Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: original or reproduction revolver

Jennings do you want to collect guns as an investment or shoot them? Remember the 2 seldom go hand in hand as the more you use them the more the value drops
    Just buy a reproduction and shoot it till your grinning like a maniac!
    Last edited by airgunnut; 28-10-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Why did the gubmint take your exempt BP revolver?

tac
    Are we missing something here? "Exempt BP revolver". Is this one exempt under the handgun ban or exempt as an antique?
    If it is a repro then the police will have taken the spare cylinder. They should not have done it with an original. If they have the answer would have been to take it "Off-Ticket" and keep it just as a curio.
    What is stupid is the fact that you can have two revolvers the same caliber...but not a spare cylinder!

I have heard of people buying a commemorative boxed set (repro) BP revolver that had a spare cylinder and it was allowed here because of it being a collectable item!

There is no consistency in the way the the rules are administered.

What possible reason was there for doing that?

It was a black powder revolver cylinder...not a centre-fire revolver cylinder.
    The whole point in taking all our guns was they decided we were potential homicidal maniacs so they didn't want me having a quick reload so I could shoot 12 children instead of just 6
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Well I seemed to have opened up a number of threads here,
    The reason for an original over a modern reproduction was based on what I have read up on so far indicates that they are better made and more accurate than the modern ones. Obviously the main consideration is cost, to pay a large amount for an original revolver in excellent condition and then take it to the range on a regular basis would as metioned be detrimental. I have a boxed Colt pocket that falls into this catagory but also have a Adams 120 bore which cost a lot less and would be perfect for putting on ticket if I was shooting in those compertions.
    Both the Snider and the Martini that I shoot were not expensive, £250 and £320 repectiveley and required a bit of work to get them up to standard. The only down side is the cost of the brass.
    So my train of thought is, if I can source an original in reasonable condition with a bore not deeply pitted and moderate wear to the ratchet and cylinder at the right price then that would be the Johnny for me . If it didn't perform then I can take it back to antique and off ticket, if I didn't bugger it up, it will hold its value.
    There appears to be an awful lot of 2nd hand reproductions on the market.
    As no one I know shoots either, that was the reason for the post to see what the consensus was on the forum.
    To make matters more complicated someone this wekend surgested I look at Hege
    Any ill thought out legislation, rushed through will be detrimental, be it guns or dangerous dogs.
    I can remember very well, working one Friday night in Peckham and listening to the gun fire as the locals were trying to kill each other thinking that the handgun ban had obviously been a great success.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Are we missing something here? "Exempt BP revolver". Is this one exempt under the handgun ban or exempt as an antique?
    If it is a repro then the police will have taken the spare cylinder. They should not have done it with an original. If they have the answer would have been to take it "Off-Ticket" and keep it just as a curio.
    What is stupid is the fact that you can have two revolvers the same caliber...but not a spare cylinder!

I have heard of people buying a commemorative boxed set (repro) BP revolver that had a spare cylinder and it was allowed here because of it being a collectable item!

There is no consistency in the way the the rules are administered.
    1. AFAIK modern replica black powder handguns that are by description muzzle-loaders - ie, cap and ball/flintloc/matchlock/wheellock et al - were exempted from the GB-only handgun ban on cartridge-firing handguns.

2. This means that no part of any BP handgun was subject to the confiscation enactment.

3. If he had it on his license before the ban as a spare cylinder for his BP handgun, then it should not have been affected in any way by the other handgun ban.

4. So, please explain why the 'police will have taken the spare cylinder'.

Thanks

tac

After they took my pistols I had to send my ticket in for a variation to remove the guns they had taken. The spare cylinder was considered to be a slot on my ticket which they wouldn't renew so I couldn't keep it. I think it may have gone to a dealer. It was a long time ago and my memory may play me false. I know I had a spare cylinder for my Remington .44 and that afterwards I didn't. It was a repro so I couldn't take it off ticket.

On the face of it I should have been able to keep the spare cylinder but they still didn't let me. I wasn't in a position to complain as I was waiting for the so called compensation and I didn't want to risk it being delayed. I think the guns were not exempt but spare cylinders were so we didn't have a quick reload option.
    Last edited by Bjacobs571; 29-10-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

4. So, please explain why the 'police will have taken the spare cylinder'.

Thanks

tac
    As Bjacobs 571 said, They did not want anyone to have a method of quick reloading and getting too many shots off at any one time.
    As far as I know that criteria still stands, and you will still not be granted a spare cylinder. But you can have two guns of the same caliber!

I can see why you would enjoy shooting old pistols I had a Frommer stopp.32 a 9mm Luger a Pryse Patent .455 and a few BP pistols, which I enjoyed shooting but they were not everyday pistols to shoot . My everyday pistols were my S&W 357mag, S&W .44 mag, CZ 75 9mm and .22 target pistols. As I think I said an antique pistol is great as a once in a while fun pistol but for everyday shooting a repro is a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    As Bjacobs 571 said, They did not want anyone to have a method of quick reloading and getting too many shots off at any one time.
    As far as I know that criteria still stands, and you will still not be granted a spare cylinder. But you can have two guns of the same caliber!
    Ah, I had hoped that your response was going to make sense to me.

Élas, it does not.

Many people here have a second cylinder for their BP revolver - a recent thread shows it to be fact.

As for 'getting too many shots off at one time', it is still a single-action revolver that we are talking about that still has to be cocked for each shot, and I defy anybody to change a cylinder in anything like the same time that it takes to remove and install a fresh magazine...

Of course, it does not make sense, like 90% of all gun 'law' in this country.

tac

It probably depends on where you live and which police authority is in charge and how they interpret the law, and remember this was just after the ban where they may have been stricter.

Its not nearly as quick as dropping a mag and slamming in another one but its much faster than reloading a cylinder or single barrel. I think I could shoot a single action nearly as fast as an auto by fanning the hammer like on a new model army (Peacemaker). just because its a BP revolver it doesn't mean it has to be shot slowly.

I had 2 .45 BP pistols, both were a Kentucky style one was percussion and the other was flintlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    Its not nearly as quick as dropping a mag and slamming in another one but its much faster than reloading a cylinder or single barrel. I think I could shoot a single action nearly as fast as an auto by fanning the hammer like on a new model army (Peacemaker). just because its a BP revolver it doesn't mean it has to be shot slowly.
    My comment was actually a rhetorical one, in what seems to have been a failed attempt by me to prove the fallacious and specious argument that may have been put up by the police force who needlessly deprived you of a part of your still-legal firearm - one that was NOT included in the wholesale gun seizure by the UK government.

Thanks for the lesson on how to shoot a revolver.

tac