Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45/70 problems

45/70 problems

Got a bit of a problem with my new 45/70 Harrington and Richards trapdoor. Last week i shot about 50 rds of black powder and its a really nice rifle to use. Accurate with not too much recoil, just nice to use. Thought i would try a few nitro loads this week so made up 20 rds with 27grns of No7 and a 405grn hard cast hd using cci large rifle primers. This powder, primers, cases and hds are the same ones i used in my rolling block with good results. Ist shot no problem, 2nd shot no bang but the primer went off with enough force to push the bullet head half way down the barrel. Thought, bugger iv not put powder in. Nope, pushed the head out with a cleaning rod and the powder is in the barrel. Cleaned it all down and tried another round. Made a click-fizzzzzzzz-bang noise but it fired. Cleaned gun again and checked the cases etc, all looks well. When i got home i stripped the rounds i had left and fitted new primers and made up some loads using H4198 in case my pot of No7 has gone off. Tried them today and got the same results.
    Two different powders, same result, so not the powder. Primer has gone off as it pushed the head half way down the barrel. Fired brass and primer look normal and i cant find fault with the rifle so do primers go weak with age.? Same primers in my 303 and 7.62 loads and no problems. Cases 2/3rds full of powder and is a load from the Lee reloading manual plus iv shot hundreds of these rounds with no problems. Cases are clean and dry when loaded. To my reconing its got to be weak primers or damp/off powder but cant really blame either.
    Think i will stick to b/p loads. Tim

stick to B/P

diggle tomorrow 400 and 600 yards come and play with the big boys

richard
    reloading is not cheaper You just shoot more

Quote Originally Posted by rickosf View Post
    diggle tomorrow 400 and 600 yards come and play with the big boys

richard
    cheeky.

400 and 600 yds!!! Cant get the BL---Y thing to shoot 50 yds at the moment. Tim

good starting point

524-540 gr postel type bullet saeco or Paul johns (45001)

http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midwa...3-141414186BE3

http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45_caliber.htm

sized to 459 and lubed with bees wax and 100% pure neat foot oil (mix 1to1 by weight )

57grs swiss No4 black powder

Beer mat card over powder

richard
    reloading is not cheaper You just shoot more

I use the postell bullet for my b/p loads and its well worth the extra cost for this mould. I use pure lead and fill the lube grooves with wonderlube. Card wad on top of the powder and seated with a home made brass dowl so as to give a couple of mil compression. Lovely round, Tim

I have absolutely no problems with 30gns of H4198 and CCI primers.

If you are using a ball powder (eg Accurate 2520) as opposed to a stick type (eg Viht 140) you will have a problem getting the powder to burn.
    You could try magnum primers; a change of powder might be needed.

I get this problem of crap ignition in my 12.7 roller if I do not have sufficiant crimp to hold the bullet.

Tried both no7 and H4198 and had the same problem. Dissmantled the rounds and the primers seem to fire ok, nice sharp crack. Wondering as these cases have previously been used with black powder if the nitro has reacted somehow with any residue left in the case.

hi tim

hi tim i reload 45/7o with nitro i pack cases over powder with toilet tissue to keep powder down by flash hole for good ignition and even burn . If primers ignight ok they should set powder off i tend to think probs with powder can you try some off a shooting bud to discount this . also you dont need to crimp as richard557 said thats only for repeaters with tube mags and makes no difference to ignition hope this helps tim

Many Thanks to all for your coments and advice. Latest is; I dissmantled all the rounds i had left and fired off the primers in my rifle. All went off as they should. Powder again looked very dirty/dusty and stained my fingers black when handled which H4198 dosent normally do. When ignited with a match it fizzled and spluttered bit like a firework taking probably 4/5 seconds to burn a teaspoon full. With the same quantity of fresh clean powder,"both No7 and H4198" the burn took 3 seconds and no spitting and farting about so its looking more like contaminated powder than anything else. Will cean up some cases INSIDE and out and retry when time permits.
    Best Wishes, Tim

Crappy powder.

Burn it or put it on the flowers.

tac

Thanks to all for your comments and pm,s. Sorted and Yep it was crappy powder. Once the cases had been cleaned properly inside with scotch bright i reloaded a batch with 27grns H4198 and they fired well. Have used the same cases for b/p and nitro 45/70 loads for years with no problems but something left in the cases after b/p use wasnt cleaned by the tumbler and contaminated the powder. Lesson learnt.
    Think im going to stick to the black stuff from now on then there wont be a problem. Tim

glad you sorted it out tim as i know how frustrating it can be.
    blackpowder......bah humbug