Thread: 'Fired' up to shoot again

'Fired' up to shoot again

Hi all,I have been lurking on this Forum for a wee while but I feel it is time to get back involved!! It has been a LLLLOOOONNNGGG time since I have been competitive in 10m Air Pistol (22 years to be exact). I vaguely remember being half decent in competition and watching the Olympics has got me Jonesing for a return. When I was shooting before I used a Feinwerbau 65 to start with and moved on to a Feinwerkbau CO2 which was superb. Both since long gone sadly so I really need some advice on what would be a good way to go,equipment wise, to get back to competitive shooting.

Thanks in advance

Eric

PM Sent
    Evo 10 Compact.

Thanks Silvershooter, not sure I want to go down the co2 route again but will give it some thought. Quite fancy the idea of self contained spring or single stroke pneumatic. Used to love the Gamo compact ( I won one when they first came out) can this be used at a high level though ?

Hi Eric
    The FAS 604 (SSP) is capable of high scores. In a match of 60 shots however, it becomes awkward to cock as the muzzle has to be pointed down range at all times, and at the same time one avoiding moving the feet. Same for the Gamo compact.
    Evo 10 Compact.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    You can pick up a second hand Compact for around £100, with an extended sear engagement screw and fettled sear surfaces it can equal SSPs at 3 times the price
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

i would not go down the single stroke route, unless you want to combine some keep fit with your shooting
    Not sure what your budget is, but there are a few choices, I think it would have to be co2 or pnp even for casual target shooting, I resently picked up a fwb model 2 for £250 (about another £65 for co2 bottle and first fill), I have seen a few Tau 7's for around £300, and Rohm are doing some nice pistols that are co2 and compressed air (can be converted to shoot either).
    Or you could take a trip down memory lane and get a fwb 65 or Original 6 or 10 .
    Good luck and have fun

Probably great timing from my part!!! I joined this forum a while ago, not logged on for ages, and haven't shot for a while before that, and 10m pistol shooting was my preference!

I have a FAS 604 and Gamo Compact, and also my father-in-law's FWB 65. I only ever shot in my father-in-law's factory as we had our own measured range set up there as he used to shoot competitively! I think I did okay, averaging mid nineties!!!

Can I ask a question on a comment earlier in this thread? Someone mentioned about the barrel facing down the range at all times. Does this really mean that for a single stroke pneumatic you end up with the stock towards the target??? That would make cocking awkward!! I am considering joining a local club and I am sure they'd cover that on induction, but seriously!!!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Barrel points downrange at all times when you're on the firing line.
    It's not difficult although with an SSP you might have to turn your waist or move your feet when charging depending on your stance and the effort required - but thats the price of range safety and theres no compromises.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    The HW 75 is a great pistol, if you fancy an SSP.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone