Thread: Diana 280 tuning

Diana 280 tuning

Morning all,
    just bought one of these in .177. It needs a tune, or some grease at the very least.
    Who is the best bloke to get the full potential out of it?
    thanks
    Andrew

V Mach

I don't know if Tony does this as a commercial exercise but I'd go for this ...

http://www.airguntech.com/?p=214

The problem with the well known best tuners is time. The waiting lists are very long. I spoke to Steve at V Mach yesterday and he's very very busy plus he's moving premises so he told me to give him a ring again in a few weeks to see where he's up to.

One of my Venom 77s is playing up so I want that looking at but don't know whether I can wait as I only get to shoot over winter.
    Last edited by bozzer; 13-10-2012 at 07:40 AM.

aston_shooter is offline Sod the PCs, wheres me gun.......
    As Bozzer said, bigtoe knows a thing or two about these, not sure he's taking on projects as he seems to have plenty of his own, but he'll be able to give you some great advice I'm sure.

As said,
    Bigtoe/Tony,
    Good bloke too,

Quote Originally Posted by LeeO View Post
    As said,
    Bigtoe/Tony,
    Good bloke too,
    +1

he's a good egg
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

The SMK SYNSG is a copy of these I believe....and they are very easy to work on.
    I would guess the internals are therefore identical .....but stand to be corrected.
    Will @ Woodfield GunCare.....does the kit for the SYNSG....maybe give him a call or check out his site. www.woodfield-gcp.co.uk

Hes a top bloke, and will be happy to advise.

Hope this helps
    Degs

Quote Originally Posted by DEGS View Post
    The SMK SYNSG is a copy of these I believe....and they are very easy to work on.
    I would guess the internals are therefore identical .....but stand to be corrected.
    Will @ Woodfield GunCare.....does the kit for the SYNSG....maybe give him a call or check out his site. www.woodfield-gcp.co.uk

Hes a top bloke, and will be happy to advise.

Hope this helps
    Degs
    That smk you mention is a copy of Panther model 31 TO-5 trigger
    280 is a different design
    I believe the smk copy is so close, some parts interchange

Often 280 Pistons are out of round, both my .177 and .22 were, no drop in kit will correct this.

If the piston is sleeved you have to reshape the end of the cocking arm.

best spring I found for the 280 is the shortened Titan no11, you have to set it before shortening it, its a stiff spring but works well. You can reuse the OEM rear guide if machined to suit the spring...add a top hat and slip washer at the front

To get the best from a 280 you sleeve the piston , check it for round, add bearings, reshape the cocking arm, change the trigger adjustment screws, polish the transfer port..the gun then is a easy a match for a seriously tuned 95/98...mine are superb (I sold the 98 as the .177 280 was much much better)

Last, call RUAG and order the 16mm barrel weight they do (grub screw fitting) get someone to machine some baffles for you and you get/turn it into a nice silencer..its heavy and settles the gun a treat.

Im about to test Vortek 28mm Diana piston seals in mine, im not to keen on the OEM seal and feel it can be improved upon.

Thanks chaps, some food for thought.
    Andrew

I have always liked the look of this particular gun and may treat myself to one in .22 flavour. However, reading this interesting post makes me wonder if I should keep to my original plan of asking Lloyd at BAR to order me a 95 in .20. The 280 certainly sounds like a cracking gun, but needs a lot of work to perform well from new. For some unknown reason it also reminds me of a FWB Sport!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Model 31/34 compacts are good TO6 Trigger version

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    For some unknown reason it also reminds me of a FWB Sport!

Andy
    Its funny you should say that, I was reading a OLD airgun world and Nick jenkinson was saying the same thing about the old 34s

The 34S was a gun that I always liked the look of but never got round to buying. It seems that the 280 might be its natural successor.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !