Thread: Misfire, any ideas?

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Misfire, any ideas?

Took the Pedersoli LePage out today and had a misfire. Now there is a charge of powder and a ball at the bottom of the barrel. How do I remove it. I tried several more caps but no ignition.

I also tried worming it out but couldn't budge the damned thing. As I had cunningly left the nipple key at home I came back in a sulk, removed the nipple and managed to get a little powder out through the hole.

Then I refilled with a little fine powder and screwed the nipple back in. However, as I don't think my neighbours would take kindly to me firing a .44 from my window (assuming it worked) I now have to wait until I get back to the range to see if it works.

If it doesn't work does anyone have any ideas about pulling the ball? I don't want to over worm it and leave a ring of lead at the bottom of the barrel and I can't shift the breech plug as I don't have tools or equipment to do it.

Ideas on a postcard please to....
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Compressed air

hello mate, some of the BP guys at my club have this genius little device that you attach to nipple then fire a compressed air bulbs charge into the barrel. Fast and fun way to clear it out?. Think you can get the device from places like Fultons of Bisley and Henry Kranks...

Should be in every BP shooter's shooting box. I've used one twice in recent years. But not on any gun of mine.

tac

The compressed gas bullet remover is a very useful tool.

But be warned, it sends the ball out under enough pressure to cause injury and can send a ball 50 yards downrange.
    If you use one make sure it is pointed in a safe direction and I would be very careful of using one indoors.

ps Are you sure the nipple is not blocked which could be the cause of the misfire?

If you have to extract the ball manually be careful that you do not damage the inside of the barrel. Even with extreme care they can skew off centre. Lads at the club have made themselves extractors out of large threaded screws welded to a bar that has a bush to make sure the extractor is central in the bore.

Good idea but

Quote Originally Posted by swidds View Post
    hello mate, some of the BP guys at my club have this genius little device that you attach to nipple then fire a compressed air bulbs charge into the barrel. Fast and fun way to clear it out?. Think you can get the device from places like Fultons of Bisley and Henry Kranks...
    I did try that and it didn't work. At a gusee the position of the nipple prevents a good seal.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Iv had the same problem with a Lepage and a .577 rifle. Bit of powder down the nipple hole worked both times. Tim

misfire

Ive hab a few misfires and fine powder under the nipple has worked for me . Was this the first shot of the day if not you must clear bore and clean as soon as poss or your bore will corrode and ruin the gun. Ive also pulled balls with worm on loading rod so give it a go again . Also are you sure there is powder under the ball i know this sounds daft but its easy to get confused its happend to me when gabbing away

the compressed C02 inflator I have used is by a company called Genuine Innovations. Look on a well known auction site under push bike inflators, they are cheaper. You can buy different fitting to fit different nipples, or a adaptor to fit flintlocks

Sorted thanks

Removed nipple, made sure the flash hole was clear with a piece of wire, emptied what powder I could out through the vent and then trickled a few grains of fresh powder in.

Tried it yesterday and it fired good style.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The Bosun's Watch

It's good that you got it sorted, I had this issue a few times with my Ruger Old Army and discovered it was the percussion caps that were the problem, changed to a different make and haven't had a problem since.