Thread: Original 75

Original 75

Whilst Shooting this morning ,I noticed a smoke coming from the port area as I went to reload and a smell of diesel previous to this.Since I have had the rifle I have used a tin of Gamo Match and now gone to a batch of RWS R10 .I have not cleaned anything on Rifle except for wiping over after use.
    Is it time for a service ?

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Whilst Shooting this morning ,I noticed a smoke coming from the port area as I went to reload and a smell of diesel previous to this.Since I have had the rifle I have used a tin of Gamo Match and now gone to a batch of RWS R10 .I have not cleaned anything on Rifle except for wiping over after use.
    Is it time for a service ?
    ...maybe - but if the rifle is still performing as it has been doing until now it may not need a service.

None of the Gist system rifles or pistols benefit from being taken apart if they are still performing well and giving the same sort of power that you have come to expect.

If the rifle is loosing power, and/or making a different sound then it should be looked at - but otherwise left well alone as there are no parts inside the rifle that need lubricating or servicing.

We have just stripped and rebuilt a Model 75 that had been left to rust and had not been used for several years. The pistons had changed to a red goo and when the rifle was shot it was very noisey and bits of the red piston were spat out of the cylinder and into the barrel and loading chamber - so we immeadiately stopped shooting it and took it apart to clean out all the solidified goo and replace the pistons etc.

The smoke and deisel smell you experienced could be the lubricant on the pellets - not unknown with any of the RWS pellets from time to time ( but more usual on the GECO to be honest) - but if you think the rifle is noisy compared to normal and has lost its performance ( pellet speed) then it would be a good idea not to shoot it again untill you have got a second opinion from an experienced Giss expert or been able to compare it with another Model 75 for sound and power.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thank-you

Thanks Zooma
    I will put a few through the 75 tomorrow and see what happens
    Phil

Put a 30 through the 75 last night and out of those had about 4 which dropped at least 2 inches to the right .With these as I opened the loading port smoke and vapour was present.
    So I think I will get this looked at .

Sorry your Model 75 is still causing you some concern - keep us posted when you find the cause ( and remedy) as a lot of us are using this very popular rifle and can all learn from each others experience.

ATB - Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.