Thread: How Long ?

How Long ?

How long is it going to take before my Mk 1 Lightning stops dieseling ?
    Molyed everything too much, so de- greased (too much, I could hear the piston/seal squeaking), so put 2 drops of oil into the cylinder.
    I've put about a 100 shots through it,but its still not grouping and its still smoking. It is grouping better but its still unacceptable.
    Any help please ?
    Thank You.

when I relube a gun, I just add moly grease onto the piston skirt and onto the spring guide, not too much just a light smear, and I also put a faint smear round the sides of the piston washer (not on top). I dont put oil in the transfer port. It should be settling down after 100 shots.

You put oil in the cylinder, and wonder why it's dieseling? The cylinder needs degreasing, treating with something like DriSlide. Some LT2 on the piston, and just a smear of SM 50 on the piston seal.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    You put oil in the cylinder, and wonder why it's dieseling? The cylinder needs degreasing, treating with something like DriSlide. Some LT2 on the piston, and just a smear of SM 50 on the piston seal.

Gus
    Yes, because it was so dry it had started squeaking !
    And I did not want to strip it down again, however it looks like I'm going to have to.
    I know why its Dieseling, I only asked how long it would take to stop.
    But thank you for your reply anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyh View Post
    How long is it going to take before my Mk 1 Lightning stops dieseling ?
    Molyed everything too much, so de- greased (too much, I could hear the piston/seal squeaking), so put 2 drops of oil into the cylinder.
    I've put about a 100 shots through it,but its still not grouping and its still smoking. It is grouping better but its still unacceptable.
    Any help please ?
    Thank You.
    i have stripped and relubed two rifles recently,i used bisley moly grease,there was a bit of dieseling for about thirty or so shots and thereafter none.i am no expert but a gunsmith recomended this grease, it worked for me even though i may have been a bit liberal with it.hope this helps?

Hi,

Get a tin of the cheapest pellets you can find, like Spitfires, & have a prolonged plinking session, it'll settle down.

Regards

Thanks to those last two posts.
    I'll re-strip,and re-grease,and then have a session at the tin cans.
    I've got a load of rubbish pellets to waste before I use my A.A. Field !