Thread: Where can I buy a quality shooting bench rest?

Where can I buy a quality shooting bench rest?

I have seen the Caldwell rock BR at sportsmanguncentre, but really like the look of the Sinclair one which it seems is only available in the States (and the manufacture cant understand that I need a shipping quote!)

Are there any good benchrest suppliers that stock a good range?

Or anyone got a sinclair for sale?
    Last edited by M500dpp; 14-10-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Air arms HFT500, Prosport,
    WH100SK Daystate Griffin

Have a look here.

Quality kit but not what you would call 'economy class', a good range, good service when I've dealt with them in the past and no tax to pay (EU member and all it's advantages!)
    My Toys:-

FWB P70FT+Elite 4200 6-24x40.
    Sako Range+Leupold VXIII6.5-20x40 EFR.
    Anschutz 1407 + B & L 36x
    Marlin .38 CBC Underlever+Marbles tang sight.
    Remington 12c Pump action.
    Martini Henry Bonehill conversion with Greener Barrel.

What next

Speak your truth quietly & clearly and listen to others,
    even the dull & ignorant, they too have their story.

Thanks for that, the site will keep me quiet for bit, there's loads on there!!!!

In the meantime have bought a Caldwell Rock BR, they seem decent value and a nice solid bit of engineering. The only significantly better one I have seen is the Sinclair competition, but it's only available in the states, and I cannot get any sense out of them for shipping costs.

Meanwhile have managed to find an EV2 in stock, apparently there are no more available until February, oh and want an MPR FT? Forget it there seem to be none around at the moment, and no firm availability dates!!!
    Last edited by M500dpp; 14-10-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    WH100SK Daystate Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by M500dpp View Post
    Thanks for that, the site will keep me quiet for bit, there's loads on there!!!!

In the meantime have bought a Caldwell Rock BR, they seem decent value and a nice solid bit of engineering. The only significantly better one I have seen is the Sinclair competition, but it's only available in the states, and I cannot get any sense out of them for shipping costs.

Meanwhile have managed to find an EV2 in stock, apparently there are no more available until February, oh and want an MPR FT? Forget it there seem to be none around at the moment, and no firm availability dates!!!

The EV2 is probably the best 'strait out of the box' Bench Rest Rifle, with a few simple mods it becomes a world class bench rest rifle.

IMO dont go for a MPR, only because an EV2 is regulated and the MPR as standard is not.

EV2

i own and have shot both MPR's and an EV2 in benchrest competitions and agree with Tone that the EV2 reg gives it the edge over a MPR FT and it's ideal for benchrest shooting.

8 BR shooters at our club ( Leics and District) have upgraded from AA400's and MPR's over the last couple of years to EV2's.
    All but one shooter has had an improvement in scores, and only 1 of these EV2's has developed problems (reg creep)

With regard to buying a quality front benchrest pedestal from the States, i have enquired with JJ Loh Industries regarding their pedestal and have not even had a reply from the factory.

Sinclair also advertise this J.J. Loh rest but again cannot supply it as they have no stock. Sinclair have also brought out a new model but it weighs 30 lbs and does not get as good a write up as the JJ Loh rest. So perhaps i will enquire about the Cicognani range, they look good and are a bit cheaper than the USA rests.
    John
    hold me back !!

I don't know if anyone has sugested "Fox Firearms" to you or not, but he sells quality Bench Rest items.

HTH, Vic T

Thanks guys. Couldnt believe how unhelpful the American manifacturers were, no wonder they are in recession!!!

As a starter, I have bought a Caldwell rock BR and it arrived today. Quite pleased with it, but it needs lubing, and I would like to replace the windage knob with a larger version, am looking at a 3" one on the dreaded . Also I'm not too keen on the centre column ball bearings running on aluminium at the bottom and painted cast iron at the top, but I may address this later on if it proves an issue.

Regarding rifles, I have been using my s200 for bench rest and will continue for awhile even though I have the EV2, I want to get my technique better before I mess it all up by changing guns!!!

I have cancelled the MPR, and now plan to use the S200 for HFT and I think all it really needs is the addition of a hamster to make the standing shots (at which I am rubbish!) a bit easier!

I have bought a Vector 10 - 40 x 50 scope for the EV2, which I paid £140 for. These have received mixed reviews, but the ones that rubbish it appear not to have actual experience of it! Anyway I will keep an open mind and report my findings in due course, but as a bigginer will seek the opinion of some experienced bench rest shooters to try and give an open view.

Thanks for all the links, bench rest stuff seems pretty hard to source in the UK.
    WH100SK Daystate Griffin