Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharp innova (what pellet?????)

Sharp innova (what pellet?????)

Hi guys,
    Whilst waiting for some parts for my webley mk 3 to arrive I decided to pull out my sharp innova .177.

My question is for anyone that has one or has any knowledge of what was the best pellet that used to suit yours and what sort of accuracy did you have at what sort of distance.

I know that I found a pellet once that put 4 through the same hole at 24 yards with a scope but can't remember what brand. Think it may have been ftt specials (weihrauch/ h&n brand?)

Looking forward to any suggestions and any info.

There's something magical about this gun, I've done a few mods to the stock and pump arm which makes it much nicer to pump and hold, but never managed to get into it enough and find out what it really likes to eat!??

Any suggestions welcome
    (love these guns)

Daniel

Bump!

innova

my .22 loves sperdomes and is spot on 20 to 35 yrds
    hw 80 .22 mk1
    sharp innova .22
    hw 95 177

Quote Originally Posted by w preston View Post
    my .22 loves sperdomes and is spot on 20 to 35 yrds
    Thats one pellet I don't think I have tried, look forward to trying it out!

Bisley Magnums every time - I use nothing else in .177 Innovas

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    Bisley Magnums every time - I use nothing else in .177 Innovas

Matty
    Thanks Matty, I was waiting for you to post, I've never been in contact with you before but if I'm not mistaken I remember seeing allot of your pictures of your novas.

I love magnums so I hope mine will shoot them accurate.

How many pumps do you give yours and what power do you normally shoot with? and what sort of groups do you get at 30 and 45 with magnums?

Sorry for the questions but I've never really tested my innova for accuracy because of doing too many hft events and not having the time, but it's one gun that I really want to enjoy.

I did a 1/2 inch unf conversion on mine to accept a hw silencer and serviced her, done the stock with stippling and new pump arm, but never got round to finding a good pellet!

Thanks for your time, look forward to hearing from you
    Daniel

innova pellet

interesting thread , didn't realise till this year after getting an ace then visiting local shop to get pellets and nothing there i recognised(i to was used to buying H&N) years ago but everthing was new. 2.2 pellets seem to be two differant calibres now 5.5 and 5.6? someone did tell me it depends on where the gun is from it likes a certain pellet? my old innova used to like H&n super points, put pellet upon pellet mark. must admit a cracking little gun - so light and accurate.

matty still waiting for a tinkle off ya.... want to pick brains and more..

I must admit, ive never tried any pointed pellet since the hustlers in the 80's but I may well try some.

Maybe Marty boy is on holiday????

I do love how light the innovas are and I've set my pump head up so that I don't need to slam it shut every pump it hits the valve just before the forend touches the cylinder for the fist 6 pumps then the 7th will shut flush. This has made it a joy to pump and quite!

Come on Matty educate me on the Innova I need to learn what's best to use and best power, and anything which makes the trigger any better ect...

Daniel

Since around 1980 I've use Mt Star Jet pointed pellets or Beeman Silver Jets , and Beeman Silver Sting all discontinued , but can still be found on trading posts and e b a y . For hunting only purpose only (won't take many per serious outing). Mostly used in my .22 cal Innova 1 , but I now have a Victory in .22cal with an old SHARP scope set up for 30m.

Quote Originally Posted by windygap View Post
    Since around 1980 I've use Mt Star Jet pointed pellets or Beeman Silver Jets , and Beeman Silver Sting all discontinued , but can still be found on trading posts and e b a y . For hunting only purpose only (won't take many per serious outing). Mostly used in my .22 cal Innova 1 , but I now have a Victory in .22cal with an old SHARP scope set up for 30m.
    Always fancied a victory because of the trigger. I not long ago had a very very rare sharp ace in concours condition which took me 3 years to find in that condition. It had never had more than 200 pellets through it in its life, and the collector I bought it of had had it since new and had the barrel screw cut at the factory to accept half inch unf silencer. It was a rolls Royce.

But you know good guns sometimes slip through the net unfortunately when the money takes over, then you regret it after when its too late! At least it went to a good home.

My Innova had always been one of those pretty but ruff and ready sort of guns which just feels so pointerble and I really would like to get to the bottom of what pellets it will shoot the most accurate with. Just gonna take some time!

Sorry chaps

This thread did not catch my eye again for some reason after I first posted.

.177 I set up to give 11.3-ish ft lb at 10 pumps - if you acheive 11+ at fewer pumps in my experience, the gun will go over the top after 11,12,13 etc. pumps

.22 I set up to give 11.3-ish ft lb at 7 pumps - ditto as above

I use Bis Mag for .177 and AA Hunter for .22

The only pellet which I found totally unsuitable was .22 Logun Penetrator - they were awful in two of my .22 Innovas so I stopped testing them.

Accuracy is excellent in almost every Innova I have tried - one had a rust spot 10mm into the barrel and was awful and so I had it lathed down by 12mm and recrowned. It's now as good as my others.

1/2 inch groups at 35 yards are quite normal off a bipod - I do all my zeroing and testing off a bag/bipod and hunt with the Innova off a bipod.

The .177 which I use for lamping is very very effective - it looks rough on the outside but is quiet to pump (leather strip glued to pump tube) and I have succesfully pumped it up 10 strokes with rabbits only 25 yards away whilst lying on my back in the dark

I have never tried to fettle the Innova trigger as I find it creepy but predictable - you get used to is after a few dozen shots in my experience - they are not that bad really.

Matty

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan944 View Post
    Always fancied a victory because of the trigger. I not long ago had a very very rare sharp ace in concours condition which took me 3 years to find in that condition. It had never had more than 200 pellets through it in its life, and the collector I bought it of had had it since new and had the barrel screw cut at the factory to accept half inch unf silencer. It was a rolls Royce.

But you know good guns sometimes slip through the net unfortunately when the money takes over, then you regret it after when its too late! At least it went to a good home.

My Innova had always been one of those pretty but ruff and ready sort of guns which just feels so pointerble and I really would like to get to the bottom of what pellets it will shoot the most accurate with. Just gonna take some time!

I'm not a fan of domed pellets for hunting, to many have been unable to penetrate at distance. I perfer the pointed pellets , as they aren't going to be turned aside 99% of the time.
    A Sharp Victory does have a nice trigger , here in the USA they are rare & practically unheard of , it was a quality air gun. I just happen to prefer my .22 Innova on most hunts with its open sight over the scoped Victory. Innova is certainly one of the most comfortable air guns to handle , shoot and carry I 've had the pleasure of owning. I must try some of the Bisley hunting pellets !!! Haven't seen them for sale over here. I'll see if I can't chase down a tin.
    Last edited by windygap; 29-10-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Hello a quick qusetion regarding sharp innovas
    I have 2 sharp innoavs
    I think i is a mk1 as it has no safty and one is a mk2 as it does have a safety both are .22
    the mk2 is a little weird you have to do the fist pump quite gently other wise it doesn't hold the air
    with my mk1 you can bump fairly quickly and then the odd pump will not enter the chamber.
    is this standard ?
    If this is not can anyone tell me if this is an easy fix?

many thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by evets_elpmis82 View Post
    Hello a quick qusetion regarding sharp innovas
    I have 2 sharp innoavs
    I think i is a mk1 as it has no safty and one is a mk2 as it does have a safety both are .22
    the mk2 is a little weird you have to do the fist pump quite gently other wise it doesn't hold the air
    with my mk1 you can bump fairly quickly and then the odd pump will not enter the chamber.
    is this standard ?
    If this is not can anyone tell me if this is an easy fix?

many thanks Steve
    Try a tiny drop of gun oil like bisley in the cylinder where the pump rides up and down for the pump seal to prime itself, it may be bone dry. It has happened to me before bit I have taken the gun apart so many times that everytime I do it gets a service. Alternatively your pump head may need adjusting slightly longer as it may be too far apart from the valve as the arm is fully shut? If the drop of oil doesn't help, let me know and I will try and rally you through it.
    Daniel

thought it was a big no-no to put oil in the cylinder? my 2.2 innova sometimes looses the first pump but find sometimes if you flick the trigger before pumping this sometimes stops this happening.it's 30 years since i took mine apart cos of this problem, and if i remember right there was a metal block above the trigger where a small piston released into an hole in the block for the air to release.there was a rubber o ring where the piston went in and would sometimes stick so stopping the piston returning back into position.me i put a pellet in the hole so the piston would hit and hopefully go back - which it did and it's still working today?? more luck than judement me thinks....