Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: restriction on muzzeloader pistols

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    I'm not sure I'd want a double barrelled flintlock, though!
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim, since you mentioned a double flinter I'll tell you about the one my friend MADE. He used to work for a company called Holland & Holland and one day he came across a pair of scrap s/s barrels. There was nothing structurally wrong with them they were just not up to the usual standard. I seem to remember the rib was not laid quite square. Anyway he was given them for his project.

He made breech blocks and then set about making a single flintlock. He had a workmate who was a stocker who undertook the woodwork. The eventual gun was made as an o/u rather than s/s. Now to the clever bit. He made the pan quite deep and put a spring loaded divider in which was released when the cock went to it's half cock position. So, to load, you stuffed both barrels as one does with a front stuffer. Then put the lock into half cock(divider opens automatically), powder bottom of pan, press divider closed and fill top half of pan.

When ready to fire, fully cock piece, fire top barrel. All you had to do then was to cock again (as cock went thru 1/2 way, pan divider opens automatically exposing primer for bottom barrel) close frizzen and fire again.

The result was a thing of beauty which was engraved "Made by ***** ***** and ***** ***** at Holland & Holland (Date)". He once offered to sell it to me but at the time I wanted a .45. WRONG DECISION.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Sounds like an interesting gun.

My fear with a double flintlock would be flying sparks setting off both barrels at the same time!
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

That would just add to the fun of it Jim
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

boom ,boom
    ballkeeper