Thread: New hunting technique ?

AndyMc59 Guest

New hunting technique ?

Travelling over some of my shooting grounds at 2000 ft in the brother in laws microlight last weekend allowed me a birds eye view of the individual shooting points I use on a regular basis .
    Following my request to drop to a lower height , I noticed that the low swoops of the aircraft appeared not to have any affect upon the feeding rabbits down below .
    Anyway , an early dart from work and a late evening flight, suitably armed with the Rapid , allowed me to harvest several rabbits before the large shadow of a low flying microlight eventually alarmed the remaining conies back to the sanctuary of their warrens .
    Next time I intend to wear my Dads old motorcycling goggles , as the visor equipped helmet did not allow me a great deal of time to gain a clear sight picture . I also noticed that the act of craning my neck out of the aircraft caused considerable disscomfort , and I now intend to wear a suitable scarf above my leather flying jacket .
    Following the act of stenciling the rabbit outline kills on the microlight , I am strongly considering the use of a suitably fitted mounting rail that will allow a full traverse of the ground below . If this proves to be more effective , I will let you know .
    Max .

I have a Lewis gun on a Scarfe mounting, which my grandfather salvaged from a crashed Bristol Fighter in 1918. £2000 posted, or will swap for a mint copy of "Collected Porkie Pies." by Terry Doe.
    Gus.
    PS Calibre is .303, as earlier .177 version tended to over-penetrate!
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

T-Hire Guest

Talking

Make sure you don't get ricochets M8 as the wing covering on them there micro chips is well thin.

It could wind up with you becoming a cropper

Nice one!

AndyMc59 Guest
    I must admit to being tempted by the Lewis gun . Trouble is , upon firing ,will it cause the micro light to reach stalling speed ?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMc59
    I must admit to being tempted by the Lewis gun . Trouble is , upon firing ,will it cause the micro light to reach stalling speed ?
    Mount it in the tail then

Mmmmmmmm, I'll have to dig out my old dad's well-thumbed copy of "Biggles bags a Bunny". I'm just waiting for a Sopwith Camel to come up in the sales section on here.

chris ballard Guest

Exclamation If your gonna do it, Do it properly!

Forget it, rabbits need different treatment to tourists and trespassers these days.

what you need is a GAU8 avenger cannon...ok, it probably weighs more than a family car (particularly with the rest of the A10 wrapped round it!!), and again tends to over prenetrate, but a 4200 RPM, you cant miss!!

Can we start a 30mm / .177 / .22 debate now please??

Quote Originally Posted by chris ballard
    Forget it, rabbits need different treatment to tourists and trespassers these days.

what you need is a GAU8 avenger cannon...ok, it probably weighs more than a family car (particularly with the rest of the A10 wrapped round it!!), and again tends to over prenetrate, but a 4200 RPM, you cant miss!!

Can we start a 30mm / .177 / .22 debate now please??
    I was thinking more along the lines of "which is the best hunting bullet for a Lewis gun in .303?", or perhaps "how much holdover to avoid shooting off the prop blades?".

sneaky beaky Guest
    chock's away! da dara dah dah, da dara da da

wind up city... or what

What no triple A,s from the rabbits?......the Connie's round your way are not very organized are they

jim
    ex blue job

chris ballard Guest
    Our rabbits have patriots hidden in their warrens, and all have IR resistant fur...whats up cr*p shot....dont want to move into the 21st century

loiner1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMc59
    mmmmm..scync one firing backwards at the same time,,,,,,laws of physics where they is an action they is always a reaction......must be brill firing from a microlight

AndyMc59 Guest
    Latest "sortie" recorded 4 totally destroyed warrens and a highly damaged rookery . The sidewinders are really doing the business once I sussed out how to hot wire the existing guidance system . Max .