Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring pistol ideas please

Spring pistol ideas please

I'm getting bored with my recoilless pistols and fancy a spring pistol but don't really know what's on the market.

I know everyone raves about HW45's but what else is there just for a bit of informal target use to put a grin on yer face?

My criteria would be a decent trigger, something fairly compact that isn't huge and heavy and for a budget of up to £150 used.

Suggestions welcome please chaps......

Interesting question.

I am currently using my Gamo Falcon a lot, and find it accurate 10m.

This only cost me £45 posted.

An Original Model 5 is probably your best bet. A quality gun without the giss system, it'll recoil as all break barrel springers do, but would not be frustrating inaccurate.

You should put up a good condition one for a £100 or so, possibly less.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

I've got an ASI/Gamo Center and a Falcon, both accurate enough for 10 metre and plinking fun.
    Center trigger is ok but my Falcon is a bit heavy, same actions so I need to tweak the Falcon a bit.
    Just stripped the Center and giving it a light tune as it had thick old grease in it.

SGS DUO is a good pistol if you can find one as it is in between a FAS 604 and a HW45. Also I do like using the RECORD JUMBO for targets, it does not have much range But is very compact. There is always the BSA 240 MAGNUM if you want something a bit smaller than the HW45. All these spring guns are great but none will out last the WEIRAUCH as it is top of its food chain in my opinion.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Slant grip Webley Senior... compact, powerful with firearm standards of quality & heritage that makes the '45' look over-sized and cheap.
    More difficult to shoot well though

I really love spring air pistols and have twenty-five at the moment! For what you're prepared to pay, there are any number of classic spring air pistols within your budget, maybe not mint, but certainly usable and enjoyable. I have an HW45 and it's kind of fun but not as enjoyable or satisfying to shoot as classic Webley overlevers, Hy-Scores, or BSA Scorpions or BSA Magnums. You can have loads of fun with any of these, my favourite is a Webley Tempest, followed by the BSA Scorpion, Hy-Score Sporter, then the Baikal IZH-53, which might be a good choice for you, they're not massively powerful but they are excellent value for money and have excellent barrels and triggers. A bit of a tune and relube, these pistols are great, and you'll have a load of change left over out of £150. If you want something more powerful but quirky and unusual, look at a Cometa Indian, the trigger's a bit heavy on these but is good once you're used to it.

You should really try a few pistols out and see what takes your fancy if possible, sometimes you pick up a pistol and don't take to it, sometimes it just feels right and you want to own it immediately.

Grin on yr face? Compact? A Tempest!
    Ok, not as accurate as a HW45 maybe, but loads of fun!!
    Otherwise, I very much like the Diana LP5/5 magnum, and LP6/10.
    Allthough not compact..
    ATB,
    yana

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I'm half charmed by the "Failed plumbers apprentice-piece" look of webley springers, but given that the function is mechanically identical to but with inferior function to the HW45 why should they be more involving unless because they are less consistant and less accurate?
    The BSA Magnum is under powered and has a badly designed grip but is superior to Webley pipework

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The BSA Magnum is under powered...
    Not really size for size, I doubt most pistol targets would be able to discern the difference in power levels...unless you're thinking of going seal clubbing in which case yep, I'd have to agree the HW45 would make a better job of it.

Well, we dont have a choice here, the HW40, the HW45, and the BSA magnum, as well as similar pistols, áll forbidden in Holland.
    So couldnt tell you more about those. Cán about the little Webley's, those are legal, I own several, and they're GREAT fun, which, imo, is most important.
    They're well made s well, and compact. The reverse action recoil, also adds to the fun. They áre quite accurate for plinker pistols. At 5 yrds, you can print 5 shot groups of 1cm edge-edge measured, shot 2 handed. At 10/12m, you can keep all shots within 1". I even shot a 47 ex 50 once, 1 handed, with my Tempest. On 10m, on a official 10m card.
    But they're plinkers, no match pistols ofcourse. Imo, their biggest downside is their lowsy adj sight..

I own(ed)the LP5 magnum, LP6/10, but they're nowhere the fun. And the LP magnum is really BIG.
    ATB,
    yana

model 5

another vote for the model 5. cheap, reliable and accurate.

Thanks for the input, I've bought a used HW45 on budget so we'll see what all the fuss is about eh?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Well, we dont have a choice here, the HW40, the HW45, and the BSA magnum, as well as similar pistols, áll forbidden in Holland.
    Why?
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Baikal IZH 53 or HW70.

[QUOTE=fok;5657980]Thanks for the input, I've bought a used HW45 on budget so we'll see what all the fuss is about eh? [/QUOTE

Its more a case of whether you can use it to its potential. A lot of people give up on springers far too soon. It takes time, practice, and understanding. Enjoy using it... it wont let you down.
    Just an afterthought...... A lot of HW45's are sold because the owners expected too much at the outset, and as such, these pistols are in virtual mint condition.(and havent had time to settle-in/bed-down etc.). If your newly-acquired 45 is one of these... please allow a tin of pellets or two before things become more consistant. And, of course, use quality pellets.
    Last edited by lesj; 23-09-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: afterthought