Thread: Question about Pistol zero

Question about Pistol zero

Getting into pistols lately and was just wondering what is the best range to zero at.

dont mean to sound horrible but the best distance is the distance you will shoot most.i mainly shoot 6 yards so my pistol is zero to 6 yards. theres no point in zeroing at 10 meters if you only ever shoot 6 yard vise versa.

Plinking

As said, depends what discipline you use the pistol for and the effective range of the particular pistol. My Crosman 600 I sight in at 20 metres as I can plink at small targets consistently at that range. My Baikal IZH-46M I use at 25 metres.The Umarex type pistols such as CP88, C225, etc I think 10 metres max.I think it is horses for courses. For instance it is pointless having a quality PCP pistol shooting at short distance of say 6 metres, there is no challenge involved.All this advice applies to plinking. If of course you are shooting a competition at a set distance the sights should be adjusted to that distance.

Baz

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkerpaul View Post
    Getting into pistols lately and was just wondering what is the best range to zero at.
    If your pistol has any kind of clicking screw (don't know tech term) on the rear sight you can keep a note of the number of clicks or turns required at several distances, you need to do this for police pistol which is a 3 distance discipline requiring sight adjustment between each component.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    As said, depends what discipline you use the pistol for and the effective range of the particular pistol. My Crosman 600 I sight in at 20 metres as I can plink at small targets consistently at that range. My Baikal IZH-46M I use at 25 metres.The Umarex type pistols such as CP88, C225, etc I think 10 metres max.I think it is horses for courses. For instance it is pointless having a quality PCP pistol shooting at short distance of say 6 metres, there is no challenge involved.All this advice applies to plinking. If of course you are shooting a competition at a set distance the sights should be adjusted to that distance.

Baz
    Why no challenge at 6 metres?If the targets are scaled for the distance surely it's the same.

i have a cp88 i bought from a friend whose son has given up target pistol shooting since he has found out what girls are, i always fancied a cp88 so jumped at the chance of it. the fact that i cant hit a barn door while stood in front of it hasnt put me off it yet tho, 20mm diameter discs at about 6yards is my limit for the moment, wicked piece of kit but think i better stick to my s410
    Thanks for coming, you've been a right laugh

Pistol set up ranges

I think the Gent who said Horses for courses was on the money,

But..?

You can set the average Umarexish lookalikes at 6yds so that when you aim at the bottom of a 15mm bull it hits the centre,
    move out to 10 yds and shoot straight at the bull for a hit, this is particularly effective for pistol HFT,

This can work for many pistols, all you have to do is remember where a particular pistol shoots at 6 and 10 yds,
    even label the cases as such,

PCP's can be way different,

I set my scoped Brocock Grand Prix .177 at 35 yds and 10 yds as I do my rifles, and basically shoot it as a rifle,

This may not work for everyone, but time and patience counts for much,

Just my take on the subject,

Bernard.

It really depends on the pistol.
    If its a Umarex type CO2, 6yds is all you'll be able to shoot with anything approaching accuracy.
    If its a mid-tier springer (Hatsan 25, Webley Overlever etc) then good groups at 10yds are your aim.
    If it's top-tier springer (HW45), PCP or CO2 single shot (2240, Benjamin EB) then 20yds is about right.

There's no point trying to zero a gun at 20yds if it's not capable of shooting accurately at that distance - you'll just get frustrated.