Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad News re Theoben!

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    I too find it sad.

When they started out, I met Dave and Ben when they were in my local gunshop Russell Walkyers in Saffron Walden demonstrating the pre-production Scirroco.

They had 2 rifles with them and I got to talk to Ben and Dave and they spent ages explaining how they worked and were very enthusiastic. I was able to handle the guns and have a couple of shots and remember how beautifully engineered they were.

I had an early Scirocco in .22 with the beach stock and no opens sights and used to shoot cigerette butts almost every time at 25 yards, it was very accurate.

It's a shame how things have turned out.
    I agree they are very accurate! just got to get some lighter pellets that fit!

Talking

For me it is sad as theoben was always the gun many people aspired to own and for good reason.

I am lucky enough to have owned a few models and hope to in the future. People can say what they like but I have had great memories of hunting/ target shooting and generally owning rapids and mfr's.

When they bought out the mark four trigger and were knocking them out for just over £800 they were very well priced next to other manufacturers.

They were good guns and worked well. However the service was poor and you don't expect that from a make like theoben and they never shouted loud enough about their products, another big mistake.

But, I hope they get the opportunity to carry on, get those fellas back in a job and learn from their mistakes. Can you imagine how boring the conversation is going to be if daystate and theoben fans can't argue over which new gun is the best, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by verminshooter29 View Post
    nobody to blame but yourself mate. Any second hand gun could be trouble. Try before you buy.
    I did try before I bought and in the test area I had with the poor scope on it at the time it appeared fine, it was the following weekend when I put a decent scope on and tryed to zero that I the games began ! I even sent it to SCR and I still didnt rate it when I got it back !
    .177 HW100 KT, Hawke Sidewinder 4-14x44 SR Pro, A&M Twink Modorator.

I am a definite Theoben fan. I have owned loads of them and only sold any of them to buy a better one or because I felt I had too many air rifles. I currently own 3 Rapids-.177 legal limit and .20 and .22 FAC. They are all spot on and totally reliable. I have just been out shooting with the FAC .22 running at 32 ft lb and it effortlessly took down a pigeon at about 50 yards. It never seems to miss. I love the Fenman especially in .20 and the mighty Eliminator should at the very least be tried by anyone who claims to be a serious shooter. To say I am sad at their demise is an understatement.
    The only point I would make is that the gasram-advertised as 'more reliable, will last for ever etc etc' still fails as it can lose air when a seal fails. OK springs CAN break but on balance I think I prefer a spring to a gasram for predictable reliability although I do like the short lock time and snappy firing cycle of the gasram especially the .20 Fenman.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 23-10-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Theoben gone

As a first time user on the forum it's sad to be talking about the demise of another British company,however i have heard that all is not yet cut and dried,i could be wrong but it could be another case of a ltd company declaring themselves bankrupt to clear out standing debts.Having read most of the threads concerning this subject i have to agree,Theoben LTD brought this on there selves,Ben Taylor told me him self the other week the reason he sold out was because he felt the company wasn't moving forward,he felt they were being left behind.When you realise they were against fitting a reg to the MK2 you can understand his concerns.As an owner of a MFR carbine im now worried about the availability of spares,i tried sourcing a set of 30mm rings yesterday and could find only one rfd with one set left and the price had risen nearly a tenner from last month.
    Sad times indeed,they didn't help there cause by allowing the patent to lapse on the gas ram either IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid rat assas View Post
    As a first time user on the forum it's sad to be talking about the demise of another British company,however i have heard that all is not yet cut and dried,i could be wrong but it could be another case of a ltd company declaring themselves bankrupt to clear out standing debts.Having read most of the threads concerning this subject i have to agree,Theoben LTD brought this on there selves,Ben Taylor told me him self the other week the reason he sold out was because he felt the company wasn't moving forward,he felt they were being left behind.When you realise they were against fitting a reg to the MK2 you can understand his concerns.As an owner of a MFR carbine im now worried about the availability of spares,i tried sourcing a set of 30mm rings yesterday and could find only one rfd with one set left and the price had risen nearly a tenner from last month.
    Sad times indeed,they didn't help there cause by allowing the patent to lapse on the gas ram either IMHO.
    You don't just allow a patent to expire-they are time limited.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

[QUOTE=Rapidnick;5697676]You don't just allow a patent to expire-they are time limited.[/QUOTE

Never knew that buddy,was allways under the impression you owned the rights to a patent and it was up to the patent holder to renew as and when.Don't i feel a complete tool now,oh well you lives and learns.

In 1990 I went to the factory in St.Ives and bought a new Sirocco .177, and was served personally by both Ben and Dave. You could do that in those days, and were welcomed!
    That rifle was, and remains, a beautiful quality rifle, hugely accurate with a superb walnut stock, and retains the same slug of air inside it some 22 years later!

Compare the poor quality control evident when using the latest rifles, together with poor service & attitude, and you have a good part of the answer why Theoben is now where its at.
    For example last year my local gunshop took delivery of a pair of pre charged rifles that were ordered 11 (eleven) months previously!

No company will survive if the management allow such things to happen. A shame of course but entirely inevitable!

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    In 1990 I went to the factory in St.Ives and bought a new Sirocco .177, and was served personally by both Ben and Dave. You could do that in those days, and were welcomed!
    That rifle was, and remains, a beautiful quality rifle, hugely accurate with a superb walnut stock, and retains the same slug of air inside it some 22 years later!

Compare the poor quality control evident when using the latest rifles, together with poor service & attitude, and you have a good part of the answer why Theoben is now where its at.
    For example last year my local gunshop took delivery of a pair of pre charged rifles that were ordered 11 (eleven) months previously!

No company will survive if the management allow such things to happen. A shame of course but entirely inevitable!
    They made you feel like a lower class muppet ,if you contacted them; I`m glad they are gone!, there was too much elitist snobbery involved ,I`m glad I have gotten rid of my Fenman!
    Webley Longbow SE; 0.22
    Weihrauch HW80; 0.22 (1987.)
    Beeman P17/HW40 "hybrid" pistol; 0.177

Sad new for all the employees.......but

The experiences I had when dealing with Theoben were truly awful. When you don't run your company properly, employ the wrong staff (frosty knickers and vinegar tits ) is a good example then ultimately you fail.

There will be many other contributory factors as to why, but Theobens poor attitude to its customers helped accelerate its demise in my opinion.

I can honestly say I never had any problem with Theoben service over the years, visited the factory quite a few times and enjoyed each one, went to lunch with Ben and Dave etc a few times, always had a laugh

I will miss them all, still got Ben and Martin to pester now and then though

As for "rough shooting inaccurate Rapids" any PCP can be rough if its been set up incorrectly, and the Rapid must be the most butchered air rifle ever made, usually by the backyard dustbin drillers. Set up properly a decent Rapid is still the best hunting PCP of the lot IMO, and I have used just about all makes and types
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    I can honestly say I never had any problem with Theoben service over the years, visited the factory quite a few times and enjoyed each one, went to lunch with Ben and Dave etc a few times, always had a laugh

As for "rough shooting inaccurate Rapids" any PCP can be rough if its been set up incorrectly, and the Rapid must be the most butchered air rifle ever made, usually by the backyard dustbin drillers. Set up properly a decent Rapid is still the best hunting PCP of the lot IMO, and I have used just about all makes and types
    Good to see you on here Baz

I hope all is well with you

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Gas rams

Hello!

I read on rapid forum that someone just bought a new Evo and it was doing 7lbs/ft out of the box.I had my evo fitted with new ram (again!) about a year ago and its down to 8lbs/ft now.

Like everyone else has said ,it's not surprising their recent quality and customer service/attitude has lead to their ultimate demise.

Does anyone know of a suitable mod to power it by a good old-fashioned spring 'cos I've had it up to here
    with Theoben's own leaky rams.

Here's hoping their staff get new jobs really soon.Why is it that firms always decide to dump staff before Christmas? I've had that four times in about 30 years!

go and have cuppa now and maybe put a large rum in it.!

All the best, O

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post

With respect Baz you weren`t one of the masses, my local shop owner used to come off the phone feelng total frustration and dreading his next call to Theoben, I actually winessed a call were he took several minutes just to get them to agree to order a barrel for a customer (a professional pest controller who knows guns inside and out!)who wanted to change calibre.They wanted the gun returned to them to do the work and charge accordingly for it!
    Webley Longbow SE; 0.22

Quote Originally Posted by harry palmer View Post
    With respect Baz you weren`t one of the masses, my local shop owner used to come off the phone feelng total frustration and dreading his next call to Theoben, I actually winessed a call were he took several minutes just to get them to agree to order a barrel for a customer (a professional pest controller who knows guns inside and out!)who wanted to change calibre.They wanted the gun returned to them to do the work and charge accordingly for it!
    The above begs the question "does anyone have the misfortune to have a gun at Theoben for a service?"
    Webley Longbow SE; 0.22