Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WALTHER LGV, What are your opinions of it?

WALTHER LGV, What are your opinions of it?

What are your REAL opinions of the Walther LVG (and variant models) ?

I used handled and test fired one again yesterday, for the third time, and I have to say my first impression still rings true!
    In my opinion very plain and boring looking, especially when compared to the far more attractive Weihrauchs, Air-Arms (although under-levers) and BSA's in the same/similar price bracket which it is competing directly against for sales!
    Credit where credit is due it is a reasonably smooth and quiet spring rifle, but I hasten to add, I feel its no quieter than a Hw80, TX200hc or a BSA Lightning XL, I did also notice a bit of twang upon firing and the trigger is good, but again no better (in fact probably not as good) as either the Weihrauch rekord or Air-Arms CD units, although it was better than a standard BSA springer trigger!
    The interchangable element fore sight and decent rear sight was nice to see, although to be honest this isn't your standard back garden plinker (££££) most people would fit an optic or scope to extract the best possible accuracy from a rifle of this price for hunting or target etc.
    My biggest gripe is the daft barrel lock, which is just over engineered and out-dated, and although fairly ambidextrous it is equally awkward to operate in its current position by both lefties or righties?

I do understand the hype surrounding new airgun releases but personally, given the choice with my own hard earned green stuff on the gunshops counter and with the other quality makers offerings for the same or similar money, I would rather walk out of the door with a shiny new Air-Arms, Weihrauch or dare I say it even a BSA springer!

aston_shooter is offline Sod the PCs, wheres me gun.......
    Still waiting eagerly to shoot one, although I wouldn't put the BSA anywhere near the same class as the other stars you mention.

I doubt I'll be buying one just yet as I can't see how the LGV could shoot any better than my extensively tuned HW80 to be honest.

If starting from scratch then it would probably be a good option for me, and undoubtedly it took more time and money to make my HW80 shoot at the standard it does, but I personally doubt I would benefit from buying the LGV.

Truth be told they do sound good, and if my 80 (or soon to be glided 95K) ever fail me and I'm on the market for another springer then I would take a long hard look at the LGV Master.

Just how quiet are they, by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by nico243 View Post

I used handled and test fired one again yesterday, for the third time, and I have to say my first impression still rings true!
    In my opinion very plain and boring looking, especially when compared to the far more attractive Weihrauchs, Air-Arms (although under-levers) and BSA's in the same/similar price bracket which it is competing directly against for sales!
    Credit where credit is due it is a reasonably smooth and quiet spring rifle, but I hasten to add, I feel its no quieter than a Hw80, TX200hc or a BSA Lightning XL, I did also notice a bit of twang upon firing and the trigger is good, but again no better (in fact probably not as good) as either the Weihrauch rekord or Air-Arms CD units, although it was better than a standard BSA springer trigger!
    The interchangable element fore sight and decent rear sight was nice to see, although to be honest this isn't your standard back garden plinker (££££) most people would fit an optic or scope to extract the best possible accuracy from a rifle of this price for hunting or target etc.
    My biggest gripe is the daft barrel lock, which is just over engineered and out-dated, and although fairly ambidextrous it is equally awkward to operate in its current position by both lefties or righties?

I do understand the hype surrounding new airgun releases but personally, given the choice with my own hard earned green stuff on the gunshops counter and with the other quality makers offerings for the same or similar money, I would rather walk out of the door with a shiny new Air-Arms, Weihrauch or dare I say it even a BSA springer!
    Hi there,i have owned the lgv comp ultra in .177 cal for a week or so now.If someone was looking for an out of the box break barrel springer that they just wanted to shoot without tuning,then the lgv is hard or even impossible to beat.My thoughts are,nice firing cycle,excellent trigger,every bit as good as weihrauchs or anything else i have ever used on an air rifle.I also like the weight and balance,the stock fits nicely although i did have to fit an adjustable butt pad,i like the barrel lock and it sort of clunks into place when you shut the barrel,giving the feeling that it's very well engineered and will last a lifetime,or two.The finish of the blueing is a bit dissapointing though.I also own a tx200 that has had some work done on the inside and is superb to shoot but i would say that a standard tx200 is every bit as good as the lgv,which in it's self,i think, is a compliment to the lgv.

Quote Originally Posted by aston_shooter View Post
    Just how quiet are they, by the way?
    Hi there,mine goes off with a bit of a bark to be honest.Using my tx200 mk3 with the shrouded barrel as a direct comparison.My lgv is a lot louder...

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Hi there,mine goes off with a bit of a bark to be honest.Using my tx200 mk3 with the shrouded barrel as a direct comparison.My lgv is a lot louder...
    Really? That's interesting, thanks mate.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

I agree with most of your post except the BSA bit

The other thing that concerns me about the LGV is the yet unproven cocking linkage with the only thing holding the shoe in the piston is a thin plastic plate on springs in the stock so that the piston can rotate, this is different to all other break barrels.
    It might be all fine but there has been few details given out about its robustness, no one
    seems to know how the metal to plastic set up will stand up to long term wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I agree with most of your post except the BSA bit

The other thing that concerns me about the LGV is the yet unproven cocking linkage with the only thing holding the shoe in the piston is a thin plastic plate on springs in the stock so that the piston can rotate, this is different to all other break barrels.
    It might be all fine but there has been few details given out about its robustness, no one
    seems to know how the metal to plastic set up will stand up to long term wear.
    which BSA bit, as I feel they are attractive rifles, especially now that Minelli have a hand in their stock design (gone are the days of the plain-jane super sport stocks)
    I mainly mention BSA in term of retail price as they are similar players to HW and AA although worlds apart in terms of build quality/trigger etc.....

I haven't had the oppotunity to strip one yet , nor should I hopefully with them being such a new "on the shelf" model so I cant comment on the internals personally, they do feel solid enough and well built, but I have to say I ain't keen on them so far........

Ive seen a couple where the bluing and finishing wasn't up to the standard you would expect on a rifle costing this kind of money. On the cylinder you could see where it hadn't been polished properly before blueing and even that was thin. They could probably have been rouge rifles - but who wants a rogue rifle at this cost?

HTH
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 21-09-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

which BSA bit, as I feel they are attractive rifles, especially now that Minelli have a hand in their stock design (gone are the days of the plain-jane super sport stocks)
    I mainly mention BSA in term of retail price as they are similar players to HW and AA although worlds apart in terms of build quality/trigger etc.....

I haven't had the oppotunity to strip one yet , nor should I hopefully with them being such a new "on the shelf" model so I cant comment on the internals personally, they do feel solid enough and well built, but I have to say I ain't keen on them so far........
    The only BSA bit was it might have been better to compare the other German maker Diana,
    but to be honest I know little the new BSA so maybe you are right to compare.

Just to explain a bit more clear about the LGV linkage and what I mean.
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...arryg2/lpl.jpg
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...907_173746.jpg
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...barryg2/ba.jpg
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...barryg2/ab.jpg

Hi Barry, I wouldnt worry too mch about the linkage support. Articulated cocking levers usualy bear against the bottom of the cylinder. If the linkage is not held against the cylinder it will jump against it during the early part of the cocking stroke, hence the HW35 click! The walther support will prevent this from happening as the linkage is held against the cylinder under light spring pressure. No extra load should be transferred onto the support during cocking. Theoben gas rams (another gun thats cheaper and nicer than an LGV) rely on the inside of the stock to hold their linkages in place.

Regards

Max

I am still not sure about the LGV either. In saying that, I have only actually shot one through a chrono and look forward to giving one a proper run out to see if the comments regarding its accuracy are borne out by my own findings. Like many who are interested in all things that go "boing", I am fortunate to own a fully tuned 80 that would take some beating. There again, so it should as the gun cost an awful lot when bought new eight years ago.

I am currently feeling the urge to purchase another quality springer myself as well. At present, its between a TX, Pro Sport and of course the LGV. I freely admit to being a lover of highly polished perfectly blued guns sporting well figured walnut stocks. At present this precludes the purchase of the LGV, but if when I do eventually shoot the gun in the field, and I think that its accuracy warrants the price, it could well be an LGV moving into my gun cabinet.

I have said it before, but I personally think it is good that a large German manufacturer of renown has taken the trouble, time and money to invest in a spring powered sporting rifle. If you have bought one already I would say to you "b-----s" to what the doubters are saying, just get out and enjoy shooting what is undoubtedly a fine addition to the range of quality spring rifles that are now available to us.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi Barry, I wouldnt worry too mch about the linkage support. Articulated cocking levers usualy bear against the bottom of the cylinder. If the linkage is not held against the cylinder it will jump against it during the early part of the cocking stroke, hence the HW35 click! The walther support will prevent this from happening as the linkage is held against the cylinder under light spring pressure. No extra load should be transferred onto the support during cocking. Theoben gas rams (another gun thats cheaper and nicer than an LGV) rely on the inside of the stock to hold their linkages in place.

Regards

Max
    Hi Max,
    Do you think that the plastic plate could wear a groove in time and the shoe slip out of the piston as there is only a few mm catching in the piston ? it probably is ok but it looks
    a bit like it could, this is a different set up from the others because of the rotating piston the shoe cant hook inside of the cylinder.
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...psea6cfe2f.jpg

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    I think both AA and HW are going to have to up there game, especially HW!!!

As stated its no better than the Air Arms in the original posters view.. and both Air Arms rifles and a damn site better looking in my view..

Hw would only need to sell pre tuned versions without much of a price increase to compete..