Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of selling my collection...

Thinking of selling my collection...

PLEEZE TALK ME OUT OF IT!!

I've been fancying a nice classic sports car and i'm toying with the idea of selling up my airgun collection to fund a purchase...

I bought an MG Midget a few years ago off fleabay that needed some welding at the bottoms of the panels (in really good condition otherwise) but after a fall at work and general health problems, I don't think i'll ever get it finished..

I always wanted an MGB GT until I saw two absolutely stunning red early Midgets cruising down our road!!

I'm torn between selling up to buy a car and just making do with my ten year old Honda Civic that's boringly reliable!!

Can anyone offer comments on why I should/ shouldn't take this course of action please??

John...

PS I have a large collection of watches that I could fleabay as an alternative.

for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

sell the watches and keep one for your wrist

shocked

Never did i think i should here such thoughts expressed,feeling poorly,banged your head,flog the watches if you must,but your gun collection, don't be silly, DON'T DO IT.

Add up the value of your collections and then take 20% off. Does it get what you need for the car or will you still be way too short. Vintage cars come in two forms: cheap but need so much work that it never gets done; or has all the work done but goes for a premium price and even then there is more money to be thrown at it. Vintage or classics cars are like boats: they cost money even when not used.

I've satisfied my air rifle collection to about ten with four pistols. I shoot 1/2 of them regularly. My classic car is stored for when I have 4k to get it spot on and MOT'ed again, plus road tax and insurance (1991 Oak Green Golf 16V GTi). Thats more than the cars probably worth and it has too hard a ride and is too minty for everyday use. Has to be cleaned and polished regularly which eventually becomes a chore. At least air rifles aren't big money which all vintage cars are, and swopping and changing them isn't expensive.

The real way to enjoy cars is to have pots of dosh so the bills don't matter. Pots of dosh too to change them for something else when you get bored with it. Lovely idea but reality and money gets in the way. Put it like this for new set of tires you could buy a stripy wood, Venum tuned, beauty.

Collection

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    PLEEZE TALK ME OUT OF IT!!

I've been fancying a nice classic sports car and i'm toying with the idea of selling up my airgun collection to fund a purchase...

I bought an MG Midget a few years ago off fleabay that needed some welding at the bottoms of the panels (in really good condition otherwise) but after a fall at work and general health problems, I don't think i'll ever get it finished..

I always wanted an MGB GT until I saw two absolutely stunning red early Midgets cruising down our road!!

I'm torn between selling up to buy a car and just making do with my ten year old Honda Civic that's boringly reliable!!

Can anyone offer comments on why I should/ shouldn't take this course of action please??

John...

PS I have a large collection of watches that I could fleabay as an alternative.

I think you're absolutely right to think about selling.Collecting airguns is a complete waste of time and money.Once you start you never stop.Give it up now before it becomes an obsession.
    How much do you want for the BSA Standard?
    Pete.

Hello John,
    It’s a funny thing: you saying this…
    Four years ago, I lived in Chester. I moved to Aberdeen but never settled. Not my best life’s decision.
    I have sold my house, quite quickly and with a profit, and am moving back to Chester next month.
    Moving guns is a pain. Storing them even more so.
    I have forty odd rifle and about twenty pistols.
    The weight ……?

I have genuinely been thinking of selling my collection.
    The only thing that’s putting me off from doing it is the postage.
    I suppose you could sell on collection only ??

I have an Austin Healey, which I seldom use also.
    So maybe the car isn’t the excuse ..

As someone once said to me “when they are gone , they are gone forever "

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

Sam

All cars depreciate, even old ones.
    DO NOT DO IT John, you will regret it. You can hire a classic car for a few days to quench your thirst for adventure, and no ongoing overheads.
    Pete.

Hang on John its only a couple of weeks ago you told me you would never sell your collection.I bet you would regret it defo so give it some serious thought,
    I have see your watch collection on flickr....seiko watches n that all real nice if I recall.

For some of us its in our blood or psyche to collect

All them lovely bsa's come on lad they are very happy where they are it's not worth it mate your far off better keeping them

if you like open tops get something like a cheap MX5 and keep your guns,Best of both worlds.

Dont sell Your guns and dont buy an old car.I had a Triumph Spitfire and sold it on. You have to wind windows up and down by hand no power steering,rock hard suspension,old technology. Please dont do it!!!Its easy to be seduced when You see an old car at a show or where ever but owning one becomes a bind.Im happy to admire other peoples and let them have the ownership hassles

Thanks lads!!

I think Brian has the answer- get an MX5, I know they go cheaply and I would probably get enough wonga by selling a load of my watches!!

I'd forgotten about the MX5 but when I got the midget, it was a toss up between a Midget and an MX5!!!

I do get these silly ideas occasionally, probably due to having no where to shoot my guns!..
    The last time I shot in my own back garden the damned police helicopter turned up!!, I reckon someone phoned the police so they headed over here and made a beeline to my house then hovvered overhead for a while before flying off

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

[Beat me to it].

Buy an MX5! Sell the watches and buy an MX5. There is some great bargains available and spares (IF needed) are cheap and plentiful.

I bought mine in 2000 - a 1990 Eunos. Its been 100% reliable apart from one time when both headlamps failed leaving the gun club one night - recovery home and £15 + an hours work for me, in daylight, the following morning.
    She still scrubs up well http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rent=MX59f.jpg even after spending the last 12 years outdoors in all weathers.

If you fancy something a little more unusual how about a Suzuki Cappuccino - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=Topless4.jpg Even smaller than the MX5 and eats it in acceleration to 60 and round the curves.

I had an MG Midget, rubber bumper model, and I was forever under the bonnet sorting/balancing the carbs., adjusting the brakes (I dont know why, they hardly worked) and fighting rust.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    [Beat me to it].

Buy an MX5! Sell the watches and buy an MX5. There is some great bargains available and spares (IF needed) are cheap and plentiful.

I bought mine in 2000 - a 1990 Eunos. Its been 100% reliable apart from one time when both headlamps failed leaving the gun club one night - recovery home and £15 + an hours work for me, in daylight, the following morning.
    She still scrubs up well http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rent=MX59f.jpg even after spending the last 12 years outdoors in all weathers.

If you fancy something a little more unusual how about a Suzuki Cappuccino - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=Topless4.jpg Even smaller than the MX5 and eats it in acceleration to 60 and round the curves.

I had an MG Midget, rubber bumper model, and I was forever under the bonnet sorting/balancing the carbs., adjusting the brakes (I dont know why, they hardly worked) and fighting rust.

HTH
    Ian
    Not only that Ian IF you sold YOUR collection it would mess up the economy of the western world

Noooooooo

Don't even think about selling up just for a car !... If you have to go down that road, sell the watches and your MK 1