Thread: Polishing a t*rd

Polishing a t*rd

Just stripped the stock of my FWB 124.

previously it had a really thick coat of French polish, and now I know why - the grain and general quality of the wood is truly hideous, at first I thought the original stain had gone much deeper than I had ever seen but no, it's just a blotchy piece of timber with some bizarre parts to it.

Basically what do you folks think are my options, can you bleach wood or should I try staining it a really dark colour to hide the imperfections?

TIA
    I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable

I'd say "bite the bullet" and get a 'raw' stock from

http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251687.htm

My sister's FWB 127, looks a whole lot better for it

Andrew

Gary C Guest
    There's not enough polish in the world to do the one that I did in Popham toilets at the Bunny Bash today

Lash13 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryPotter
    Just stripped the stock of my FWB 124.

previously it had a really thick coat of French polish, and now I know why - the grain and general quality of the wood is truly hideous, at first I thought the original stain had gone much deeper than I had ever seen but no, it's just a blotchy piece of timber with some bizarre parts to it.

Basically what do you folks think are my options, can you bleach wood or should I try staining it a really dark colour to hide the imperfections?

TIA
    What about spray painting it?

It's an option, I am toying with staining it Dark Oak to see what it will hide.

and enter the Hydrographics arguement - mentioned in other posts - but NO don't do it - I am kidding - either new stock or a dark stain (they did it for a reason).
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

draftsmann Guest
    Not that it's any consolation to you, but the early FWB Sports (like mine )often featured figured beech of very high quality - much better in fact than the walnut used in many "custom" stocks these days.

There, you feel better now, don't you?

Adrian

draftsmann Guest
    As a serious response, one option (if you're brave) might be to apply a tiger-stripe effect with a blowtorch. I've never attempted it but have seen some stunning stocks done this way.

Adrian

It's an option, I certainly don't have a lot to lose.

My stock is an early Mk1, odd that it's such a pile of monkey dump grain wise.
    Last edited by HarryPotter; 15-04-2005 at 05:35 PM.

Bleaching wood.

Buy Oxalic acid from the chemists...Mix to a paste and smear on the stain to be bleached.
    After about 10 mins wipe off and check the effect...You usually need repeated applications and/or longer treatment...
    Oxalic acid also found in rhubarb leaves
    ( You learn a useful fact every day !! )

Finished polishing - ended up with this;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...123/sport2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...123/sport1.jpg

Still a wierd piece of wood though. I was going to black the cocking aid thingy - it's ally and very light - cheers Neil, but I quite like it in it's natural finish.

The Mongoose kit goes in next week (as long as I finsh putting my 300 back together)