Thread: musket

musket

i have a 2 band indian musket with a barrel bore around the .68 cal.
    whats the best ball size and patch thickness if i wanted to shoot this please

It's like airguns in the fact every barrle if different, (2 guns that come off the production line one after the other, one likes air arms pellets the other likes bis mags) you have to experiment to find a load (and patch thickness) you and the gun like, a load that's good for someone else might knock you on to your backside or feel like a damp squib going off!
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Sorry mate but havent got a clue with the musket. I see your in Leeds so a trip to Henry Kranks might be a good place to start. Let us know what you find out. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Sorry mate but havent got a clue with the musket. I see your in Leeds so a trip to Henry Kranks might be a good place to start. Let us know what you find out. Tim
    If going to kranks speak to ken he's the black powder boffin
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

B

I know ken but he thinks I am the son of satan as I do not use bp in my pistols but 777 so I give the lecture a miss lol

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    i have a 2 band indian musket with a barrel bore around the .68 cal.
    whats the best ball size and patch thickness if i wanted to shoot this please
    If your musket is .68 cal. then deduct the thickness of the patch to get the ball diameter. ie. .010"thou patch .67 ball. If the patch material is soft then you might be able to use a .67" ball with a .015" thou patch.
    You could go up to about .020"thou patch thickness.

You can only experiment. Your biggest problem will be finding a ball with a diameter that suits the patch. It is difficult to get balls in different sizes as close as the ones you need to try. The only way you can do that is by having the moulds made and that is expensive,
    If you can ask around and acquire a few different sizes of ball before you buy a mould it will save a lot of expense.

Good luck.