Thread: Air Arms ProSport .177

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I had an AA Pro Sport. It looked very nice with its walnut stock, but it was really hard to cock. The undelever would not fully return to its recessed position.
    I also found it very hold sensitive. Also had a TX200 HC...a great gun imho much better than the overated, unreliable pro sport, with its flawed, weak cocking unit.
    Strange how you never see any older pro sports for sale, even though they must have been around for some 16 years. They simply dont last like a TX200 or HW rifle

I could not disagree more, I have a Prosport and a HW97kt, as well as a HW100, BSAr10 mk2 and an Air Arms s510tc, and I've got a tx200hc en route for Xmas from the mrs :-) my review was not a bias review from a Prosport 1 gun owner.
    I'm not suggesting you're wrong in respect of your own experiences but the reason you don't see many 2nd hand prosports around is for the exact opposite! People tend to keep hold of them.
    I don't find mine hold sensitive in the slightest, no where near as hold sensitive as my weirauch (97).
    You must have been quite unlucky to be honest but then I've had similar issues with my HW97 despite the overall consensus that they're one of the best out there, mine shoots lovely now but I've had a rocky start with her, now she's tuned and I've found the right pellets a cracking rifle...but not a patch on the Prosport ;-) I've just furnished her with a new hand made stock from Andrea Gentilini (ginb) :-)
    Too many guns to list...always room for one more :-)

Just a quick vid (slide show) of the new stock.

Too many guns to list...always room for one more :-)

Ive had my .22 pro sport since 1998 never touched it apart from a wipe down after ive used it. its one of the only air rifles I own that I can pick up and it shoots straight right from the first shoot somtimes I need to give the scope a couple of clicks but this can be after 4 mounths without shooting it so nothing but praise from me I hope airarms keep up the standard we dont need anyone eles going down the pan .good review by the way.

I have a tx200 HC in 177 with a Rowan brass trigger guard. I couldnt resist the looks of the prosport however and got one in walnut. This gun deserved something special so this is on its way from Gnib:

Will post pics of the gun with this on once it arrives, Initial thoughts are that the PS shoots really nicely and very similar to the TX200, but cocking is rather more awkward, the price you pay for looks I guess!!

Both are really great guns and although I have a number of decent PCPs the springers always bring a smile on when shooting...
    Air arms HFT500, Prosport,
    WH100SK Daystate Griffin

Ive got a .177 prosport and just can't get on with it. It's beautifully made and lovely to shoot so a credit to air arms but I just can't get on with it for some reason. Do I sell up or keep persevering? Is the main question lol

[QUOTE= Do I sell up or keep persevering? Is the main question lol[/QUOTE]

Keep persevering, I had the same problem then for some reason it just clicked..
    Basc member

*** Looking for a Diana 54/52 ***

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon sniper View Post
    Ive got a .177 prosport and just can't get on with it. It's beautifully made and lovely to shoot so a credit to air arms but I just can't get on with it for some reason. Do I sell up or keep persevering? Is the main question lol

Almost certainly the stock doesn't suit your shooting style so you need another stock that fixes your head in position relative to the scope and bore better than your present stock.
    The PS IS a fantastic 'out of the box' air rifle for a right handed shooter -or for a left handed shooter who never intends to use a shooting glove and is prepared to buy another stock. I found my PS with a right handed loading port but a left handed special stock really smooth to shoot and not hold sensitive at all. It was as accurate in my hands as any rifle I have owned before or since and prettier than all of them! The only rifle that betters it in the smoothness stakes is a full lazaglided (V Glided) HW77/97 or an Ultraglided TX200. Nothing else really comes close except perhaps a Theoben Fenman/Evolution if you can get on with the firing cycle of gas rams. The Walther LGV might be its equal but the jury is out on that one!!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

very very nice rifle there mate, congrats, wish i could afford one as there awesome to shoot and deadly accurate

cheers

D

Hi Chaps

Been away from air rifle shooting for a while, and I broke my old pro sport (threaded the screw into the piston from the cocking lever) about 4 or 5 years ago. Never got round to fixing it, got involved with other pusrsuits.

A friend of mine has a fellow who has hunting permission near by, and gave my an invite to go out with them sometime, so got me thinking about getting it fixed.

And to the meat and bones why I am posting.

Pulled the old boy out the cupboard, wiped of the dust, still gleaming and beautiful it is. Fixed the screw issue. and fired a few shots off through the chrono.

Now I'm thinking, 4 to 5 years in a cupboard, with no take down or relube, its going to be sub par..... shock for me.

796 fps +/- 5 fps with JSB Exacts .177 - if ya cant be bothered with the sums, baw hair under the 12 ft/lbs and reasonablly consistant.

Now thats quality engineering for ya

Only downside is now, that i need to wait a few days for a new scope mount to arrive, scope is sitting with bloody weaver mounts on it from use on an air soft sniper gun, and ive lost me old dovetail ones....doh. Cant wait to get this bad boy back in action