Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ParkerHale two band Navy.

Hi Steve, nope i havent got a sizing die for this calibre. Bullets fit and load ok, they just come out sideways. Tim

Lyman 575213-OS Mould.

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Hi Sergeant Possum, many thanks for your post. My mold is the Lyman 575213AM which casts a .578" bullet using pure lead such as roof flashing and water pipeing. I must admit iv never gone down to 45grns but have tried 50 to 80 grns over the years. Will try loading up with 45 grns and give it a go next time out and keep my eyes open for a 575213OS mold. Tim
    I'll be happy to see if I can scare one up here in the states and send it to you. I assume that moulds are not regulated in the UK, and that I wouldn't run afoul of HM Customs and Excise.

By the way..... what are you using for lube?

Many Thanks, will keep your offer in mind if i cant find one here in the UK. So far iv been using Wonderlube on my minnies. Use it melted on my patches and for 45/70 b/p loads as well. Used to use it for over ball lubing in my b/p revolvers but found waterpump grease works just as well and costs next to nothing. Best Wishes, Tim

Many Thanks, will keep your offer in mind if i cant find one here in the UK. So far iv been using Wonderlube on my minnies. Use it melted on my patches and for 45/70 b/p loads as well. Used to use it for over ball lubing in my b/p revolvers but found waterpump grease works just as well and costs next to nothing. Best Wishes, Tim
    Since coming back to UK in 1984 I've been using E45 - an emulsified skin cream that not only keeps the fouling soft [and your hands] but washes away entirely when cleaning the gun, leaving no residue of any kind.

But Alox on the Minié bullets...

tac

Lube for Minie Balls

The team I shoot with ("Washington Blue Rifles") all use our home-made lube: 2 parts beeswax melted with one part Crisco brand shortening. I've known other shooters to use olive oil instead of the Crisco, but have never tried that mix.