Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk3 Deep Discharge

Mk3 Deep Discharge

I have just had a gun back that is "DEAD".

After examination I found the battery was completely discharged and had been left in on in the "off safe" position with the isolation switch on. This had completely drained the battery over the course of a few weeks.

Just leaving the gun on charge overnight restored the gun to its previous working condition.

The symptoms of a deeply discharged gun are:

1. No light and will not fire (obvious)

2. Nothing happens initially when the charger is plugged in.

3. Over the course of a few tens of minutes of charging the LEDs flicker and then flash regularly. This indicates that there is enough voltage in the battery for the electronics to function correctly and the gun is charging normally.

If this ever happens to you, please do not panic, just simply plug the charger in and leave overnight and the gun will be restored to perfect working order in the morning. None of the programmed settings will be lost and the battery is designed to survive deep discharge cycles without damage (in fact it might be even slightly beneficial, even though NiMh batteries do not suffer from memory effect).

I rather think that this has happened on a few occasions in the past where units have been returned to me with flat batteries and no fault found after charging.

Just to remind owners that the gun will go into a low current sleep mode and will flash and beep if left on without firing for 15 minutes. It will stay in this mode for weeks, depending on the initial charge capacity left after shooting.

Please remember to switch the isolation switch off when putting the gun away, it is safer and could save you the frustration of waiting overnight for the gun to charge.

David

Question

Sorry if this post seems a little negative but here goes. I am not a Daystate Mk 3 owner but I like the look of it very much. However, this post, whilst refreshingly honest, means that a Mk 3 owner has yet ANOTHER rechargeable battery to worry about along with his/her digital camera, mobile phone, laptop etc some of which can be mains powered if the battery has failed for some reason or is in need of charging.
    It does make you think when you have to add your AIR RIFLE to that list!!
    I am a well organised person with loads of rechargeable batteries of all kinds but get caught out from time to time with appliances needing them-mainly my digital camera and especially the flashgun. I think I would go nuts if my air rifle was not usable when I intended to go shooting on the spur of the moment!
    Am I alone in thinking that in spite of enabling its amazing performance, this is perhaps a step too far in battery use?

You get so many hundreds of shots per charge that there's no need to worry. All you have to do is give it a charge once in a while and otherwise forget about it. I'm not too organised and it's never been a problem for me.

Lionel

I only charge mine up every few months and I have never had a spot of bother with it. It's a wonderful weapon and I would recomend to anyone.

Batteries Included!

Rapidnick

I think it is worth considering the immense shot capacity of a Mk3 battery that all but removes worries with regards to battery maintenance, before ruling out batteries for airgun use.

A charge will give typically more than 7000 shots (even more now we are using lean charge technology). The battery will last about 24 days if left continuously on and the battery is good for at least 1000 charging cycles, with a very low self-discharge rate when left idle.

All this adds up to trouble-free ownership where the gun only needs occasional charging in normal use.

I am convinced that an electronic action is far superior that its mechanical cousin in terms of efficiency, speed, gun handling, user benefits and ultimate gun/shooter accuracy, that far outweighs the “inconvenience” of occasional charging. It also opens the way to even more startling gun developments that simply would not be possible with mechanical actions.

However, there are applications where mechanical actions are preferred and I do not think that mechanical triggers are going to be replaced overnight by CDT technology. I suggest that both technologies will run in parallel with electronics providing the ultimate in performance and features.

Maybe electronic action performance represents a step too far for their mechanical counterparts to follow.

David

David

I have a MKIII (A) amongst the MKIII's I own. Is it possible to get this rifle over to the re-chargable battery method? The reason for asking is I have had to change the batteries on the rifle and the last time I did it I broke the wires and it had to be returned to Daystate to have it fixed.

Regards
    Barry
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

Gary C Guest
    Ok David.

Now you're sounding like a mouthpiece for Daystate.

I won the UKHFT last year with a MK3. I now shoot an AA400. It is EVERY bit as accurate and far more user friendly. It is also more reliable. You know you wont get beeped at or your battery die mid shoot.

The MK3 has a higher shot count but for the extra weight you could buy and use a BSA bull Barrel and get more and a better balance.

You also have the issue of conformal coating getting damaged and the thing going pop.

Mk3 is 2.5x the price of a standard 400. It is better.

It is the same price as my GML 400 with PW Sporter stock.

I prefer the 400.

Gary, FYI the balance ha been shifted to a near perfect position on the Mk3 Sporter, much better than a BSA or AA.
    (Not arguing, just stating a fact that you may not be aware of)
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

Lash13 Guest
    I use a Mk3b because it felt just right and I shoot better with it, (a confidence thing I guess) inspite of the fact that I know most PCP guns are just as accurate. So there aint no logic to it.

We all enjoy performing maintenance tasks on our rifles its part of the enjoyment...we wouldnt moan about wiping the gun down with oil so why moan about charging the battery every few months.

The Mk3 is the first rifle (of many) I've had, that I would never part with.

Lee

Sniper 296 Guest
    Least you can get the same accuracy from a AA S400 for a lower budge like mine...

But if I had the money I would go for a MK3 walnut....

but there is one thing that plays on my mined about them... Are they OK in the rain

Mike H Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper296
    but there is one thing that plays on my mined about them... Are they OK in the rain
    Never used mine in a downpour, but have shot in light rain. Not a problem at all
    Mike.

I think the S400 series are great value but in my opinion are dated and although as accurate as anything else I have ever used they lack the feeling of quality

AA make superb springers though

The Daystate MK3 is an outstanding air rifle as far as I am concerned it oozes quality, and even though I really prefer mechanical triggers theres no denying the MK3 unit is truly excellent though, the stocks are superb, allowing my thumbs up style too

The weight of the MK3 doesnt worry me at all, if I had to carry one all day I would take the MFR

Baz

CDT Evangelist?

Gary

Please do not confuse my almost evangelical enthusiasm for electronic gun technology with supposed commercial or even selfish support for Daystate.

This has little to do with Daystate and very much more to do with a dream Steve Harper and I started when we developed CDT back in the 1980’s. We really do believe it has an overwhelming advantage over mechanical systems that we want to introduce to other fellow shooters. We are very serious and committed to this belief.

Back then CDT made very little impact on the airgun scene and it has only been through dogged determination by Steve and myself with the help and support from Daystate, that has made CDT the success that it is today.

Meanwhile we are very mindful that certain people will find electronics and guns an unacceptable mix and we acknowledge that mechanical actions are a better solution in certain applications. We cannot please everyone, but at the very least we providing diversification in the airgun world where people can take their choice.

Reliability problems that you mention have all been addressed, many were caused by non-electronic failures where many people were quick to blame the new technology. Much work and effort has been made to eliminate problems and I am a sure Harper Classic guns and Daystate have gone the extra mile in preventing “disappointments”. Daystate report very few problems now.

Recent 3rd party bench rested accuracy tests have revealed the accuracy potential of the Mk3, making it the most accurate gun tested, although the tests were not comprehensive it does suggest that a still action, fast lock time and reduction of muzzle blast turbulence increases accuracy at longer ranges. I believe that the shooter is always more important the gun, but the whole accuracy performance is always the sum of the parts, the shooter and the gun.

The Mk3 RT is heavier than the AA400, but that has little to do with the electronics, it has more to do with their robust construction. The new Mk3 is now shorter and lighter in response to user feedback. According to our research the Mk3 RT with lean charge is the most efficient gun available when you consider reservoir air capacity. The beeps that you mention can be turned on and off at will.

The Mk3 is more expensive than the AA400 as you have rightly pointed out; cutting edge technology has its price. Cost reduction is going to be one of our goals over the coming years and that will hopefully be achieved with volume and more cost effective technology.

Gary, you have probably done more than most in endorsing CDT technology by winning the UKHFT championship last year with the Mk3, you have elected to shoot a different gun this year, I wish you luck and every success, I also respect your choice of gun and opinions.

However I do think it is a little unfair for accusing the Mk3 for being what it is. It is like criticising a horse for winning and then accusing it of being a thoroughbred.

David

zooankski Guest
    seconded baz!

Kev. (Cambs.) Guest
    What's this, Zoo is going to second for Baz,....where's this dual taking place then