Thread: 45/70 problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

45/70 problems

Got a bit of a problem with my new 45/70 Harrington and Richards trapdoor. Last week i shot about 50 rds of black powder and its a really nice rifle to use. Accurate with not too much recoil, just nice to use. Thought i would try a few nitro loads this week so made up 20 rds with 27grns of No7 and a 405grn hard cast hd using cci large rifle primers. This powder, primers, cases and hds are the same ones i used in my rolling block with good results. Ist shot no problem, 2nd shot no bang but the primer went off with enough force to push the bullet head half way down the barrel. Thought, bugger iv not put powder in. Nope, pushed the head out with a cleaning rod and the powder is in the barrel. Cleaned it all down and tried another round. Made a click-fizzzzzzzz-bang noise but it fired. Cleaned gun again and checked the cases etc, all looks well. When i got home i stripped the rounds i had left and fitted new primers and made up some loads using H4198 in case my pot of No7 has gone off. Tried them today and got the same results.
    Two different powders, same result, so not the powder. Primer has gone off as it pushed the head half way down the barrel. Fired brass and primer look normal and i cant find fault with the rifle so do primers go weak with age.? Same primers in my 303 and 7.62 loads and no problems. Cases 2/3rds full of powder and is a load from the Lee reloading manual plus iv shot hundreds of these rounds with no problems. Cases are clean and dry when loaded. To my reconing its got to be weak primers or damp/off powder but cant really blame either.
    Think i will stick to b/p loads. Tim

stick to B/P

diggle tomorrow 400 and 600 yards come and play with the big boys

richard
    reloading is not cheaper You just shoot more

Quote Originally Posted by rickosf View Post
    diggle tomorrow 400 and 600 yards come and play with the big boys

richard
    cheeky.

400 and 600 yds!!! Cant get the BL---Y thing to shoot 50 yds at the moment. Tim

good starting point

524-540 gr postel type bullet saeco or Paul johns (45001)

http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midwa...3-141414186BE3

http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45_caliber.htm

sized to 459 and lubed with bees wax and 100% pure neat foot oil (mix 1to1 by weight )

57grs swiss No4 black powder

Beer mat card over powder

richard
    reloading is not cheaper You just shoot more

I use the postell bullet for my b/p loads and its well worth the extra cost for this mould. I use pure lead and fill the lube grooves with wonderlube. Card wad on top of the powder and seated with a home made brass dowl so as to give a couple of mil compression. Lovely round, Tim