Thread: AA Sidelever pin help

AA Sidelever pin help

Dear All

I am currently restoring a couple of AA / Jackal sidelever springers and have hit a problem.

Several pivot pins for the trigger assembly are missing from both guns

AA can supply the fatter pins but the thinner pins which are used in more locations are not available - or from Chambers

The pins are blued hardened steel pins 3mm diameter and about 14mm long with a flat head 1mm thick and 5mm diameter at one end and with a circlip groove to take a 2.3mm diameter-fit E-clip at the other end 1mm in from the end.

I thought these would be easy to source from suppliers of E-clips - but all the supliers I have found only sell the clips!

Does anyone know a good source of different length/diameter hardened pivot pins as I need about 10 of these?

Thanks
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

pivot pins

Hi there, If all else fails try drill shanks of the required dia,you would only need to cut to length and machine the circlip grove

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Hi there, If all else fails try drill shanks of the required dia,you would only need to cut to length and machine the circlip grove
    Hi mate

yes I have done this before usng 3mm drill bits with a clip groove filed in each end and it's what I may do again

There are parts on the gun though where the pins are visible - the sidelever for example and these need to be the proper thing.

I would rather pay a few quid for a bag of 10 or 20 than go through the task of cutting stuff up with a junior hacksaw again though

Thanks for the good recommendation - great minds... etc.

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

edbear2 Guest
    If you google CD (capacitor discharge) weld stud, you should find 3mm pins in various lengths and various materials, but they are normally a fairly soft steel in the plain type (you can get threaded ones of a higher carbon steel.

However, I am not sure just how soft, or if they can be hardened, it's just the description reminded me of this part I have used in the past.

general appearance;

http://www.cutlass-studwelding.com/s...metcdflpin.php (USA company).

U.K. Source (may be worth a call to ask type of material);

http://www.rivetwise.co.uk/productrange/weldstuds.asp

Another part which is similar is often found on brake cables which have a u clevis fitting, I bet there are exactle what you need out there somewhere ready to go, in a decent grade of steel......It's just finding the things / search term

Anyway, will have a think!

(Just re-read the second link, and the studs are 040m10 (low carbon-mild, so not able to heat treat...sorry!)

P.P.S.......CLEVIS PINS!.....that's the chap;

http://www.boneham.co.uk/shop/produc...is_pins_metric

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 09-10-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Dear Eddie

Sorry I have been innatentive and not seen your reply until now.

In the meantime, however I discovered that they were called clevis pins and have ordered 20 from Bonehams (freaky it's the same as you found LOL)

I have gone for the 3 x 16mm pins

They have a hole rather than a groove but I think that based on the original pins being 13.6 / 13.7 mm long I can get these grooved at the right point by a local chap with a lathe and then cut the excess end bit off I may even be able to use them as it with a small clip throug the hole.

Thanks for the great advice anyway mate

Matty

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    .... I may even be able to use them as it with a small clip throug the hole.
    The E-clip is only for retention and the clevis pins with a split pin or R-clip (use a light washer as well if you've the room) will be more than adequate as the pins are not subject to side load.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    The E-clip is only for retention and the clevis pins with a split pin or R-clip (use a light washer as well if you've the room) will be more than adequate as the pins are not subject to side load.
    Indeed and I am happy to go this route if the length of the pin is not an issue (original pins 13.6mm, these are 16mm )

But you try buying an R-clip to fit a 3mm pin with a 1mm hole

Unavailable it seems

They start at 5mm pin with 1.8mm hole apparently...

Unless you can advise please?

Thanks
    Matty

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Indeed and I am happy to go this route if the length of the pin is not an issue (original pins 13.6mm, these are 16mm )

Unavailable it seems

Thanks
    Matty
    Lockwiring will achieve the same result...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Lockwiring will achieve the same result...
    I have my old paperclip colection and my pliers at the ready

I was hoping for a slightly neater solution but as they are out of sight it's not really an issue.

Thanks
    Matty

edbear2 Guest

Unavailable it seems

Thanks
    Matty

Hi Matty, 1mm split pins are fairly easy to get (loads on that site, but in stainless)...Trim and square end before fitting and spread with first a Stanley blade and finish with long nose pliers to get neat (assuming room on the job for the loop end clearance)

Or you could use a roll pin (with or without washer), again trim and square till maybe 1.5-2mm per side bigger than shaft, blue the ends and fit (blued washers look tidy with these and prevent marking the gun).

HTH, regards, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Matty, 1mm split pins are fairly easy to get (loads on that site, but in stainless)...Trim and square end before fitting and spread with first a Stanley blade and finish with long nose pliers to get neat (assuming room on the job for the loop end clearance)

Or you could use a roll pin (with or without washer), again trim and square till maybe 1.5-2mm per side bigger than shaft, blue the ends and fit (blued washers look tidy with these and prevent marking the gun).

HTH, regards, Ed
    Hi Ed

I already have the 1mm x 10mm cotter/split pins on my watch list

I think I have every possibilty covered so far apart from those natty "one way" washers with the little tongues - a decent semi permanent one-use fastener which can be pushed on to just the right position from whence it will not budge.

Have not found those yet for 3mm shaft though...

These are all pins in the trigger set, out of sight so aesthetics are not an isue

Thanks to all for the great advice.

The Clevis pins should arrive tomorrow

Matty