Thread: Couldn't hit a thing!!!

Couldn't hit a thing!!!

I shoot on my own at my indoor range. Been doing good. Relaxed, confident aiming and shooting. Then an old friend came to visit. Ended up showing off my collection of pistols etc. We had a little session fireing each gun. I couldnt hit a thing virtually!!!. The nerves kicked in, and the unexpected pressure of being wached compleatly threw me. Good job I hadnt just put in for a competition or such. Anyway, another element to think about. Need to find some way of getting round this. Dont particulally want to do comps, but need to be able to shoot under pressure.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Than practice under pressure! Organise informal matches between shooting buddies.
    Or a match with yrsef: 'if I shoot less than a 9, it'll cost me a pound' or something like that. Or set yrself a time-limit.
    Or ask friends, family, shooting buddies to stand behind you when you shoot.

For matches, relaxation exercses can also help
    ATB,
    yana

This is something a lot of people have trouble with. I work as a service engineer on industrial machinery. Unlike some of my fellow engineers i can happily do it whilst being watched by multiple customers (like 2 on each shoulder), some of my colleagues go to pieces with "spectators". Its kind of a bit like public speaking, just no ones going to pelt you with stuff if they don't like what you say! (probably something to do with you being the one holding the gun )

Have a look around the internet for self help stuff for this, there's a lot of it out there and its very much just a mental thing. You end up doubting your self and you can just make it worse, but the second your alone again your back to "Olympic standard"

Key thing i find with shooting that helps me is not to be aiming at a formal target. Take something like a empty coke can and just make it fun so you relax. All the more so with showing someone new to pistol shooting (hitting something is a big part of the fun to most people, especially new people having a go!). As a kid i use to love perforating empty cans. These days, i try to only shoot them when there laying with the ring pull hole facing me. A hit only counts to me now if it goes through the hole and out the bottom! Hitting any part of the top is "bad form" Yet give me a target and i go to pieces even at the same range! That's just me though and is the same with people watching or not unfortunately Hence try making it less formal next time and don't pin your self into such a tight corner.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Get some of your clubmates in to the range to shoot at the same time and let the banter flow - eventually, you'll develop the ability to tune out the background noise and concentrate on your shooting.

Between shots, join in the conversation and then switch off for the next shot or series. It's not easy but a great skill to acquire.

Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Try the online UBC comps. And do it exactly "by the book" as if someone was watching you.(if you have an unsatisfactory score... send it in anyway. That might give confidence to carry on ). Then, after a while, get a pal round to do one with you "as a bit of fun".

I'd also say have a go at the UBC competitions.
    Many are against the clock and this tends to focus you more.
    So you kind of forget about spectators
    atb
    Nige
    BSA Superten BBK (Blueprinted), BSA Ultra SS Regged, Tanfoglio Witness, Umarex 1911
    and many, many bows and slingshots

Thanks for all the tips and comments. All taken on board. Cheers. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I agree that shooting with others will help overcome stage fright. But then, if you don't want to do shoulder-to-shoulder comps, why would this be a problem in the first place?

I say, shoot the UBC comps and have lots of low-pressure fun.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone