Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Arms Alfa Proj

Air Arms Alfa Proj

Hi, Had a look at a second hand Alfa Proj and it was a revelation over th rohms I've been looking at.
    At around £375 it seems reasonably priced but are they any good and are spares readilly available.
    I note that Rohm have gone out of business.

JohnB

Quote Originally Posted by JB911 View Post
    Hi, Had a look at a second hand Alfa Proj and it was a revelation over th rohms I've been looking at.
    At around £375 it seems reasonably priced but are they any good and are spares readilly available.
    I note that Rohm have gone out of business.

JohnB
    A good pistol, but that's pricey, a brand new @ protek is £399 I bought the Alfa pro classic just serviced for under £250, atb ...mike...

Thanks Mickson, but this was the air arms pcp variant and not the original CO2 that you refer to. In passing is this CO2 variant any good?
    Thanks

JohnB

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JB911 View Post
    Thanks Mickson, but this was the air arms pcp variant and not the original CO2 that you refer to. In passing is this CO2 variant any good?
    Thanks

JohnB
    Yup its great still @ club level shooting, ...mike...

There have been several topics asking quite the same question about the Alfa!
    Imo? No, they're not worth their money, especially not in pcp trim
    ATB,
    yana

boff180 Guest
    The main gun used at our club is the CO2 Alfa, good guns for starting out and in the right hands, very accurate. I have the Air Arms PCP variant and love it, it has won me a fair few gold medals with it.

That said, another club member bought one of the Air Arms and after it being sent back three times in three months with leaks, he took a refund.

Andy

The Air Arms Alpha pcp is an excellent pistol for match and general use. One of the advantages is that the grip is ambi, and suits most hand sizes. I get about 85 shots on a fill, and the filler is the same fitting as the AA rifles. I can't fault the accuracy - it's the same as my Benelli Kite which cost twice as much. That's all my opinion, of course, but I'm extremely pleased with it and would buy the same again.
    Dave

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Exfelix View Post
    One of the advantages is that the grip is ambi
    Surely that makes it good for a Club Starter but almost pointless for anyone wishing to make serious advances in 10m or 20 Yard?
    Without a palm shelf one cannot apply or learn correct technique,

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Yes, you are perfectly correct, Nick, but I was making a statement in the spirit of the thread, presuming that JohnB wasn't heading for the British Champs anytime soon. I generally score mid to high eighties in club 10m comps, and of the two Alphas competing in the Bisley club league we currently lie first and third. For 'serious competition' John should expect to pay upwards of £1000, but I would recommend the Alpha as a reasonably-priced starter. It is also possible to add a grip shelf should you desperately need one.
    Dave

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    If the interest is in target rather than plinking surely it's worth getting a gun with what is accepted as a basic pre-requisite rather than hobbling one's self by buying something without??

- Nick

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    I have commented on the AA Alfalfa (intentional spelling) before. The trigger is what I would term 'agricultural' at best, and after several attempts at trying to get it to hold a 500 gram weight I gave up. The balance is pretty awful, and the cocking mechanism is really counter-intuitive and from an ergonomics point of view something that has been dug out of the stone age. The firing cycling is akin to squeezing a damp fart down a bic biro tube. We have had one up the club for three years...it has gathered dust because all the club members hate it with a vengeance!

I am no fan, but I am not a snob - there are better pistols around in the second hand market than would stand up and urinate all over the AA offering - if its plinking you want, buy it.....if its target work, then buy it ....then two weeks later realize you should have bought something actually up to the mark.

Just my opinion though, what do I know

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    Yes, you are perfectly correct, Nick, but I was making a statement in the spirit of the thread, presuming that JohnB wasn't heading for the British Champs anytime soon. I generally score mid to high eighties in club 10m comps, and of the two Alphas competing in the Bisley club league we currently lie first and third. For 'serious competition' John should expect to pay upwards of £1000, but I would recommend the Alpha as a reasonably-priced starter. It is also possible to add a grip shelf should you desperately need one.
    Dave
    You can buy a good secondhand steyr Lp10 for around 600-750 which would more that do the job, as well as some nice Morini's - the preconception that cost=scores is wrong, it should be decent kit+bloody hard training = scores. There should be no distinction between 'serious' and 'non-serious' competition - if you are shooting for a score, then you shoot to do the best irrespective of where you are - club, bisley, world cup or olympics.

Minor rant (but with the right intentions I hope) over

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

This is headed for silly street - perhaps we ought to re-read the original post and not ride away on our own particular hobby horses.

I think the Alfa Proj classic is a good target pistol for the money. It is not as good as a modern match pistol but they cost 3 times as much new. I found the trigger acceptable and it will out shoot me. My one has never leaked on me unless you put a new Co2 cartridge in with out cocking the hammer. It is an excellent starter pistol which will enable you to see if you want to spend the extra money on a more modern design. another good choice is a Bikal IZH46 if you can find one. I am a little prejudiced as I have upgraded to a Hammerli Ap40 and now want to sell my Alfa Proj Classic.

This is headed for silly street - perhaps we ought to re-read the original post and not ride away on our own particular hobby horses.
    Says the man who managed to interpret a perfectly valid & relevant comment about the pointlessness of ambi grips for any level of 10m target shooting as an argument for spending thousands and trying to compete at national levels