Thread: Where can I get my air pistol serviced?

Where can I get my air pistol serviced?

My .22 BSA Scorpion Mk II air pistol could do with a spruce up - new O ring, possibly a new spring and maybe even re-blueing - in other words a general service. I am having trouble finding someone to do it. I guess it could be posted, though it's pretty heavy, but someone relatively near by might be better. I am mid-way down the Welsh border. Any suggestions gratefully received (and no, I would not consider doing it myself!)

Cor! I am amazed not to have received any replies to this so far - I thought the air gun community would be full of suggestions of shops with a servicing department or that I might even get offers from members who would do the job themselves for the price of the parts and a cash bonus.
    Am I asking the wrong question? Should the air pistol not be touched? Will the spring be just as strong as when new? Maybe I just need to dig out the seal at the end of the barrel and replace that?
    Any suggestions at all??

It's a tough one, I've got a well-used Scorpion where the spring is quite tired but it's still a great plinker and sweet to shoot at about 3.5 ft/lbs, you might want more power.

There is a buffer washer on the piston which might have deteriorated and gone crumbly, if it has, it will need removal and replacement, the O-ring on the cylinder head might still be fine if it's not had much use. The breech seal will probably also need replacement, they go hard and less resilient with age.

I could do this for you if you were in Derby (and I weren't so busy ), I really like Scorpions and have refurbed a few over the years. It's really not difficult and there are good instructions on here somewhere written by GGGR if I remember right. I don't know of any gunsmiths near Ludlow that might take the work on, do a bit of googling then ask on here if anyone knows the company you are considering.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, good luck!

If you contact John Knibbs International (google it) he can provide all the bits and pieces to get it serviced, he may be able to do it - I doubt he is the cheapest option though. I did mine myself, I will see if I can find an article I had on how to do it. if you pm me your email address I'll ping it over later, assuming I can still find it!

Regards

Richard
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I would have thought that a stripdown and reblue would be pretty expensive with postage. I think a few people on here do bluing (Richard H is 1 I think) or there are a few shops with a good name for it.
    Scorpions can be a bit of a bugger to strip if they are broken/ bits damaged, but if they are working to kick off with, it is more a case of being patient. I have done a stripdown guide for them in the "Idiots guide" sticky at the top of the collectable section.
    Take care to remove the sights before you start, get the pistol grip cap off without using brute force and get the right size allen key for the cap headed screw in the grip (3mm I think) and you should be up to it.
    Once the action is out of the grips, watch out the safety spring (looks like a reversed R with a tail on it) does not fly across the room (over £5 a time).
    Parts wise you would be looking for a new breech seal, Piston O ring, buffer washer and mainspring---www.gunspares.co.uk about £25 with postage?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"