Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW 45 Silver Star

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    You may well be right Bob i`ll keep on persevering,on another note i have got a deal for a bench rest stock for my P70, so just need a front and a rear rest. I`m not sure, because i will be shooting scoring bench rest as opposed to group shooting bench rest, what type of front rest i`ll need. Oh ! has your unit got 25yds of free space ? atb Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    Oh ! has your unit got 25yds of free space ? atb Gordon.
    We might be OK with that - can I have a go as well?

We could practise knocking over those rotton old HW45 pistols to start with
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    We might be OK with that - can I have a go as well?

We could practise knocking over those rotton old HW45 pistols to start with
    Your on, you can have a go with pleasure, i`ll let you know when the rifle is set up .

Hw45

Merry Xmas guys. I noticed this post regarding your problems with the 45 and not in the least bit suprised by your good performance with the venerable old Center.
    My old one back in the middle 80s was very accurate and very underrated, with only one review and a loose mention by Rod Lynton to its name.
    It had the sight base of a giant Match pistol, fair trigger, low spring power and permanently aligned barrel not enjoyed by break barrel Scorpions or HW70s of the same time.
    However, the HW45 should be cleaned out and run completely dry. Ive had a couple for 20 years or so. The piston/spring ratio is perfectly set up for dieseling and may have been designed as such to Deliver Beemans requested 600fps. Clean it and run it dry with a Nylon 66 guide rod. Forget placing the existing steel spring guide down inside the piston (as intended for an extra 20fps) you do not need the 20fps and you certainly do not need the extra thump from kinetic inertia. Put it in the other way around and order a synthetic guide, or machine one up. I attempted to button the piston for complete dry running purposes but there is not enough wall depth like rifles
    Run it dry.. mine has not worn out in the 5 years i have been running it dry and it does not diesel.
    The guide rod does tend to start scoring up without lube hence the Nylon guide. The piston appears too hard to score the same way.

Personally i find my tweaked 75 a lot better though.

Thanks for that Clarky - certainly worth having a go I think.

........but then again - if it works - what are we going to pick on next ?

We have really enjoyed rubbishing the HW45's poor accuracy and consistency

ps - where did you get the Nylon 66 guide rod and synthetic guide?

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

........but then again - if it works - what are we going to pick on next ?

Webley pistols !!!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

You can get one machined up by TR Robb to speacial order.
    I machined my own but Proteks use to supply them, giving me the idea. Also TR Robb will machine custom guides for around £25.
    Your biggest problem is stripping and rebuilding without damaging the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Webley pistols !!!

ATB
    Ian
    Too easy - far too easy - no credibility in that whatsoever!

That would be a bit like shooting fish in a barrel...come to think about it, maybe that would still be a challenge with a Webley.

Maybe we should get the Rivvy Elite shooters on Webleys - that would stop them grinning like hyena's

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    You can get one machined up by TR Robb to speacial order.
    I machined my own but Proteks use to supply them, giving me the idea. Also TR Robb will machine custom guides for around £25.
    Your biggest problem is stripping and rebuilding without damaging the finish.
    Who He?

The Webley Pistol (all variants) has always been something of a mystery to me in regard of improving. I first noticed i always pulled slightly off target by trying to manipulate the 4lb trigger. The trigger of a pistol must really be no more than 1.5lbs to be able to get full control. You can get away with a couple of lbs more in a rifle due to the 3 holding points but not with a pistol. So after considerable effort, i did manage to modify an early Tempest version down to 2lbs then added a shoe to help spread the load. The thing still not bloody accurate though.
    I think in the end, i decided there were several factor, like short sight base with simple sights etc giving their own problems. My best guess is that rear moving pistons are less friendly than first assumed. This also seems to be true with the 45 to a lesser extent.
    If we consider its perfect sights, trigger and decent site base length, we must consider the rear moving piston aspect as being suspect. Limiting the shock of this does seem to have brought about some improvement in mine,