Thread: New Steyr LP2

Jamespwpitt Guest

New Steyr LP2

have just bought a new LP2 from Harry and Sue in York for my 12 year old daughter to compete in Triathlon and pony club tetrathlon. they advised her to buy a small grip. A number of issues have arisen and wonder if someone can help.

I find out she has been shooting for years with the Gamo with her middle finger using the index along the gun to stabilise it. she says her index finger is too short! Can you shoot like this? She is reluctant to change. the problem is the grip does not really fit holding the grip like this. Even with the bottom plate as low as possible it still presses into her wrist and does not support the side of the hand as it should. You can I think alter the angle of the grip. I took off the grip then there was a metal rod which moves around but could not see the way to change the angle. Not wanting to mess the settings up I put the grip back on.

is there anyone near Ipswich who know about these things? where can you go for shooting training near here? is there a good book about how to pistol shoot. The gun seems to be shooting a bit high when aiming at the bull. However I have seen threads on BBS saying one should aim below the black circle so one can to the top of the foresight against the yellow. Trying this it shoots too low. sing pony club targets which have a line across the middle it again shoots high. I do not know if Harry checks the sights before sending the guns out. Anyone know?

Hi James

Alot of questions here and many of them not easy to answer without seeing the problems directly.

Firstly - the too high/too low issue. The sights are adjustable and are not set for any given target or person. The idea of aiming off or low is so that the sights themselves dont cover the target when taking the shot. There is nothing to stop you setting the sights so that you are aiming straight at it.

I always set up my sights by taking a shot in the reverse side of a card or white paper. Then I aim for the hole that the last shot just made so that I can see how it is grouping.

Getting the grouping correct is more important than the hitting the target when setting up the sights. Once the grouping is fine and you know your aim point you can then put up a target.

If I was you I would try and get her to shoot using the index finger for pulling the trigger, otherwise she will always get the problem of a grip not fitting properly.

Cheers

Tony

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Take a look at this thread;

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....t+pistol+books

There is really no substitute for coaching and if you can find a local club with a qualified coach that may be the best way forward. I think RobinC on here is in East Anglia and may have local knowledge; worth a pm perhaps.

Hope this helps
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Hi James

If it helps, one of our members used to shoot his Fienwerkbau P44 with exactly the same style, in his case it was because of a problem with his index finger joint, however it still allowed him to shoot in Division 1 so I know its certainly possible to adapt to this grip and still put in good scores.

I also know a couple of our members shooting LP2 compacts have had trouble getting the trigger blade back far enough and they're men so perhaps your daughters grip will require some modfication and/or perhaps the extra small grip if shes right-handed.

Definitely get in touch with RobinC as he's one of the people in question and I seem to recall he made up a replacement trigger blade for his LP2 compact IIRC.
    He may well also to be able to help you with your club query (as has been suggested) having been around on the club circuit for some time...