does not affect experienced shooters who turn up with a different gun than they normally use.

The club I belong to requires that someone acts as RCO while anyone is shooting. I think this has something to do with the insurance.
    Both statements basically correct under the HO criteria.

18) before becoming a full member,
    individuals must have a probationary
    period of at least 3 months during which
    time they must attend and shoot regularly.
    The probationary member must be given
    a course in the safe handling and use
    of firearms on a one-to-one basis by
    someone who is either a full member
    of the club or who is a coach
    with a
    qualification recognised by the Great
    Britain Target Shooting Federation and
    governing bodies;
    19) until a probationary member has
    satisfactorily completed a course in the
    safe handling and use of firearms, they
    must be supervised at all times when in
    possession of firearms or ammunition by
    either the range officer, or a full member
    of the club, or someone who is a coach

with a qualification recognised by the
    Great Britain Target Shooting
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Both statements basically correct under the HO criteria.
    Cheers, basically the club already has that in place, for any firearm, was more checking that there is not any more regs reguarding bp on top of the std rules

Quote Originally Posted by markreid View Post
    Cheers, basically the club already has that in place, for any firearm, was more checking that there is not any more regs reguarding bp on top of the std rules
    Not any more regs other than what is printed in the HO document on criteria for approval of clubs.
    Of course your own club may make up their own additional rules.

we can't use BP at our indoor range. BP means using grease which covers the floor and as people walk up the range, it could be dangerous, plus, isn't the residue from BP as it builds up on the floor, a bit volatile, ie those who shoot prone rifle down by the floor could set it off?
    Last edited by NigelG; 05-09-2012 at 07:45 PM.
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

The club I am in just has a seperate night for BP, it stops all the compliants about the smell and the smoke

Complaints about the smell and smoke from black powder. Cant imagine why.!

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

No it doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by NigelG View Post
    we can't use BP at our indoor range. BP means using grease which covers the floor and as people walk up the range, it could be dangerous, plus, isn't the residue from BP as it builds up on the floor, a bit volatile, ie those who shoot prone rifle down by the floor could set it off?
    Not really, I shoot at an indoor range and there's no problem with it. I don't use it in my Ruger but I do use lubricated wads.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by NigelG View Post
    we can't use BP at our indoor range. BP means using grease which covers the floor and as people walk up the range [1.], it could be dangerous, plus, isn't the residue from BP as it builds up on the floor, a bit volatile [2], ie those who shoot prone rifle down by the floor could set it off?
    1. Use wads.

2. What residue is that? BP or subs go BANG and leave a pleasant smell wafting in the air in and around the shooter. Anyhow, I'm pretty certain that after the bang, what is left IN THE BARREL is about as flammable as chicken soop.

Maybe the panty-waist protesters should stand to one side with a nice flowery air-freshener so that their delicate olfactory senses are not too offended.

Methinks a spoil-blanket in the kettle is at work here.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 06-09-2012 at 07:36 AM.