Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baikal izh-46 problem

Baikal izh-46 problem

I've just treated myself to one of these, and very nice it is too ... BUT at least half the time the action of closing the breech vents all the air from the chamber.
    There would seem to be nothing wrong with the two breech seals, once the breech is actually closed the gun is fine.
    Anyone else come across this problem, and any ideas of a solution? Thanks in advance for replies.

Trigger

Is the trigger pull adjustment set too light ? Try setting it slightly heavier.

Baz

First stage pull or second stage? I have not adjusted the trigger at all - it still has its factory settings (and seems about right for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Is the trigger pull adjustment set too light ? Try setting it slightly heavier.

Baz
    first pull or second pull? I haven't changed the factory settings - which seem about correct for me.

Are you sure that at the forward end of the cocking stroke, when opening the pump lever, you are pulling it all the way forward so that the breech lever (which lifts to expose the breech, carrying the transfer port with the two seals on it) is vertical?

That is to say, is the trigger mechanism and valve 'set' before you start the compression stroke of the pump lever?

I actually used mine for quite a while before realising that opening the pump lever did more than just release (and open a little) the breech lever, which I was then pulling back by hand as a completely separate action.

Regards,

Iain

There's also this article primarily on dismantling, but which mentions a problem developing with the valve seal, would that be worth looking at and re-lubing?

http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/BaikalIZH46MReview/

Pellgunoil isn't something I've ever used, Ballistol should be ok on seals I imagine but since there's also the metal valve stem to consider I use Bisley Gun Lubricant on mine (Abbey SM50 is similar, I think, but I've not tried that yet).

It's not a problem I've ever had on mine, in fact I've never had a breech seal blow out either which is something else that's usually mentioned to look out for (well, except when I deliberately left the breech open slightly after reading of this to see what happened).

Regards,

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Iain K D View Post
    Are you sure that at the forward end of the cocking stroke, when opening the pump lever, you are pulling it all the way forward so that the breech lever (which lifts to expose the breech, carrying the transfer port with the two seals on it) is vertical?

That is to say, is the trigger mechanism and valve 'set' before you start the compression stroke of the pump lever?

I actually used mine for quite a while before realising that opening the pump lever did more than just release (and open a little) the breech lever, which I was then pulling back by hand as a completely separate action.

Regards,

Iain
    Definitely cocking this as far as it will go - breech is vertical - and anyway the cocking action is the same for all shots, even though only some result in leaking air. This is very much an intermittent fault within the gun's mechanism.

Kelvin

In the circumstances I've decided to send it back for rectification. I really don't feel competent in dismantling it myself unless it had turned out to be a straightforward fix.

Cheers for all the advice - I'd still be interested in any other thoughts or comments on the problem.

Kelvin

Let us know the results - I am interested in getting a target pistol and the IZH was on my possible list.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ianxwin View Post
    Let us know the results - I am interested in getting a target pistol and the IZH was on my possible list.
    Ian
    No problem, once I get it back I'll let you know.

Kelvin

Still no news on this, but as soon as I hear anything I'll get it posted.

Kelvin

Bad news, I'm afraid. York Guns(the Baikal agent) have had the weapon to pieces and replaced the seals - but once re-assembled it still leaked. They are now looking for a replacement to send to me. The IZH-46 has such a good reputation - I suppose there had to be one lemon out there somewhere.
    In the meantime & to keep in practice, I've bought a second-hand Webley Alecto. Very accurate, and I've found it to be a much friendlier pistol, nowhere near as demanding as the IZH-46.

Kelvin

Quote Originally Posted by kneal View Post
    Bad news, I'm afraid. York Guns(the Baikal agent) have had the weapon to pieces and replaced the seals - but once re-assembled it still leaked. They are now looking for a replacement to send to me. The IZH-46 has such a good reputation - I suppose there had to be one lemon out there somewhere.
    In the meantime & to keep in practice, I've bought a second-hand Webley Alecto. Very accurate, and I've found it to be a much friendlier pistol, nowhere near as demanding as the IZH-46.

Kelvin
    Hmm, thats interesting...I was considering buying myself an IZH 46M.
    Think I'll wait awhile.
    Could you update us when you get a replacement.
    Cheers.

shame such a nice pistol what other options brand new proper 10m ssp pistols. prehaps look into getting it swapped for one.

Used to own one of these and a few people use them at the Club. It is a very good pistol that can achieve top scores in the right hands, so if on a budget it is definately worth considering.
    Regards, Phil