Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have you got/had

have you got/had

one of these,dont much know about them,but deff drawn to it
    http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...oducts_id=4203
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 26-09-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    ballkeeper

Iv got the Parker Hale 1858 2 band Navy rifled one. Brilliant bit of kit. Mine prefers patched round ball but will shoot mini bullet as well. I use black powder only in mine but i believe you can use a substitute such as 777 or pyrodex aswell. Had it for about 8 years and its still worth what i payed for it if not a bit more and it still gets used on a regular basis. Only down side i know of is they are sighted for distance shooting and as i often shoot mine at 50m the sights are adjusted right down so your cheek is on the stock, 70 ish grains of b/p soon makes its self felt. Tim

sounds great , would that one i picked be about the same 70ish grains do you make the balls or just buy em tim
    ballkeeper

70 grns might be a bit heavy on the recoil for a carbine but i have also used 50gns which shoots well at 50m with acceptable umph. Personally i wouldnt drop below 50gns as i believe the bottom of the barrel is tapered in slightly and you need to use enough powder to ensure the powder charge is compressed with no air pockets. Im sure there are others on this forum who are more knowledgable than me who may be able to give a difinitive answer as to loads. I make my own round ball out of pure lead, usually old water pipe or lead flashing and lube my patches with wonderlube so costs are not too bad. You cant beat the 6 foot flame and thud of a big bore black powder rifle. Recommended Fun. Tim

You cant beat the 6 foot flame and thud of a big bore black powder rifle. Recommended Fun. Tim
    oh thats sound like really good
    ballkeeper

I have one of the early Parker Hale musketoons and its possibly my favourite gun.

Great for 50m off hand shooting. Mine prefers the Lyman minie with the thicker skirt and around 55g powder.

Would recommend!

Steve

cheers steve it be great to see pic's of these guns

cant see my air guns staying once i get started lol
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    I have one of the early Parker Hale musketoons and its possibly my favourite gun.

Great for 50m off hand shooting. Mine prefers the Lyman minie with the thicker skirt and around 55g powder.

Would recommend!

Steve
    I, too, have an early Musketoon - #1361 - and shoot with exactly the same load as you do!

You can see it in action on youtube - tac's guns - Musketoon

Form many guests and noobs it is the very first time they have ever shot ANY BP gun and is insanely popular on guest days as a result.

I also get good results using 45gr of Pyrodex RS - and have used Alox as a lube since I got the gun, back in 1980 or so.

tac

very nice rifle there,was ya looking down the barrel ,tac
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 26-09-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    ballkeeper

I have a 3 band, use 50gr black with patch ball to 50m, 60gr with LEE REAL bullet to 100m,
    loads of fun and lots of bang and smoke,

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    I have a 3 band, use 50gr black with patch ball to 50m, 60gr with LEE REAL bullet to 100m,
    loads of fun and lots of bang and smoke,
    how long is the 3 band which one do you have tall
    ballkeeper

the barrel is 39" long and total length is 55",it is a bit of a fun to shoot,the load data says you can use
    120gr of black-powder with a mine bullet,for accurate shooting i use a 45cal Hawken,always wanted a 50 or 54cal Hawken,

the barrel is 39" long and total length is 55",it is a bit of a fun to shoot,the load data says you can use
    120gr of black-powder with a mine bullet,for accurate shooting i use a 45cal Hawken,always wanted a 50 or 54cal Hawken,
    120gr = bottle of bp dont last long eh, but sounds great fun tho
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by tdmrider View Post
    very nice rifle there,was ya looking down the barrel ,tac
    Just blowing down it to keep the fouling soft - after about five shots it needs a good scrape-out.

tac

A couple of Parker Hales on Gunstar at the moment, they seem a good price