Thread: Baikal Makarov, the result of an enquiry

Baikal Makarov, the result of an enquiry

I was searching and posting on other forums on the subject of using Baikal Makarov for IPAS, and about the mod/upgrade with a longer barrel. This is info collected on Baikal Makarov so far:

No responses about its usefulness for IPAS.

No responses about an IPAS holster.

New models cope better with Gamo lead balls, the trick is to start the load (First in last out) with a steel BB. Reason: CO2 on firing sends a shock wave down the magazine and lead balls deform starting with the last. H&N lead 4.4mm balls OK for old and new versions.

Tighter grouping with Gamo balls than with steel BBs of H&N lead 4.4mm. Another test (different Baikal gun but similar barrel) shows a smooth bore prototype barrel is more accurate than rifled one with steel BBs.

I understand from posts that there are several versions of Baikal Makarov, and for collectors the year of production is the issue. All models are done in steel. All models have inner parts interchangeable with the 9mm original, but for the hammer which needs modding. Apparently original 9mm parts are of superior quality and finish. Very early models might had used the same parts, not for some time now. When buying new some reported getting old stock versions ( but not old enough to contain genuine 9mm parts) that would not accept Gamo balls.

For the shooters, more important is the valve power, it looks like the EU imports, white or grey, have 1.8J while those ordered from rusmilitary.com claim to be true 3J.

But rusmilitary.com offers specification of 90m/s and that calculates as only 1.4J with a typical steel BB of 0.35g. Full declared valve power of 3J should produce 130m/s or 430ft/s. All very confusing. As with cordless drills, and hammer SDS drills, they all lie about the power.

Taking apart and polishing is easy. Magazine design is such as to waste CO2 into shocking the balls, there are no mods for that.

Some reported successful valve mods for more power, but some reported destroying their valves in process.

Barrel is rifled, causing CO2 to leak in front of the BB slowing it down. Gamo balls grip the rifling, but are of poor quality, misshapen and of various diameters. H&N balls are copper-plated and 4.4mm, they do not grip the rifling and behave like steel BBs.

There are longer barrels of other Baikal guns that would fit Makarov with little mods, but all are rifled.

The question remains, how accurate Baikal Makarov actually is?

Are there any chrono readings?

Ayosha

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The valve volume is too small and the barrel too short to make the Mak a good candidate for easily tuning for decent power.
    I've not seen many bb guns that were a promising IPAS gun, the Mak isn't one of them ;-)
    It is what it is, love it for that

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Smile

I just could not resist.
    Waiting for delivery now.
    Ayosha

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting one of these as I have been offered a 1997 Gen1? pistol.

My question is can I it to 3Joules? is it just a new magazine? Can I retro fit a new valve to the old mag?

Cheers

You can change the valve very easily, most seem to be 3 joules already but there are upgrade kits out there (on egun for instance and RusMilitary sell 3 joule vales as well)

I have replaced breech seal http://instagr.am/p/Jo-75gEQrL/

And valve, here's a pic of the old and new valve side by side

http://instagr.am/p/Rr7SZhEQr0/

Accuracy has improved in my opinion, this shows on left 1st 20 shots single action all in one, 2 flyers in DA, on right is next 40 shots, again single hole with 2 flyers (again when I tried DA).
    http://instagr.am/p/RvDk9nkQi0/

It is notably louder and I shall use ear plugs next time.

I still got 60 good shots, then a drop and one stuck in mag at the end.

I cronoed it, using 8.2gr Gamo lead BB, it fired at 492FPS (150Mps) at 4.41FtLbs, up from the published up to 360Fps (110Mps).

Not sure if I will fit the improved chamber as well as this has upped power to a level where accuracy is improved and gas consumption doesn't seem affected.
    http://instagr.am/p/RcSmXmEQgt/