Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are there Rimfire Reviews but not...

Unimexsol Guest

Why are there Rimfire Reviews but not...

Air rifle/pistol reviews on the site?

I'd have thought that if there was a section for air-rifle/pistol reviews that people could post on then this would be a valuable source of first-hand information for prospective purchasers.

People come onto the forum and ask others opinions on the merits of certain brands of airguns, so wouldn't it be easier if all the info was in one area?

Or are there reasons for not having it set up this way?

Not a critisism, nor a suggestion (as I'm sure it has been suggested by wiser heads than mine) but more a "I wonder why they don't do it that way?"

Thanks

Mike H Guest
    Always wondered that myself
    Mike.

Bad reviews "could" be considered as 'biting the hand that feeds'. This place is run by and air gun retailer, after all.

If someone wrote up a bad report of a rifle, and it looked to be supported by 'mine host' how well would that go down with a manufacturer? Some might say that having a 'plus' only review might be PC and useable. Meaning, if there's no 'plus' report....... (Work it out ).

But then would someone who considers being able to hit a barn door with a 6ft/lbs .22 springer, a rifle worthy of praise if it could do it at 20 yards? Imagine how much use a 'plus' report from him might be.

'Irony' doesn't count.
    To be good, one must do good.

Unimexsol Guest
    Naively, I'd have thought that manufacturers would be glad of any feedback on their rifles.

Even still though if this was the case why would Rimfire reviews be ok but not Airgun ones? I'm guessing that the shop sells both?

Thanks

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.
    No, its an airgun only shop (as far as I know).

I've wondered this too in the past..

The 'bad feedback' thing dun't wash though - you just have to search for "Logun s16" to see what I mean

More fundamentally, I suppose the whole BBS could be viewed as a review site - members are forever reporting their findings, so trying to contain it all in a single post for each gun could get a little unwieldy?

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie
    I've wondered this too in the past..

The 'bad feedback' thing dun't wash though - you just have to search for "Logun s16" to see what I mean

[Soooooooooo predictable].

When writing the post above I did recognise there was recently a thread regarding the AGS rifle, and how it effectively stopped me buying one (thankfully).

The issue (from the PC view - one not wholly enjoyed by Dan), is in the 'intent'. The site hosts could hardly be expected to delete each and every criticism of any rifle sold/bought by a shooter. After all, one man's meat is another mans poison as it were. But if the site hosts were to set themselves up as an industry reference site (since effectively that is what is being discussed), they could be/would be held accountable for disfavourable reports about genres of air gun.

The difference may seem too subtle for some, but it's there.

Unimexsol Guest
    The site owners are not held responsible for posts on a site, just like a magazine editor is not responsible for opinions expressed in a Letters page.

I cannot see what harm it could do to a Manufacturer to have honest reviews. Either the reviews are good - which is good for business, or the reviews are bad - in which case the manufacturer knows what aspect of the weapon they have to improve.

I see that Top Gear Magazine which tests cars and publishes honest and often unflattering reviews of different makes and models does not have a problem getting all the manufacturers to advertise in it's magazine! I don't know of any that have withdrawn their business as a response to a bad review.

Imagine what a useful resource it would be for all airgun shooters.

No reason I know of, just nobody has bothered to start a review section as airgun reviews are normally in airgun section anyway

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Unimexsol
    The site owners are not held responsible for posts on a site, just like a magazine editor is not responsible for opinions expressed in a Letters page.
    Wrong. "Guess" again.

Unimexsol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie
    Wrong. "Guess" again.

Am I wrong? If I post, for instance, that Daystate guns are rubbish and incapable of hitting a barn door at 10 yards then Daystate could not sue the site owners for libel, could they?

Besides, this site has moderators and so anything that was potentially libellous (sp??) or in any other way legally dangerous would be moderated. This is in just the same way that if someone posted something racist it would be deleted by the moderators.

I still can't see where the problem is. Unless it is with the manufacturers.

Gary C Guest
    Yes Daystate could sue the site owners for libel as they are responsible for the contents of the site.
    The mods don't need to be libel monitors or experts this way and that's the way the owner prefers it.
    If it's not to your taste there are lots of forums

Quote Originally Posted by Unimexsol
    Am I wrong? If I post, for instance, that Daystate guns are rubbish and incapable of hitting a barn door at 10 yards then Daystate could not sue the site owners for libel, could they?
    This is a pointless debate.

You want the 'review' section, Baz says the only thing stopping it, is people putting the work in. Discussion over.

As for this Forum. There is no 'free speech' rule. There is a difference between an unhappy customer, and a Reference Site publishing unsatisfactory reports on consumer goods especially since the reviewers may be somewhat unqualified.

In the real world.......

This site is here for the benefit of the industry, in helping and promoting the business and the sport in general. It is paid for (I believe) from profits made running a business or businesses.

If the site owners became know as publishers of every minor complaint with every product bought by every dissatisfied customer, how long do you think it would be before that business got treated like a 'leper' by every other member of the industry?

The 'readers letters' idea compares favourably with individual posts by dissatisfied customers. In fact the 'posts' are better because you can search for these in 'out of issue' copies.

But a repository that included disfavourable reviews? I wouldn't like to try to defend that in court, or pay the bill for it even if I won.

I look forward to seeing the airgun review section.

Unimexsol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    Yes Daystate could sue the site owners for libel as they are responsible for the contents of the site.
    The mods don't need to be libel monitors or experts this way and that's the way the owner prefers it.
    If it's not to your taste there are lots of forums

Thanks for that GaryC! So I ask a question and get told that that's the way it is and I should go to another forum. Gee, you're so open-minded!

As I don't know who the owner, admins, or moderators are then I can't ask them directly. Although I'd be interested in their reasons. It may be as Baz said that there is no reason apart from it has never been thought necessary. However your attitude sucks, and unless you are the owner of this site (in which case boot me) I'd keep your blinkered and narrow minded posts to yourself.

Gary C Guest
    Actually my post was perhaps a tad waspish...but then seeing your rather insulting reply I'll not bother to withdraw it but merely advise you to wipe your dummy before you pick it up again.