Thread: HW45 - cylinder retaining Alen screw won't shift

HW45 - cylinder retaining Alen screw won't shift

Hi

I bought a second hand .22 HW45 a couple of years ago and it has always sent out a light spay of oil when fired but it has been reasonably accurate so I let it be. Recently it has got worse and accuracy is suffering so time for a strip, clean up and re-lube.

Got the top barrel section off ok - then tried to undo the 2.5mm alen key bolt which retains the cylinder at the muzzle end. Got a good fitting key but have tried till the long arm of key starts bending but the bolt won't shift. I am worried that if I turn it too hard the hex in the bolt will strip then no way to get it out?

Has anyone have a solution to this problem - would some heat from a hot air gun be ok to try?

Regards
    Zyg

Hot air will make it expand if anything, it's normally good to use a paint stripping heat gun for unscrewing bolts etc that have been loctited in place, but it might be worth a go. As for the use of loctite on the screw you're trying to remove I'm not sure, maybe someone will advise shortly. It's not going to do any harm though tbh, just be careful

Allen bolt now undone

Thanks for your response Scotttomo - I gave the Black & Decker hot air gun a try this morning. Needed a couple of goes plus one cheap hex key twisted but a better quality one with the help of a pair of pliers did the job.

now to finish the strip - clean up & re-lube.

Regards
    Zyg

Quote Originally Posted by Zyggy View Post
    Thanks for your response Scotttomo - I gave the Black & Decker hot air gun a try this morning. Needed a couple of goes plus one cheap hex key twisted but a better quality one with the help of a pair of pliers did the job.

now to finish the strip - clean up & re-lube.

Regards
    Zyg
    Weirauch definately didn't want That one undone, did they?

They are loctited some more so than others. Also newer bolts have locking teeth in them making them even harder to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets Bueller View Post
    They are loctited some more so than others. Also newer bolts have locking teeth in them making them even harder to remove.
    You got it - this one had the locking teeth AND someone had put some locktite on the threads so I'me really glad it shifted. Got the piston out and there was far too much lube in the cylinder. Piston washer looks in pretty good nick so will give it a good clean up and relube tomorrow and see how it performs.

regards
    Zyg

Keep us posted mate.

Job Done

Hi

HW45 - back in one piece - re-lubed sparingly - no bits left over.

Gave it a few shots then tested and got an average 5.2ft/lb with AA field. Still a little bit of smoke but much less than before. If it doesn't settle down I may strip again and fit a new piston seal - but from what I read about the 45's they do seem to be prone to this.

Thanks for your interest and advice.

Regards
    Zyg

i had the same problem with my silver star few years back i ened up using a soldering iron to heat up and then got it out pain in the bum hopefully the one i pick up on saterday wont have the same problem.