Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Air rifle is best for a beginner?

I've owned various HWs and a TX200 II and TX200 HC. I'd go for a TX any day. Better guns all round than the HWs IMHO.

I'd personally go for .22, because the gun operates under lower load (as it is more efficient) so you get a smoother cycle with less jump. Also a touch easier to cock.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Mcavoys is in Standish, 20 minutes away in the car and with a lot more variety than the more local shops. Branthwaites is closer to you and is also a good shop but without the variety of Mcavoys.

Nick, of course your correct, the rifle that fits is the rifle to choose, for me this happens to be the TX200 (and its prettier as well!).
    Ive just googled it...cheers. (Im sorry to say i do go for aesthetics)

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I've owned various HWs and a TX200 II and TX200 HC. I'd go for a TX any day. Better guns all round than the HWs IMHO.

I'd personally go for .22, because the gun operates under lower load (as it is more efficient) so you get a smoother cycle with less jump. Also a touch easier to cock.
    Thanks..I didnt know that about 22's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I don't really agree with this. As an owner of both I find the HW and AA underlever rifles very similar in handling. 'Out of the mythical box' the AA is slightly smoother but the HW responds very well to a small amount of tuning work.
    My advice to the OP is pretty simple. Buy one that suits you that comes up first at the price that suits you. Try as many rifles as you can. If you do this I would be staggered if you ended up buying a BSA Lightning as they are not in the same class as either HW or AA spring rifles.
    Going further, if you expect to spend more time 'in the field' then a break barrel such as the HW95/98/80 is my choice. If you expect to do more target shooting then go for the HW97K or the AA TX200 as most shooters find the underlever adds stability in the 'hold' over the break barrel design.
    Thanks for this....BSA off the list as per your comment and the fact that nobody else has mentioned a BSA!

Yes, don't bother with a BSA springer. Not even close to a HW/TX.

I've also owned a Venom HW80 Lazaglide which was a beauty and so smooth.

FWIW, the standard TX200 was the most stable gun on aim of any I have used. The HC version is shorter and lighter and the lack of muzzle weight makes it a little less rock solid standing. With the TX guns the stock is a little deeper in the fore end than the HWs, unless the 97 has a deeper stock than I remember, which means much better handling when shooting off your knee with a padded glove. This is how I shoot when using hides (with backrest) and so I found the TX200 nicer to shoot in this way than the HW80 Lazaglide. It just sat at the right elevation because the base of the stock is pretty well level with the bottom of the trigger guard.

Its a shame Air Arms do not make TX200s in .20, as with 11.5grain H&N FTT you'd really have the perfect hunting springer! I love the calibre.

The other option might be a used Theoben Gas Ram. Again, I'd avoid .177 in such guns and stick to .22, .20 because they operate under lower load and shoot with less 'snap'. I once had a scirocco 2000 in .177. Whilst deadly accurate, it really did have very snappy (but quick) recoil and just felt harsh. I believe they no longer make the ultra carbines in .177 for this reason, but might be mistaken.

FWIW, the standard TX200 was the most stable gun on aim of any I have used. The HC version is shorter and lighter and the lack of muzzle weight makes it a little less rock solid standing. With the TX guns the stock is a little deeper in the fore end than the HWs, unless the 97 has a deeper stock than I remember, which means much better handling when shooting off your knee with a padded glove. This is how I shoot when using hides (with backrest) and so I found the TX200 nicer to shoot in this way than the HW80 Lazaglide. It just sat at the right elevation because the base of the stock is pretty well level with the bottom of the trigger guard.

Its a shame Air Arms do not make TX200s in .20, as with 11.5grain H&N FTT you'd really have the perfect hunting springer! I love the calibre.

The other option might be a used Theoben Gas Ram. Again, I'd avoid .177 in such guns and stick to .22, .20 because they operate under lower load and shoot with less 'snap'. I once had a scirocco 2000 in .177. Whilst deadly accurate, it really did have very snappy (but quick) recoil and just felt harsh. I believe they no longer make the ultra carbines in .177 for this reason, but might be mistaken.
    Cheers...providing I like it when I try it...the TX200 (22) is the one for me....excellent advice...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrenw View Post
    Cheers...providing I like it when I try it...the TX200 (22) is the one for me....excellent advice...thanks.
    You may find .177 a better option for target shooting though.

A few points here. I agree that .20 is the ideal compromise calibre in legal limit and that it is a pity that AA don't seem to want to bother with .20 but then again they don't actually want to bother very much with left handers either. Unless they get round to offering a Pro Sport in full left hand I shall continue to make this point on every occasion where it is relevant to the debate.
    I am unaware that the Evolution Ultra carbine-formerly known as the Fenman- from Theoben isn't offered in .177. I certainly have owned several Fenmen in .177 with both 10" and 7.5" barrels. You are right that they can be just TOO snappy especially those with the 7.5" barrels as well as being hard to cock. However my experience shows that reducing the power to around 11 ft lb transforms the accuracy and handling whilst making only a tiny reduction in terminal energy and hunting effectiveness. Most I have tested turn out to have over-pressured gasrams and that probably accounts for most of the negative comments around this fine rifle. However in my view the .20 Fenman is a worthy contender for the title of 'best self contained general purpose legal limit' air rifle on the market today. It really is THAT good.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Thank you Turtle....great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    A few points here. I agree that .20 is the ideal compromise calibre in legal limit and that it is a pity that AA don't seem to want to bother with .20 but then again they don't actually want to bother very much with left handers either. Unless they get round to offering a Pro Sport in full left hand I shall continue to make this point on every occasion where it is relevant to the debate.
    I am unaware that the Evolution Ultra carbine-formerly known as the Fenman- from Theoben isn't offered in .177. I certainly have owned several Fenmen in .177 with both 10" and 7.5" barrels. You are right that they can be just TOO snappy especially those with the 7.5" barrels as well as being hard to cock. However my experience shows that reducing the power to around 11 ft lb transforms the accuracy and handling whilst making only a tiny reduction in terminal energy and hunting effectiveness. Most I have tested turn out to have over-pressured gasrams and that probably accounts for most of the negative comments around this fine rifle. However in my view the .20 Fenman is a worthy contender for the title of 'best self contained general purpose legal limit' air rifle on the market today. It really is THAT good.
    Thanks Rapidnick.....more excellent advice, and another one for the try list!!