Thread: HW40 consistency

HW40 consistency

Hi folks, Well, I bought an HW40 second hand (although looks new) from a forum member the other day, and thought i'd post up some Chrony results...

I used an F1 Chrony.

Pellets used were .177 Weihrauch FT Special pellets, weighed at an average of 8.9 grains.

Shot results as follows:

1. 351
    2. 353
    3. 352
    4. 352
    5. 351
    6. 354
    7. 350
    8. 354
    9. 348
    10 351

So, an average fps of 351.5 fps, which calculates at 2.44ft lbs or 3.31 Joules.

May well try other pellets, but I don't have any and the Weihrauch pellets seem pretty consistent, and were accurate enough in my garage test yesterday

Hi...nice starter target pistol is the '40 and I'd still have one if the old elbows could put up with cocking for an hour or so.
    You don't want to be throwing those expensive, heavy lumps o' lead at paper...get some nice cheap and cheerful Geco pellets, 7 grains and are as good a pellet for average target and plinking as you'll ever need.
    Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    Hi...nice starter target pistol is the '40 and I'd still have one if the old elbows could put up with cocking for an hour or so.
    You don't want to be throwing those expensive, heavy lumps o' lead at paper...get some nice cheap and cheerful Geco pellets, 7 grains and are as good a pellet for average target and plinking as you'll ever need.
    Eric.
    Yeh, they're all I had available... Got them along with the gun.

I'll try a few other pellets through it if I can get hold of a selection.

I did have an HW40 last year but sold it... Recently remembered I actually really enjoyed shooting it And will be handy passing time whilst pigeon decoying is slow.

Quote Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    Yeh, they're all I had available... Got them along with the gun.

I'll try a few other pellets through it if I can get hold of a selection.

I did have an HW40 last year but sold it... Recently remembered I actually really enjoyed shooting it And will be handy passing time whilst pigeon decoying is slow.
    I'd love to watch the fumbling and juggling when a bird dropped into the coys just as you're sighting on a weed amongst the rape!
    Eric.

I fumble at the best of times

Had a root around, and found some Eley Wasps and a full tin of Milbro Jet pointed pellets... Couldn't be bothered setting up the Chrony again, but had 10 shots of each pellet at about 5m... Couldn't quite believe that the Milbros were superb (?!)

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Milbros can be funny like that, they look like the nastiest cheapest pellet this side of an SMK spitfire, but they shoot OK - at pistol ranges at least. Caledonians aren't bad for plinking at all.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Milbros can be funny like that, they look like the nastiest cheapest pellet this side of an SMK spitfire, but they shoot OK - at pistol ranges at least. Caledonians aren't bad for plinking at all.
    Surprisingly, my Webley Nemesis prefers Spitfires above anything else! In both Roundhead and Pointed.

My HW45 loves wasps,spits them out at a nice 550 fps (.177) and once the recoil is mastered it really is accurate,it is the dual power type but i only ever use it on full.
    Webley Exocet .22 (brum) - Webley Longbow .177 (brum) - Weirauch HW25 .177 - Feinwerkbau sport 124 .177 (mk1&2) - Steyr LG110hp .177 - Weirauch HW100 .177 - Weirauch HW45 .177 - Miroku 6000 12g - AYA .410g - Beretta 686sp1 sporter 12g - Baikal IJ58MAE 12g

those are great numbers very consistent i need to sort out a preferred pellet for my pistol and stick to it,every tip i get will help me shoot better