Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New ISSF rules

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post

I am sorry to say the way I see the Olympics today is most athletes should be good, it's there job. One day it would not surprise me to see an Olympic gold medal being given for a champion welder, or best brick layer. Sour grapes?.No just the sad state of affairs in the world today!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...t_competitions

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Gary
    I don't think Rajmond Debevec (multiple Olympic medalist and world record holder) and Nicolo Campriani (Current Olympic champion) and the 30 other medalists and world record holders who started this petition are blinkered or lack experience in finals!

I simply disagree with the principle as proposed as unfair for the reasons stated by Ahmed, I also fear that this continual drive by the ISSF for alterations to make a participant sport a spectator one can only harm that sport. Now if they and you wish to invent a NEW additional event purely for spectators who have no interest in shooting, then fine, but leave our sport which we and millions of others world wide participate in alone.
    Robin
    Robin.

I haven't read the petition as personally most of the changes that I see everyone is complaining about is to do with a section of the sport I know nothing about and so won't comment as I'm not in any way educated enough. Therefore I also do not know the names, so if they have posted in this thread under a pseudonym I apologies to them as I didn't mean to belittle their achievements.

However as per our protracted discussion last night down the club, I personally felt your arguments with regards to the finals changes were a case of you wanting them to stay the way they have always been, as they work for you, rather than possibly looking at how its possible to improve the attractiveness to the media and general public who know nothing of the sport worldwide.

Also as per my comments last night, although not shooting with a pistol/rifle, the Archery (still a shooting discapline) final were changed between Beijing and London to a very similar format as the ISSF have proposed, and since the archery finals became attractive to the media, publicity improved and GNAS the UK National Governing body have seen a 16% increase in enquiries from prospective new members asking about local clubs, if the same could happen even at a lesser volume then surely that can only be a good thing for the sport. Unless of course you have no wish to see the sport grow and possibly gain a better understanding by the general public.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    And while your at it you can apolagise for accusing me of just wanting things left that work for me, that is untrue and offensive, I object because I believe its unfair.

I also find the final line of your post offensive, you have no knowledge of what work I do for the sport and I have no interest in discussing this with you.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Robin, I'm sorry you took offence at my post, my comments on wanting it to stay how it is, though does ring of just what you said at the club re those who are at ISSF (old farts stuck in their ways, pistol shooters and plinkers).

As I also said that eve, you need to look at how the same changes have improved the way archery is seen by those NOT in the sport, after Beijing I had the same anti attitude as you have now, after seeing the new format in use many times I openly admit I was also stuck with the leave it as it is attitude and I was wrong, the changes I was so against have improved the finals for viewers and competitors 1000 fold. Final events that are changed like this proposal are not necessarily designed with competitors in mind, rather the general public that probably know nothing of a sport but might possibly become interested after seeing a head to head knock out, the same with commentators they are catering for 99.99% of the population who have no idea on what's happening and so will sound and appear stupid and wrong to those in the sport, but those in the sport ARE in the minority.

On my last sentence, ok I'm sorry but in reply if you are not willing to discuss what you have done in the past then I'm unable to form a fair (to you) response and can only respond with the information I have.

Lets agree to disagree, if you want to hold my comments as a personal attack and hold it against me at the club, well I'm sorry that you feel that way. I'm just bringing a possible new look on it and WITH some background knowledge of it, plus I'm willing to face things with an open mind since I've been there, seen it and got the t shirts