Thread: Air Arms ProSport .177

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wink Air Arms ProSport .177

Hello everyone, this is my first post on here as I'm new to the forum.
    Now I don't usually do reviews, a) because I'm lazy, and b) because I'd rather be out shooting than sat on a computer ;-)
    That said I thought I'd do a review on this particular rifle as I was blown away with this rifle.

I've been shooting since I was a young lad, my first air rifle (that I remember) was a HW77 which I remember being unbelievably heavy...

Now I stopped shooting for a number of years due to lots of reasons but mainly being too busy with work, but in the last 3 years I have not stopped :-)

I have been using 2 main rifles, a HW100kt .177 and a BSA R10 Mkii .177 with great success however, if you've grown up with springers there's always something missing when using PCP's. Now don't get me wrong, I love both my main rifles, but there's something honest and humbling about spring piston air rifles.

I also use a HW97K in .22 which is currently being tuned but wanted another decent springer in .177. I went to my local gunshop in Chichester and enquired about ordering an Air Arms ProSport.
    As fate would have it, someone had just traded that exact rifle in that day, it hadn't even been priced.
    Obviously I jumped at the chance to buy this as I was about to order a brand new one.
    This particular example was in excellent condition despite being well used over the last 5 years (2007), some very light wear but very minor, consistently putting out 11.5ft lbs and looked sexy as hell with the dark walnut oiled stock.
    I took it straight out to my outside 60yrd range and began to have a play around (after I chucked a 3-9x40 hawke mildot scope on her).

I was amazed at the smooth cocking action and reassuring crunch of excellent engineering, the precise thud and finally the well placed shots delivered from this beautiful rifle.

Shot after satisfying shot, I placed pellet after pellet in half inch groups at 35 yards. Despite the conditions not being great (breezy), I really got the sense I could confidently know where the shot was going.

Now I really enjoy shooting springers and particularly a good stalk with one, this rifle will remain in my collection for years to come i'm sure, deadly accurate, beautiful craftsmanship, and superb consistency.
    I think every airgunner should own a springer and learn to shoot well with it and I have to say that the Air Arms ProSport HAS to be a serious consideration.

Pro Sport it is !

I think that you've made an excellent choice for a springer. I've had one, which by the way is also walnut and .177 cal. , for a little over two years. Since I have not shot it over a chronograph, I'm guessing that mine is shooting around 12 ft. / lbs. I've not done much to mine besides disassemble it, clean out the factory lubes, and re-lube it. It shoots great with no vibration at all.
    I believe that the Pro Sport is at the pinnacle of spring piston air rifles, with the design, looks, quality, and performance. I will keep mine too. In fact, I would also like to get one in .22 cal.
    God Bless,
    Scott

Fantastic!

I took her out earlier this evening, only for half hour...just thought I'd try my luck.
    I stalked upon a burrow under a row of huge conifers, just out the back of the house in the meadow...it was getting pretty dark but just made out the silhouette of a bunny, sitting upright right on top of the bank,40 yards, took a knee, clinical headshot...one bunny for the pot :-) what struck me most was the follow through..my cross hair was exactly where I left it and the smooth cycle left a smile on my face, this is an amazing rifle and it's renewed my faith even further in the pureism of springers, I can't recommend this enough.

air arm prosport

Your so so right about springers. I am 46, have owned a lot of guns. i currently shoot a full length Air Arms s400 which i have cleaned, polished, all the internals and trigger etc. I must be lucky and have a good one, because this thing is clinical in its shot placement, and i mean clinical when its in the sweetspot. But like you, i was brought up on springers, and would love to get a prosport .177 as im afraid i have become a brand snob, and will stay with Air Arms rifles. Happy shooting, mark

Nowt wrong with Air Arms Mark, they're actually on my doorstep in Sussex :-) that said, I do really like the Hw97 although mine developed accuracy issues after a couple of thousand rounds, it's currently being tuned by a chap at my local range. Quite strange really as I'm starting to hear more often that the stock spring is not great, some folks have said possible quality control issues??? None of that with the Air Arms Prosport ;-) it'll be interesting to do a detailed comparison between the 2 rifles when I pick her up Friday...

Ref Prosport and tuning of HW97k

Hi if your friends tuning does not improve your HW97 get a Vmach Kit I had one in mine and it transforms the rifle and should at least match your prosport. My 97k was .22 I have just part exchanged it 3 days ago to help fund a BSA r10 mk2 VC and I am missing it already
    mk2 rapid.22

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Tullja View Post
    I think that you've made an excellent choice for a springer. I've had one, which by the way is also walnut and .177 cal. , for a little over two years. Since I have not shot it over a chronograph, I'm guessing that mine is shooting around 12 ft. / lbs. I've not done much to mine besides disassemble it, clean out the factory lubes, and re-lube it. It shoots great with no vibration at all.
    I believe that the Pro Sport is at the pinnacle of spring piston air rifles, with the design, looks, quality, and performance. I will keep mine too. In fact, I would also like to get one in .22 cal.
    God Bless,
    Scott
    What he said. The TX might be more user-friendly and the Weihrauchs a bit easier for those of you who like the 20th century, but the ProSport is the ne plus ultra of springer rifles. It might take a little getting used to but it is the best full-power springer air-rifle bar none.

I've recently picked up a brand new one in .22, having had one in .177 for a few years. Great as the .177 is, I was blown away by how smooth and how little recoil the .22 shot with from the off, straight from the box. It is so easy to shoot accurately, and topped with a little WTC handles beautifully.....

johnny k is offline Models mankinis for Ann Summers.

I too have joined the club

Just ordered a pro sport in .177. Looking forward to it. Been a while since I have had a sub 12 ft/lb gun. Should be interesting.
    Chinese springer 0.22, HW100 .177. Selection of powder burners
    When there were extra pies to eat, I avoided them.

mmm well shot mine today and put 5 pellets through a 5mm max hole at 25 yards. The group was away from the bull and I felt I had pulled the shots but I doubt I could pull each shot that well! Got on much better with the underlever and really this gun is very much a keeper. I also have a tx200 hc, theres little to choose between them but the prosport is just such a good looking gun.......
    Air arms HFT500, Prosport,
    WH100SK Daystate Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    What he said. The TX might be more user-friendly and the Weihrauchs a bit easier for those of you who like the 20th century, but the ProSport is the ne plus ultra of springer rifles. It might take a little getting used to but it is the best full-power springer air-rifle bar none.

Not if you are a left hander it isn't! I agree the PS is an excellent rifle and possibly the prettiest on the market. I don't find it particularly hold sensitive but because of the siting of the loading port on the right it cannot be used by a left handed shooter with a glove. Also the fact that AA don't even offer the rifle with left handed stocks doesn't endear that company to the likes of me. OK in the real world that probably doesn't matter that much but for a left handed competitive shooter the PS isn't an option even with a left handed after market stock fitted.
    That in my book removes it automatically from any list of 'best rifle.'
    I have owned and shot virtually every quality springer on the market. My current 'fave' is my HW97K with full V Glide fitted in a Ginb target stock. I know I offered it for sale recently but saw the light and withdrew the sale before I lived to regret it. The one rifle I aspire to own is the Venom Mamba which to my eyes IS the prettiest springer on the market.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Didn't think about that rapidnick but good point! I can imagine how impossible to use the PS would be for a lefty :-)
    Do you guys pay a slight premium for left handed rifles? (Well, stocks).
    When I get my Tx200hc off the missus for Xmas I'm going to do a detailed video review/comparison of the Tx200, Prosport, tuned 97k and another of the BSA R10 Mkii, Hw100KT and the AA S510tc.

I want to test range, accuracy and performance in the feild as well as fit and finish.
    Ill post it once its done.
    Last edited by Dansolo; 04-12-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    Too many guns to list...always room for one more :-)