Thread: Melting lead

Melting lead

Hi,

I'm new to BP and will be getting a .44 ML revolver in the near future.
    I plan on moulding my own ammo, whats the best heat source for melting the lead?
    Would an electric boiling plate be ok, or would gas be a better option?

Thanks

I use an old double burner camping stove with knackered stainless saucepans, electric hot plate also works well and the benefit of no CO2 to worry about. But I do wear a face mask with a long large diameter hose attached and fed from clean air.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Go and buy a Lee lead smelter its the safest option. lead is a very dangerous metal when at melting temp, its got a controlable pourer so you get it in the mold every time, trust me I'm a plumber and I've handled lead for years and cast 44 ball shot myself
    Last edited by Russell Start; 03-10-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Dont think theres a difinitive way but as above iv used a LEE melting pot with pouring spout for years. When it started leaking around the spout/pot connection i welded it up, removed the lever assy and now use a ladel. Pot with a spout takes lead from the bottom of the pot so you dont generally get any slag in your mold but they can sometimes drip a bit. Very satisfying when you shoot your first batch of home mades especially when you compare them against the cost of bought ones.
    Only use in a well ventilated area and wear gloves and glasses or face mask. Hot lead is not nice when it hits skin. Tim

Thanks for the advice.

secretagentmole Guest
    Get a milkpan with a good pouring lip, works well for me, I make my own fishing weights. I also work in a very well ventilated area, a conservatory with the sliding door fully open. I use a camping gas stove to melt the lead, but I have used electric hobs before now! Just take it steady!

anyone got a design for making a big bottom pourer out of a old empty gas bottle.....saw one on a forum but cannot remember which

I use gas to initially melt the lead into ingots, then use the Lee electric pot to make my ball (assuming you are using second hand lead)

As already mention, lead is extreemly dangerous when hot. The slightest water/dampness will cause it to explode ( the water boils rapidly throwing lead into the air). I've got a scar on my leg to prove this fact.

Always melt in a well ventilated area/outdoors and always wear eye protection.

also see here http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ith-range-lead

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Get a milkpan with a good pouring lip, works well for me, I make my own fishing weights. I also work in a very well ventilated area, a conservatory with the sliding door fully open. I use a camping gas stove to melt the lead, but I have used electric hobs before now! Just take it steady!
    As above. I use the milk pan and electric hob method to make lead ammo for slingshots. I've never had a problem