Thread: BSA Lightning trigger adjustment?

BSA Lightning trigger adjustment?

A neighbour who has a BSA Lightning has asked me if i can do anything to adjust his trigger? I've done work on the Rekord units in my HW's but i've not worked on the BSA before, can it be improved by polishing the sears like the Rekord, and the pressure lightened? If it can i'd appreciate a guide on how to do it.
    "There is only one god and his name is death... and what do we say to him? Not today"

The trigger pull can certainly be lightened by the adjustment screw. It is a small ( 1.5mm ,I think ?) allen key screw inside the trigger guard. Unscrew to lighten.
    As to polishing, I probably wouldn`t do it on a lightening. Firstly the sears are quite hard and fairly smooth anyway, and secondly, The triggerunit can be tricky to take apart and re-assemble.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    The trigger pull can certainly be lightened by the adjustment screw. It is a small ( 1.5mm ,I think ?) allen key screw inside the trigger guard. Unscrew to lighten.
    As to polishing, I probably wouldn`t do it on a lightening. Firstly the sears are quite hard and fairly smooth anyway, and secondly, The triggerunit can be tricky to take apart and re-assemble.

Pete.
    Thanks Pete, i'll give that a try, he's not after a match trigger. It's just that he shot my HW95 and it's a bit lighter than his at present so he asked me if it could be improved.
    "There is only one god and his name is death... and what do we say to him? Not today"

Quote Originally Posted by paul james View Post
    Thanks Pete, i'll give that a try, he's not after a match trigger. It's just that he shot my HW95 and it's a bit lighter than his at present so he asked me if it could be improved.
    Sorry, but you'll never get a BSA trigger anywhere as good as a Rekord.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    Sorry, but you'll never get a BSA trigger anywhere as good as a Rekord.

Gus
    Maybe not, but if i can improve it a little for the bloke...

lightning trigger tune

I took a supersport(same mech) trigger apart & carefully polished the burrs off ,then shimmed the side play on the pins with small nylon washers I happened to have . Improved it a lot, still have the test target I shot at 10m with it, 10 shot cloverleaf. The adjuster screw should be screwed out to lighten it too. still not a patch on a record though, but at least it had a predictable let off point. Hold senstivity is crucial on these rifles, too hard a hold will definetly adversly affect accurcy.

I also changed the main spring , used a Welsh Willy spring , reduced power to 10.5 .

That plus the little you can do to the trigger improved the rifle dramatically .

Oh , I think I also stuffed a bit of lead into the stock , mine was the tactical .

But , the trigger is never going to be any where near a record one .

I have a Supersport Custom from the late eighties, the trigger will adjust down to about 6-8 oz totally creep free, although I set @ about 1lb+. These triggers improve with age it seems and although technically inferior to a Rekord can feel every bit as good IME.

Thanks chaps, the gun was reading 10.9 with Superdomes on Sunday, about right for the gun and it's use.. blagging rats in his garden... i'll adjust it with the screw and see if he's happy with it as it is.